Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

PMJ - well I would look at those current times in a positive way.  They're not far short of the mark and there's 5 months to go.  I ran a 5k 40 seconds slower than my pb on the same course in January and knocked 5 minutes off my marathon 3 months later.  

A good tip for some of your long runs: the course at Newcastle is 5 laps and each lap is virtually flat with one uphill (on grass) and down the other side.  It's good if you can find something to mimic that.  I did some MP miles around a 3 mile loop with one hill in.  On the TM course  I found that any pace I lost on the uphill was gained on the down so not much to worry about.  I notice they've changed the course slightly and seem to be avoiding a stretch that is more like a cross country course than marathon, especially when flooded! 

• PMJ, regarding the sample size of one. There comes a point when every runner stands on that start line and asks themselves "what do I want to do today?"
    I have had rivals from here who would always go off conservatively, and consistently deliver their anticipated time, race after race. Consistent, with a low standard deviation. I also know (very well) someone else who would put their spheroids on the line each time and shoot for the stars. There were some spectacular disasters, but once or twice I hit the top target, and they haven't done so yet. My SD is a joke though, but nobody is interested in that.

Have you got the bottle to stand on that start line and risk blowing up?
    Are you the sort of runner that will always race marathon at 85% MHR, or dare you push it to 86%?
    Of course, I am talking balls. The question is how big?

• Minni, current plans have ruled out TM so my next one will be VLM 2014. The truth is that I have just got back into form and my summer is really hectic (I am in Italy for a week, Russia a week, USA two weeks and then two weeks family holiday as well so that is 6 weeks out of the next 3 months) so it is not really feasible to start a campaign now. That means there is 10 months to go.

I have to be realistic, 2;45 is more of a dream than a reality, but if I can get the speed-work done now and get into the autumn with a stack of sub 6 races under my belt and then get a solid winter in without the distraction of XC then there is a chance to be taken.

• blisters, I hope I have the balls: I hope that you guys are enough of a boost to carry me to the end. I have a 2:50, I know I could get a 2:49.xx and hence a 2:4x:xx but if the choice is a definite 2:4x or a chancy sub 2:45 then I am shooting at the latter. The worst case is I fail so badly I miss 3:15 and GFA renewal but if I go through 20 in under 2:10 then that is over an hour for the last 10k and that has to be a given.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gutted you won't be there PMJ.  image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Philip - fwiw, I go with the Blisters approach -
    "don't be greedy" is all very well, but sometimes the nads have to be on display.
    (and as you hope, and we suspect to be true, you have the nads)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

PMJ it's yours for taking, you have the ability for this, if Ant had nads like yours he would need an extra couple of feet of bath water. *

* (hoping this doesn't turn into photographic evidence)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

He would need a lot more bubbles.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

With 2:50 under your belt PMJ I'd say you've got little to lose.The chances of you running a 3:15 are remote. And if you are 50 by then the GFA isnow 3:20, even more remote. 

The hill race went ok 20:26 for 3 miles but all off road and some serious inclines. Dropped 1 minute 10 secs since I last ran the course 19 years ago. I can live with that. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - that's a fairly decent rep session, which is a good sign if you can still churn them out when you're feeling below par.
    KR - good session - sounds like funimage
    PMJ - 6:58 is pretty close, especially at this stage!
    JD3 - 14mins is a huge chunk to target - you're making a lot of progress.
    OO - good performance on what sounds like a tough course.
    10 miles this morning run blind - discovered afterwards I had run it progressively from 7:57 to 6:56, although it felt like a fairly even effort.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO - was that Penshaw?

Gul - fast running at this time of the morning! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes it was Minni. Race starts upthe side of the hill in undergrowth- must have been 40% angle- unbelivable. I had a cr*p start and got boxed in. Spent most of the race cutting through the field. Really enjoyed it though- just needed a lung buster before Blaydon. Met the legend that is Brian Rushworth who still managed 2nd plce as a V45. Sunderland Harriers also had the 1st lady- a youngster who beat me by 20 secs.- I just needed another hill to catch her image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO I saw a vid of it on FB.  Looked all uphill to me! I'll post it on my wall for you. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

This start is worth seeing

http://t.co/BMZUydLgke

• Good running OO - will have to have a look at that clip.

PMJ - keep your pecker up! As others have said, you should have it in you physically -  it sounds more like a confidence thing to me.

Ant - I had an equally disappointing reps session this morning. 4 x 1000 with 200m recoveries, but they were all in the 3:5x zone and none felt really comfortable. Hoping to string 5 together on Saturday as preparation for the first 10K of the summer the following weekend.

Gul - that's an impressive progressive run, especially at that time of the morning. You're looking in good shape at the moment.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

OO - just saw the start of that race, along with some real heavy breathing. Did it really take 19 years for you to forget the pain of some of those hills! Good running OO.

Good progressive run there Gul. Do you have any specific races you are targetting?

Spent most of yesterday asleep. Temperature back down today and jogged a couple of steps with the dogs. Just feel like I have a normal cold now which I can live with. May try a run tomorrow. 

• Impressive early morning progressive run Gul. I set my alarm for 6.59 this morning, (although I didn't get out of bed till 7.12). Strange to think you had done your 10 miler and posted about it before I was awake!

Tasty 7 miler last night a bit quicker than I thought I'd be in 44.50. I had to cross a few busy roads using the pedestrian lights which was frustrating having to stop, but guess it helped having a little bit of a break.

• Speedwork: 6x800m on the track, 2:50, 2:48, 249, 2:49, 2:49, 2:47

Very hot in the bright sunshine at lunchtime.

• Gul - Blind running? Careful with them there lamp posts! good work!

OO - Yes, that's hilly, all right. Well done on doing sub-7 miles on a course like that. Was that you with the blonde pigtails?

Lorenzo - Never mind, the important thing is that you got out there and put yourself through a hard session. Come on, I'll buy you a pint and we can have a good old sulk.

Speedy stuff from KR and PMJ.

Poacher/Lit -

Me, doing my reps yesterday:

/members/images/83537/Gallery/buster-2.jpg

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm the old codger limping up to the finish at 5 mins:25 in the video Ant. And you sir have ample cojonnes...image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Dearie, dearie me.

OO that race looks mad as can be, with some seriously quick people at the pointy end. Is the temple thing the one you see from the A1 on the right as you head north?

Nice runs Gul & KR.

Lorenzo those reps will have done you good anyway.

10m this morning @ 7.10mm  before it got hot. Then a big curry as late breakfast.  image  Might do a double

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed it is Poacher- the Penshaw Monument

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ok I need some expert advice. 

Since the diagnoses of a dodgy pelvis by the physio I had my foot taped to imitate insoles and did a couple of runs, one of 3 miles (!) and everything was starting to feel a lot better.  I then had a very painful session with him and have had an achy back since.  The tape was also removed then and I have an appointment to see about getting insoles.   I did an off road run of about 2 miles the following day then tried a road run of 3 miles the next day (last Saturday).  The calf pain came back so I've not run since.

Today I have done a 2 mile walk and tried a couple of stretches of jogging, about 200m each, off road.  But once I got back I became aware of the calf again.  Its hard to describe.  Its not a torn muscle pain, more of a tender dragging ache and its on the outer side at the top.  I feel it when I put pressure on the ball of my foot but then it feels much deeper.  I am aware of it as a sort of hard mass but when I physically feel the calf it feels very soft and not tight at all.  Foam rolling the spot is very painful!

It could be that when I get the insoles this really helps but I think its odd to go from not needing them to not being able to run without them overnight. 

I'm back to see the physio next week but I'm starting to wonder if it could be linked to a stress fracture (although I don't think so because its not that painful) or bursitis, although again I don't think so. 

Any ideas?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

No ideas Minni, but it sounds like you need to get to the bottom of it ASAP.  When you say "insoles" are you talking orthotics or what? Very frustrating when you are in the form of your life.

• apparently, literatin's Dad is Mr Cojones

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Sorry Minni.  Nothing I have come across before.

Not commenting on the size of Ant's wheelbarrow!!

Good 10 milers Gul & Lorenzo.

KR - Impressive 7 mile time.  I take it your races are Prestwold, Watermead, Huncote & JF10?  I should see you at most if not all of those. Why doesn't the Hungarton 7 feature on that list image

PMJ - Reading back through your posts yesterday and your stats gloom.  When you started in June 2011 I am right to say that you were not coming back from a period of injury?  You are coming back into form very strongly at present so nothing to worry about at present.  You have plenty of time to improve the 5mins over the marathon without smashing your shorter distance PBs.  I ran VLM 10 mins slower this year but have lowered PBs in both of my races since.  You never know but I may have the same aim next year if I can get through this one injury-free image.

5.5 miles for me this morning with 7x random hill sprints varying from 200 to 800m and varying inclines.  All paced between 5.25-5.32m/m except for the last long one on the steepest hill which was at 5.44 pace.  Trying to focus on at least one session a week of good quality hill speedwork to strengthen my legs.

• Martin, if you have the same aim I'd be happy to have you alongside. I'm also hopign that also-ran will have the same aim and not something a lot faster.

The sunshine is gradually lifting the gloom, how can you not enjoy life when it is so hot you need to take recoveries under the shade of an oak tree with some geese and goslings (and all the shit they bring along with them as well).

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Minni. So essentially you're feeling pain in the upper part of the lateral head of gastrocnemius? Is that right?? As I vaguely suggested it migh be one if those frustrating scenarios where time and not running are the ONLY solutions. Not convinced you suddenly need orthotics or weird taping etc etc  Very very irritating for you. I think many injuries simply need time and in desperation to remedy  them you run the risk of testing any response too soon and setting yourself back. Is it a case of psychologically getting your head round a month or so off and doing everything but running to keep your sanity?? Hate to be a bit of a pessimist and please feel free to ignore me! Sounds like a gastroc partial tear to me that it needs to heal properly???

Great hills Martin. Swift stuff

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

PMJ - not promising anything but ever since my first marathon I've wanted a crack at 2.45. Was not possible this year due to work commitments but I know that I still have some more in me if fit.

• Minni - oh no! Doesn't sound great at all. I'm not an expert, but do you only feel the pain when you're running or also during other forms of exercise? If it's just while running, it sounds to me that you could / should take the opportunity to get out on the bike / go swimming etc.

OO - great vid. I'm anyone had the strength to still be running at the top of that first incline.

Looking forward to a run alongside the canal in Chester tomorrow morning