TransPennine Challenge 50km/100km - 22/23 June 2013

Not sure who else has entered or is thinking of entering this race next June?

Its not that ultra really at 50km I suppose, but still a massive challenge for me ........ I am sure there will be plenty taking on the 100km, but thats a step too far for me. image

Comments

• I am contemplating this one too, have only done a marathon before but thinking of going for the 100km image. Looks well organised but would be interested to see other peoples views and it looks like it is part of a series of 50/100km run/walks.

• Just entered the 100k. The longest so far I have gone for is marathon distance so just looking for the right training program now. Any suggestions anyone?
  • Am tempted by the 100k, longest distance I've done is marathon. And I like the idea of it being sign posted. 

• Anyone save me googling and got a link?
  • Ah. From the website ' by signing up to the challenge you are committing to fundraiser a minimum sponsorship'

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne, 'I'm oot'
  • you only have to raise £275 !!!!! - anyone can do that !!!!

• Why would I want to?
  • Yes that would rule me out too, the sponsorship is harder than the run

• It would be interesting to see what kind of training schedules for this are about. Having only gone up to marathon distance, does the mileage ramp up a lot more in terms of a single run? Or is it just more back to back long runs?

If I sign up it will be before then end of the month probably as its discounted by £20 until Dec 31st.

Clairebear - it does look well organised with all the "snack" stops which is appealing to me. I guess its the nagging doubts at the back of my mind thinking would I be able to complete 100km and if I couldnt, at least you are only ever 4 miles away from a stop.

• mentioned this on another thread. agree with Lirish.

looks a great event but i'd be unlikely to manage to raise the money and if I did, i'd want to donate it to a charity of my own choosing.

good luck to all those who take part though. great route.

• I ended up signing up to this, looking forward to it but kinda scared - 100km is a loooong way!!

If you sign up there are a list of different charities, or I think you can even nominate one of your own (I think) so you arent stuck to 1 chosen charity.

• I completed the London to Brighton 100km challenge last May with the same company. I would definitely recommend it. I hadn't even done a marathon before but still completed this one! It's all in your head!

• Sounds good, I'm sure it would be fun, but like many people I can't be bothered with the Charity stuff anymore, why can't they just offer a place with a higher fee for someone who just wants to run

• I've just signed up to this too.  Opted for just the 50km, but I think that will be plenty enough to test my mettle!

Looking forward to it.

• Good to hear James D! I think it very much is mentally challening. What would you say is the toughest part of doing such a long event? Im assuming between 35-50 miles will be the toughest, just because its the stage where you have gone past a marathon by quite a way and then by the time you have got to 50 you can then start to count down the miles.

There are tents on route every 12.5k, so I think I am going to break it down into 8 sections and just focus on finishing the next 12.5k. Mentally I am just trying to tell myself its 8 lots of 7.5 miles with the first half hopefully ok, then the last 4 will be where the hard work starts.

• From doing the London 2 Brighton challenge, i found the stretch from 40km to the checkpoint at 54km (didn't eat enough in the morning). After re-fuelling at the half way point we ran straight to the next check point at 78km without stopping. I would say the last 10-15km are the most difficult as everything starts to seize up! 

p.s me and my brother have just signed up for this one!

• Hiya, was hoping someone would have started a forum on this, so here I am ! My Company are going to enter me for this ( cheers ! ) as they are sponsoring 8 employees to trek the GWC, but is over VLM weekend, so I couldn't do it...so they volunteered me for this, the 100k no less !

Anyone know the actual route ? Live very close to Disbury and go walking around Glossop/Edale quite often, but would like to run some of the sections over the next weeks, I've done 3 marathons but never anything this long, not sure how to approach a 20 week training schedule, any advice welcome ! image

• the dude abides wrote (see)

mentioned this on another thread. agree with Lirish.

looks a great event but i'd be unlikely to manage to raise the money and if I did, i'd want to donate it to a charity of my own choosing.

good luck to all those who take part though. great route.

In case of any interest to anyone, non-fundraising places are now available for this.  £119 for the 100km and £79km for the 50km.

• Does anyone know if this is being 'run' again in 2015?

I'm not sure my body can take it (neck problems) but I do fNcy it even if it's just the 50k.