Kent Roadrunner Marathon

Comments

• Hi Emmy, yes will let you know what I think of your singing, maybe if you're behind and it's so bad I might even get pushed on for a faster time??? lol (I'm sure this won't be the case image)

This is the link I use, hopefully this works.....

http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourByHour-UKXX0085:1:UK?pagenum=4&nextbeginIndex=30

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

At least I can then say I paced you to a faster timeimage

I just wanted to wish everyone running tomorrow an absolutely FANTASTIC race. I hope that you get the time/enjoyment that you want and if i'm lucky to meet some of you -i'll be very happy to have achieved that!

• And then from Metcheck, I've got light rain in the morning....

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=DA11%207NP&day=1

Whatever it is, best of luck all - I'm number 185, and will be clad pretty much as in my image, including trademark bright orange cap - good whatever the weather!

If anyone sees me, tell me to slow down and remind me I'll only blow up - I'm relying on that to get me through the last third.....

• quick post - getting train in a couple of hours. Pretty nervous now - preparing for a big meeting in work on monday afternoon. Not great timing!

hope everyone has a safe journey and a good race tomorrow. You lot better save me some cake in the cafe! image

Have checked BBC forecast for Gravesend and it's looking ok image Nice temperatures, sunny and cloudy intervals.

Ed - doesn't sound like we will miss you with that cap!

• an updated weather report 

just driven past the cyclo park 

overcast with breaks of sunshine 

around 12 degrees  so looking good for ttomorrow's 

thats me done for the week at work little snooze maybe a jog later then  

early night  

see you all tomorrow 

• Hey all - loved it out there today!  Only managed to meet Emmy - it was GREAT!  Thank you for all your support - it was great to hear you calling my name as we saw each other!  I was in a slight world of pain out there at times today but I redeemed my London performance - I'll be back next year! Hope you had a great day out there Emmy and all others - and hope to see you again. 

Emmy - you're a superstar!  That's all! 

• My first marathon today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially running with Emmy and Mel from Fetch for a few laps. How the hell am I so sunburnt though? I know the sun shone for a while but my wife and kids just keep pointing and laughing at me cos I'm so red!

• Well done everyone! phew... That was a tough run but i just love that medal, it's bloody enormous!! I also managed to get a burn on too. If i'm feeling absolutely mental may even join next year. CONGRATS TO ALL!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done all, I was the nutter going the wrong way round, calling out names and encouraging you all, and you all did so wellimageimageimage

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭

Well done RJF at least you came first in category. maybe they should reverse the route for 2014 would be nice to run down that hill by the start area rather than up

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Believe me the hill the other side was not much fun to go up......

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭

Ha ha! I guess not. Well done

• RFJ - you were fantastic!  Thank you - I looked forward to seeing you every lap and tried (not terribly succesfully) to get ahead of where I saw you last!  I think that hill hurt whichever way you went up it... 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    dieselgirl wrote (see)

Hey all - loved it out there today!  Only managed to meet Emmy - it was GREAT!  Thank you for all your support - it was great to hear you calling my name as we saw each other!  I was in a slight world of pain out there at times today but I redeemed my London performance - I'll be back next year! Hope you had a great day out there Emmy and all others - and hope to see you again. 

Emmy - you're a superstar!  That's all! 

Petra - I saw a picture of you on facebook. Did you win a prize? It was really lovely to meet you and see you around the course (even if you did lap me a dozen timesimage)

Gary Fatbloke wrote (see)

My first marathon today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially running with Emmy and Mel from Fetch for a few laps. How the hell am I so sunburnt though? I know the sun shone for a while but my wife and kids just keep pointing and laughing at me cos I'm so red!

Hi Gary! It was such a pleasure to run with you,too! You should be really proud of yourself - it's not the flattest course but we all did it! 

RFJ wrote (see)

Well done all, I was the nutter going the wrong way round, calling out names and encouraging you all, and you all did so wellimageimageimage

Darling! We have to stop meeting like thisimage You were absolutely fantastic and I couldnt understand to begin with why you were going round the wrong way but we looked forward to every single lap of seeing you!

As you can imagine - I had a bloody fantastic day out! Was so nice to meet some of you - Dieselgirl, Gary, Kathy, Amanda, TZ Runs. The run was a great one and I felt great throughout (suprisingly so, if you look at some of my pictures!). I went for a massage at the end and afterwards I was walking like I had never run a marathon. Absolutely cracking.

Am already close to entering next year - I cannot wait!

A BIG Thank you to TZRuns for coming on here, answering all of our questions and supporting us on the day. The day ran like clockwork and I cannot criticise this race at all. The only suggestion I would have is to make it a little flatterimage

• how far did you end up running in the end RFJ? As you did more than the 26.2 right? Also do you run much in the South West, as i thought i recognised you from somewhere?? Cheers for your effort!

• Sorry to have been a little absent here in the past week or so. I could offer some excuse of having a race to direct, but none of you would believe meimage LOL

I'm going to have a read through what I have missed and answer any questions later today... so feel free to ask away. If you have any complaints then please email me at info@kentroadrunner.com and I will listen.

Everybody should now have received the first of their official race photos by email. The FINAL results are published on the event website and there are lots more photos on Facebook.

Next up we'll be emailing out runners' lap splits and of course we have more photos and the judging of the amazing Showboating photos image

MASSIVE thanks for all the lovely RW race ratings too. I have seen many, and as soon as Race HQ calms down a little I am going to print them all off and read every word of every one. I can't thank you enough for the time and effort you have all expended on supporting our race. Thank you.

• Woohoo! I did it, my first marathon and what an amazing medal to mark the occasion!!! I am overjoyed with my result, what a perfect day image.

Thank you all for being a part of my marathon journey, this forum has been so supportive and encouraging for a first timer. It was a pleasure to meet LTS and Emmy, I hope everyone else's day went well (minus the sunburn!)

I didn't find the laps at all as daunting as I had feared, in fact quite the opposite, there was something really reassuring about the familiarity and having everything on hand should you need it. It was wonderful to see my family at every lap after 11 and to run the last 10 metres with my 5 year old twins - I doubt there are many other marathons you can have this luxury. Having a chit chat and catching up with other runners was a bonus too, I think my Daniel Craig vest was a hit (well definately a conversation starter!) 

Massive thanks to TZ runs, RFJ and the lady marshall with the jingle bells on the hill for making it such a memorable day!

Maybe see you next year!

• Hi All,

Firstly, a massive well done to everyone involved in organising Saturday. I've already said it, but it's my 16th (8th different) and I've never known any race pay as much attention to detail to runners, obscene medal!, free photo's - personal numbers - and my own personal 'M', all info you'd need, and as an 'honorary Welshman',  I loved the flag gesture.  

I'd have to say, the run up to the finish took its toll and is the one reason I haven't already registered for next year. I've never enjoyed headwind so much!!! It was tough reaching the last 2 miles knowing you still had 2 climbs to go!

But very well done on showing how races aren't just about what organisers can get out of their entrants, but what you can give for them. Well done Mr Berry and team.

Although can you please bear in mind the consequences when a runner has 2 children who both insist on taking their father's 'worlds biggest' medal in to Show & Tell at school on the same day!!!! It's caused non-stop arguments!!!  

• Hi all - just got the train back to Swansea & got that horrid meeting out the way, so now I can relax!! image

Massive well done to everyone for Saturday.image  I hope you all had a good race and enjoyed the event. Shame I didn't manage to meet many of you there, but I was fortunate to meet Kathy (thank you for the lift & well done for your first ever marathon) and RFJ, thank you for your tireless encouragement around the course - it really helped. Must admit I did wonder who that nutter was running the wrong way!!

I enjoyed the lapped course & being able to encourage other people on the course (& receive it back too!). Thank you to the lovely lady on the hill who relentlessly encouraged every runner on every lap - I was struggling after lap 10!

My race went as well as it could do - managed to run 10 full laps then ran/walked the last 7. The hill was a lot harder than I expected & on the downhill recovery the headwind seemed to pick up after about 11am.

All in all an excellent race & I'll definitely return to try & improve my time one day - maybe not next year, depends on family plans & an unfortunate clash with my Mum's 60th birthday!

Cable - glad we saw each other quite a few times on the course. It definitely helped. you're quite right about the attention to details - it knocks spots off many other marathon - I'm sure you know the one i'm referring to!! image

Well done all. Hope your legs are recovering. Looking forward to seeing all the photos from the race.

• Hi All,

I survived it (just).... running a marathon with no long run training isn't to be recommended, lol !! All went really well until 10miles, then I got a severe calf cramp and it set like concrete. After it released I set off, but could not run with any pace or back came the pain image

I thought about pulling out after 8 laps, but I don't like being defeated, so I slowed right down. There were a few more bad spells with cramp before the end though, including the last lap when in sight of the finish line I was brought to a complete stop again (I think I may have roared my disgust and a few choice words - so sorry if anyone heard my outburst, haha) .... a special thanks to RFJ for asking if I was ok  on a few occasions as my legs packed up image

That hill was a bit of a killer, in any case!! but TZ put on a great race, I almost collapsed when the huge chunk of bling was placed round my neck at the end!!

I have a feeling of not achieving what I wanted, so it gives me great pleasure to announce I'm already in for next year image ..... and I would appreciate it if Ian and the tz team could take a steam roller and flatten out some of those hills (or provide a detour arround them in the latter laps!!!)

• Hello all !!

I've changed my screen name so hopefully it will cause less confusion!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to read all of your glowing posts about the race.

I had an AMAZING day. It was always my plan to run/walk or (rualk as I like to call it!) but I really amazed myself at how much I ran!! The reason I was able to do this was listening to the happy chatter, seeing your lovely smiling faces every lap.

I'll admit I was a little nervous as I've only ever competed in short length canoe slalom races before and everyone is very quite once in "race mode"!

I was really thrilled when Ian (Mr tzruns) asked me to help with the organisation and I felt so proud every time I saw you guys smiling!!

I hope you're all loving the photographs - how amazing are they!!! Stuart and Tim were so lovely cheering everyone on, they seemed to enjoy it as much as we did!!

It really was great to meet you all -

Emmy I can't wait to get our Can Can pic printed!!

RFJ - you were a superstar! See you at a parkrun soon!!

Cable - I'm taking my medal in to show and tell on Thursday - not sure if i'll let my class touch it yet though!!

Everyone else - sorry I've not mentioned you by name but this is becoming a MAMMOTH post - you are all FAB though!!!!

Please feel free to ask any more questions and i'll do my best to answer them!

Hope to see you all next year - don't forget to use your discount codes if you haven't already!!

HUGS!!

Amanda xx

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I only did the Mara in the end, as ran out of voice and hand power.... (then promtly fell over the timing mat...as only I could do...) it was a tad more due to the wide line to allow the rcaing line for you guys, but not by much and as you know garmins are always 100% accurate.......(not)image

I must say that I loved it too going te wrong way round... and the raport that I built with so many of you was fanstastic and just made it great, there were several little games going on....... which was alos good in relation to passing places on the track.

Thanks tzruns for a great opportunity to support others whilst still running too....image

• Just wanted to add my tuppence worth.  I was the lucky Southern Running Guide winner, so I am now a proud owner of an exclusive polo shirt as well as the biggest medal ever!

I agree with pretty much what everybody else has already said.  The whole event ticked all the boxes and I have already entered for next year and am actively encouraging my fellow running club mates to do so as well.

Well done Ian, TZruns and all the volunteers!

P.S.  My blog on the event can be found here http://jogginghippo.blogspot.co.uk/

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

JoggingHippo, thanks for the comments in your blog. Loved it out there

• Hi all, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it has been great hearing everyone's experiences on the day & of course the support and encouragement we could exchange leading up to the race.

JHippo - will visit your blog this evening - thanks for the link. Look forward to reading it. image

So, 4 days on how are people's feet/legs? My legs were ok by monday but found an easy plod last night quite tiring.

All the best for your running and racing throughout the summer image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Life's too short - definitely agree with you. This thread has been an absolute pleasure and a reason i love running in the UK.

Please keep around on other threads and I really do hope to see a lot of you at races image

I've come down with a cough so taking it easy this week.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Based on this thread and some stuff I read on FB I have entered next years race - It will be my first marathon in 16 years and I wanted to take a year to prepare for it mentally and physically - It is the first marathon I am intending to do with no time pressures just wanting to get round and enjoying it. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Grendel- I'll see you there! Am already booked in for next year!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Until next year then Emmy!!!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to it!

TZ - will you be starting a thread up closer to the time?