Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Keir - have a word with Jock Itch. Think he might be looking to get shut of his place.

• Keir, entries are now closed. The race limit has been reached I believe.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thanks LS21 and JF. Other years people were wanting to get rid of their numbers at a rate of about once per week once summer training started, so I am in no rush. I'll weigh things up after VLM before I decide whether I want to go for another full on marathon campaign.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Keir - I didn't even decide to run last year's race until August. Got a number straight away and I could honestly have got at least another dozen or so. So if you want to run you'll have no probs at all getting a place. Just keep an eye out on here and on Fetch nearer the time

• Keir I know of 3 numbers which may come available in the summer depending on their owners cycling season. Whats happening about VLM?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I'm running VLM but have had one injury / setback after another over the past 2 months so the plan of sub2.50 is out the window. At the moment I'm not sure whether I want to go through another marathon campaign or whether to run lots of longer off road races with less of a focus on peaking and performance and instead enjoy maintaining a high but not peak level of fitness. 

• As the race entries co-ordinator, I'm also running a waiting list so you always get your name added by using the email contact on the website's contact page

• Is everybody training at the moment for a spring marathon? I watched Paris marathon on tv and loads of people are talking about VLM, I feel like I'm missing outimage

Question to all runners I will be following the 18week P&D schedule which will commence on Sunday 16th June but I want to start the training now! Would it be ok to do the first 6 weeks now and then repeat?
  • gazelle- there's no harm in building up your long slow runs so that when you start your 16 week program you should find the LSR easy.  On the other hand, you don't want to get injured...I guess it depends what your base fitness is like at the moment.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Old Shadowfox I sent an email a couple of weeks back enquiring about a waiting list but didn't hear anything back. I have sent another email today just in case.

• Gazelle personally I think 18 weeks is long enough for marathon training, however you should be looking to do a build phase before you start, have a look on the net see what plans you can find. I followed p&d last year for abo, worked really well for me but it felt like a long time. Hill sprints, build up your long runs to 16/18 miles nice easy runs steady runs, there's plenty of things you can get along with. They're called macro cycles but I can't for the life of me remember which one is before marathon training. I think it is a build phase tho.
  • Gazelle youcould if youy felt it necassary but leave out the speed work. Best thing to do early is to slowly build an aerobic base ie slow miles in the 70% HR zone.

• Having just done Paris, I'm already itching to get training for this! Never done Abingdon before so am very much looking forward to it!
  • Hi folks

Dont know if this is the correct thread for this but  i cant find a more relevant one.

I  have a place for the Berlin Marathon at the end of September, but due  to  work  commitments and a young baby I cannot make the trip. I  am looking to      either buy  or swap this place  for one in Abingdon, there are plenty of flights left and hotels for Berlin  so if you fancy it let me know please.

Mathew

• Does anyone know if any and what fuel is going to be available during the marathon?

• Jamie- if you look on the race website under info and FAQ number 23 it gives the various water and lucozade stations

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this, had entered the Brighton marathon in April but had so many problems I had to pull out, hoping to get a qualifying time for the  VLM next year, got the bupa 10000 next Monday which is always great.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I'm also looking foward to my second go at this one. Ran this in 2011 after messing up VLM. This race had a much more relaxed feel to it and I managed to get nicely under my 2:50 target. Training for me starts end of June with P&D 18wk.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

It's my first marathon but I'm looking to go sub 3:00, not sure I'll get 2:50 though, very impressive Mr Boat, are you following a particular training schedule?

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Nonstick: Yes, P&D 18wk up to 85mi. Get yourself a copy; loads of important marathon running info in here with excellent schedules.

Can't seem to post links at the moment but just look on Amazon for 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pfitzinger and Douglas

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Thanks Mr Boat, the wife is going to get it for me as a fathers day presant, will give it a good read when it arrives.

• Nonstick there is a P&D training thread on here if you're intrested.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Thanks postie postie, I'll take a look

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Just wondered how everyone's training is going.  I am still hoping to do this race although it will be tight for me.  I am still injured but getting better.  I was knocked off my bike by a dog at the end of Feb, whilst training for London. I was in really good shape then, but am obviously not now!  I was told by the sports doc/physio that I should be back to normal by mid July.

I've started cycling again and have been swimming throughout the injury.

• My training was going well until 8km into a 10km run yesterday. I stopped to wait for some cars to pass and as I set off someone shot me in my left calf, or that's what it felt like. Currently I can barely walk and I'm worried that I may have partially ruptured my Achilles rather than just torn the muscle. Time will tell, but I'm supposed to be trekking over the Pyrenees in July so I hope the time is short!

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Thanks Keir, this is really good. Not far off doing 15 miles relatively easily at the moment as the article states, think an 18 week schedule would start in about 2 weeks?

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

PipG, that sucks, bad enough getting an injury without k9 intervention, hope the recovery goes well

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

BadgerBoy, hope it's not the Achilles, have you seen a physio? I tore a calf muscle in January and it took 10 weeks to recover has been fine since

• Cheers non-stick. I've had it checked out and my Achilles is OK, it's just a muscle tear. 10 days after doing it I can nearly walk normally and I'm confident that it'll be up to some serious mountain walking in July. I'm not sure I'll risk running before then - I can't stand the thought of doing it again and missing out.

PipG - how's your rehab going?