St Albans half marathon

kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing this?   

Hadn't heard of it before...but needed to find another half marathon to do before the summer, so entered. Their rule for banning iPods seems to be causing a stink on their Facebook page....I like the rule, don't like the stink. 

Anyone have any tips about the route? 

Comments

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

...tumbleweed......

Does this mean I'll come in first place?

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

I ran it a couple of years ago, there was a little climb around the park at the finish as I recall which I could have done without.  It's my 3rd best ever time and I've run 26 halfs so must be reasonably quick course.  There is also a Fred Highes 10 miler in January which I ran last year that does part of the same course.  I try not to run the same half twice which is the only reason why I haven't run it since.  Saying that there aren't many halfs in June so I suspect as it's reasonably local I'll end up doing it again at some point.  Best of luck!

• Have never done it, mainly because it's my long slow run route once a week. It's a nice route, through the park then golf course then a stretch along a busier road to get to an extended section on country lanes. I would say it's gently up and down throughout, no major hills though not much totally flat running. The course is much better than the old one, which was very congested. Always seems to be very warm the weekend of the HM, so do take care.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone!  Looking foward to it!

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Over the last few years it hasn`t been a particularly fast course - quite a few undulations.

This year they have changed the course: see http://www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk/Assets/St.+Albans+Half+Marathon+Digital+Assets/Half+Marathon+2013+new+route.pdf

Apart from the stretches along the Hemel Road it`s bumpy.

There are hills at - (2) - (2)  (Bluehouse Hill) - which I think you do twice;  - (5) - (5) up into Batchwood - q gentle;  - (14) - (15) up Bedmond Lane towards Serge Hill (lasts @ 1/2 mile but not too steep); - (20 - (21) (Q short but unpleasant) ; (23) (v short but v unpleasant at that stage). The run back along Bedmond Lane is a bit lumpy.

Having said that, it`s  an attractive course and a great event. Just don`t get carried away at the start and pace yourself sensibly !

Best of luck (I shall be watching this year).

• I'm doing it as my first half. It's wuite bumpy at the end so as beetle says, save a bit in the tank.

• I've done it a few times, the last mile or so is down hill but the rest of the course is pretty bumpy.  I've never PB'd there, but it is a great race and the ice lolly at the end is a brilliant touch image

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

The last mile is the easiest mile of the route. Downhill and into the (flat) park.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Thanks beetle, good to know...

Cp -good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

Poots - yeah,not expecting a PB will just enjoy the day and wait for the lolly!