Daily discussion: Trail running

I'm a massive fan of getting out of the city and onto the trails at the weekend and running watch-less up and down hills amongst trees. It's when I am happiest. 

Do you enjoy the trail and if so tell us about your favourite trail runs and races. We're always on the lookout for new running destinations.  

Comments

• I love to run all over Martin Downs (sp6 3lp) so quiet and peaceful and lots of hills for good trainingPeleus you never know what you will see, I have had dee. Run along past me, barn owls fly past me, snakes basking in the sun. I am truly lucky tot have this on my door step! 

• The South Downs is on my doorstep and its a privilege to explore. The 100 mile South Downs Relay was last weekend and a fabulous trail run!

• Lunchtime run yesterday up Porter Brook in Sheffield was stunning. Accessible, shaded from the midday sun, and given enough time, you can get out to the peak district.

• I live in Northwich now.

only just started running but trails is the place for me. Lots of decent trails (IMO) just outside the town centre plus Marbury country park and canals.

so peaceful first thing in the morning when the rabbits are still out before the dog walkers and cyclists scare them off.

Herons, Buzzards, Swans and all sorts of bird life abounds.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've got the Clarendon Way and the Monarchs Way very near me. I'll have to check out Martin Downs as it can't be that far from me.
  • I live on the edge of the New Forest, so all possble runs are on the trails there - at the moment, I usually run there with my 4 month old in the buggy for 6 - 8 miles - she's as happy out there as I am (possibly happier on the hills!!).  Also did the RW Trailblazer in the Forest of Dean a couple of years back, and that was beautiful!  Any plans for a trailblazer in the New Forest?  image

• Bewl Water and Bedgebury Forest are my current training grounds, with SDW joining in shortly, and also some bridleways from work back across country to home soon.

When you have such beautiful coutryside around, why run on roads!

Same routes over winter at night are well worth the effort too, the same coutryside takes on a very different personality after dark image

Recently there have been so many newborn geese & ducks, loads of rabbits squirrels, deer, heron.

• CheesyRider - Born to be Mild wrote (see)

Bedgebury Forest are my current training grounds

Will you be doing the Bedgebury trailblazer tomorrow? It's my first 10k and I'm really nervous but looking forward to running there. I used to work and ride my horses through the forest everyday and love it there. Especially this time of year!

• I used to while away the miles through the countryside in rural Lincolnshie, which wilst a little flat and (dare I say) boring, was at least very peaceful. Have done some running in North Wales too which was much more interesting and very pretty image

• GingerG wrote (see)
    CheesyRider - Born to be Mild wrote (see)

Bedgebury Forest are my current training grounds

Will you be doing the Bedgebury trailblazer tomorrow? It's my first 10k and I'm really nervous but looking forward to running there. I used to work and ride my horses through the forest everyday and love it there. Especially this time of year!

Was going to up until about a month ago, but have had to change my plans image so now cant. Missed the cranbrook Tri last week for same reason imageimage

Have a good race Ginger and enjoy yourself! the forest is looking awesome at the moment! 

Are you local then?

• Sorry to hear you can't be there tomorrow! It's such a shame seeing as you're so close, but I find life gets in the way of all the fun stuff far too often! image

I'm in Ashford, but I used to work at a couple of equestrian centres around Bedgebury, so spent as much time as I possibly could in the forest. I love that area of Kent!

• Lots of good trails in The New Forest, Hampshire.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

South Downs is on my doorstep. Do at least one hilly run over the Downs during the week.

Have a great wood over the road where I run all the time. Lots of ins and outs, have run 15 miles through those woods. 

I like to get on my bike and cycle out somewhere then run.

Favourite trail race is Milland Valley.

• I live on the Cotswold Way so there are some brilliant footpaths and bridlepaths beginning directly outside my house. The scenery is fantastic and there's lots of variation between hills, fields, forests, national park. I feel very lucky!

• We live in the middle of the Peak National Park and, despite the name, there are lots of lovely flat trails.  My other passion is wildflowers so there is always something new about to flower to get me out of the door to find it  -  saw some orchids the other day!

The White Peak half marathon, run in May (and marathon but I don't do that) is absolutely beautiful and I love getting to the start on the bus with all of the visiting runners talking about how pretty it is and thinking 'I live here' image

• Another fan of the South Downs here. I have the Seven Sisters next to me along with Friston Forest and I love it image Being taken to the Peak District next month for some Fell Running fun.

This is why I run on trails 

Herbi

• One of my favourite races would be the Oslo forest marathon coming up this Saturday. It is really easy to get to by public transport from the airport and there seem to be quite a few Brits going this year.

• Does anyone live south of Bristol? I live in the Chew Valley, which is beautiful, but there are loads of fields (some with cows) rather than open spaces.  I'd love to run over the Mendips but worry about getting lost miles from the car!

• CliveSCliveS ✭✭✭

I am lucky to live in Scotland - love nothing more that slipping my Inov8 255's on, UltrAspire vest and hit some local trails - local and further away. Really spoilt for choice.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Teresa Lovern wrote (see)

Does anyone live south of Bristol? I live in the Chew Valley, which is beautiful, but there are loads of fields (some with cows) rather than open spaces.  I'd love to run over the Mendips but worry about getting lost miles from the car!

It's called a map and compass, failing that you could invest in gps navigation then you'll know exactly where you are. it's not a big problem getting lost and it'll improve your endurance no end.

• thanks for the advice - I've got a garmin watch but haven't got to grips with the navigation on it - do you know if that would be OK ? 

• Just love the trails. Mostly race cross country and trails these days. A nice rural road course tempts me at times but no more city centre races. Why? Variety, lovely scenary, views, great atmosphere to these type of races as well.

Training as well, south Downs the Weald, the coast, superb. Try the top of the South Downs as it goes into twighlight. All thoses twingly lights towards the coast.

Thanks Mrs. Hog-Mousey for the vote on "The Milland". Try our new event at South Harting. Not as "traily as the Milland" but more lovely views.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Maybe it's being a country born lad, but lived in towns for most of my adult life. Started running in the last 10% of my life with a city half.

But give me off road any day. live on the edge of a town with country 5 mins north & south. Another runner with dogs, the animals you can see before anyone else has been there to scare them into hiding, the views. I just love hills & mud. Joined a club and got into XC over the last few winters. The closest I get to a road race these days is Snowdon Mara. But only 'cause of the location and it does have a little bit of off road.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • South Downs? Pah. Purbeck hills in Dorset. Over the Sandbanks ferry, along the beach, up past Old Harry Rocks, Ballard Down, views towards Bmth/Poole one way and Swanage the other side. Back down to the ferry past the Agglesone rock. Perfect, and a stock hard Sunday run for years for the local athletics clubs.

Only joking about the Sth Downs..been there too. Very nice image

Trail is just cross country to me though. Old skool image

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Sheffield is great for this - from city centre to peak district is only a matter of a couple of miles and there are many parks and green spaces that you can link together for some great very accessible trail running. We organise the Sheffield Tententen 10k race which tries to embody this.... having fun on your door step by using a blend of the trails terrain and scenery. www.sheffield10k.com - its on the 13th of October this year - in its 4th year and normally has around 1000 competing.... we've found that trail running has minimised our injuries too over the last few years.... and its a lot more fun! image

• just about big enough hills on the South Downs Mr. Coombes but like um bigger elsewhere! Down your way for The Beast in September. Looking forward to the scenary and those steps on the coast. I'm a fan of The Stickler as well.

Just so much good trails in this country!

• AHH! Everywhere I go is hills. I'm sure it is good for me!

• Last year, what with all the rain, off-road wasn't much fun; mud!!  I'm lucky enough to live in the Wye Valley and often run one side of the Wye, up the Wye Valley Walk, then at some point cross the Wye, and run back home following the Offa's Dyke Walk.

So far I've built upto doing a 20 mile round trip; just about all of it is off-road; but I plan to try to get as far as Monmouth which would work out as about 35 miles.

It's a pity my dog is old; that'd kill him.