RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Oh, thanks Ricky!  I must look into it...not that I'm a sheep or anything... but I do HATE missing out...

Your run still sounds good pace.  What is your race on Saturday?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

That's a lot of miles Carl, and more importantly a lot of time spent running.  If you're going to do that, build it up slowly and at the first back off at the first sign of a niggle.  These forums are littered with tales of people sticking rigidly to a high mileage plan through thick and thin and ending up crocked.

Sometimes the people putting these plans together forget that 70 miles would mean an average of 90 minutes a day running at MP for a 4 hour marathoner: that's a lot to fit in and sometimes means you end up sacrificing the quality runs just so you can keep up the quantity.

That said, if you can do it with a sensible plan and stay healthy you'll certainly get quicker.

Well I did only say that I was tempted with the 55 - 70 mile plan.image But the following debate has been fascinating. Why am I tempted ? I like the intensity of some of the sessions compared to the 55 mile plan. The plan has more 20 mile runs and I think that is an important factor in preparing for a good race. If this was winter I am not sure I could contemplate a really high mileage but as it is summer it might be on.

But the negatives are the almost daily commitment to training and that is likley to turn into a bind very quickly which takes the fun out of running. Higher mileage runs the risk of injury.

So I had been thinking that as it is a 55 - 70 mile training plan then maybe I could follow the plan but adjust the mileage by dropping the recovery run and making it more of a 60 mile + plan.

I do not have to make a call on the training plan just yet and am going to follow Carter's initial journey to see how easy it is to get going. Our training plans were very similar through the first few months of the year and our training performance was not that dissimilar.

Like Carter I need to read a bit more of the book to understand the different types of runs as they are different and will take a little getting used to. Once I know a bit more I can make teh call.

Ricky - enjoy the golf. Really jealous.

Carter - great run from you today. First day of marathon training .... must be a great feeling .....

Oirish - go for it I say. You can worry about next weeks training after Sunday.

Andrew - hang in there and get better.

AliBali - if you scan the various threads on here you will see P&D comes up many times. It does seem to be the holy grail of running marathons but I am guessing that once you have run loads of marathons (like Spoons) you know what works for you and what does not. P&D is just part of the journey ....

Big G - good to see you back on here.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - the P&D 55 miler only has 3 x 20 mile runs so I have tweaked my plan so there is now 6. This gives a bit of flexibility if, for some reason, I can't make one of them. On many of these forums the ideal plan seems to contain 5 LSR's and that's what Spoons suggested in my original plan so I thought that would be the best way to go. I've not even looked at the 70 mile plan so will gave a look at some point to see what the difference is. 

• Right that's my decision made, Sunday we are going for it.

The target is to go sub 1:35 or as near as damn it. My last half was a 1:38 and considering the course was a bit hilly and I got stuck in a pack of plodders at the beginning holding me up I think it's more than attainable. My training hasn't been as perfect as I would of liked lately and the old alcohol levels went up a notch or two but I think I am at a lot better all around level of fitness than when I last ran a half.

It is along the seafront at Southend so if the race falls apart I'll just cut my losses,buy some candyfloss and a "Kiss me quick" hat and try my luck with the lovely local orange ladies making their way home from the previous nights fun and games.

Now there is a race strategy you won't be finding in your P&D books.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ok, due to my fairly successful running recently I've decided I should enter a couple of races so have updated the list. These will both be training runs rather than races due to the fact they are both fell races and contain those pesky hills.

June 8th - Larne Half – Ricky

June 9th - Wargrave 10k - Andrew

June 9th - Southend HM - Oirish

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd - Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Carl, Bruno

June 30th - Thame 10k – Andrew

June 30th - Mersea Island around the Island race 12.2 mile XC - Oirish

July 6th – Para’s 10M Colchester - Oirish

July 7th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

July 14th – Dartford HM - Oirish

July 17th - Bamford Fell Race (5 miles) - Carter

July 21st - Olympic Park Anniversary 5M - Carl

July 21st - Dundee HM - AliBali

August 4th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

August 4th - Helensburgh HM - AliBali

August 10th - Long Tour of Bradwell (16 miles) - Carter

August 24th - Thames Meander Marathon - Oirish

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 8th - Langham 10K - Oirish

September 8th - Salford 10k - Rachel

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

September 29th - Loch Ness marathon - AliBali

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM – Carl

October 13th – Oxford HM - Andrew

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish - I wont be kissing you quickly or slowly !

• Oirish - sounds like a good target

Carter - those early P&D LT runs are tough (I remember struggling with them) but they get easier.

• Good luck on this weekend guys. (Oirish, add some mistletoe to that hat and you will be fighting them off with your candyfloss stick!)

Im not doing my 10k now, due to being unwell ive not been able to build up my miles after being told to cut right back while I work on my achillies, so after a chat with the physio we have decided that it would be best not to run it.  If I knew that I was capable of trotting round in a steady 50mins and relaxing i may do it. But I dont think im capable of reigning myself in for a short distance race so better to leave it.

on the plus side though, im feeling a little more human today so either this eve or tomorrow, im gonna head out for very gentle 3-4 miles and hope the achillies feels good after

wise decision andrew.

Better for you in the long run.  You'd only be disappointed to go and do the 10k and feel miserable/be unhappy with your time.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Andrew - as Ali says, a wise decision. Get yourself fit so you aren't out injured for too long. 

Spoons, a question for you. P&D have a recovery run the day after a rest day and the day before a long run. For my Manchester training plan I had a recovery run the day after a long run. Does it make any difference which way round to do these runs ?

How is everyone else getting in with their P&D plans ?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all - some good running, and it's good to see the P&D plans taking off!

You may remember a couple of weeks ago I was going on about calories and trying to lose a few more pounds.  Well, I've started using MyFitnessPal and that's been a bit of an eyeopener.  I know it should have been obvious, but although I considered myself reasonably healthy and ate relatively well, MFP has highlighted some basic mistakes I was making on a couple of "regular" meals a week.  Using that, I've fairly easily got back down below the 13st mark again (I'm 6ft3, so 13st isn't quite as bad as it may seem!) and I'm going to see if I can get to 12st7-12st10 and see how I feel.

I have unfortunately lost some pace recently, but I've got my mojo back now and I'm feeling fit so I'm looking forward to getting on with things.

This is my first planned "5 session a week" week as well, which I'm pleased about.  So far I've done 1) 8 miles, with 5 at quicker than half mara pace, 2) 5 slow, 3) 6 miles with the club, which included a tough speed session.  I've got 16 slow planned for Friday and then I'm going to get myself along to a parkrun for the first time the day afterwards.  I probably won't do well at the parkrun due to the previous day's 16-miler but if I can get in some kind of routine like that I think it'll help.  This isn't massive mileage by P&D standards but adds up to about 39 which is the highest week I've done since the marathon at the start of May.

Next up is Torbay Half for me.  My Sister-in-law has set a challenge for me to try and beat her, but I think I'm going to lose image  I'll give it a good go though image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all.

I went out for a trot late this afternoon in the lovely sunshine. I managed 9.9 miles @ 9:58, about half off those miles were off road and a couple of shortish, but steep, climbs. A little bit of walking on one climb but can certainly feel the fitness improving. The knee hurt just a little during the last mile which is a bit of an uphill drag but overall pretty good

• That's a good result this evening Carter - hopefully last weeks incident with the knees was just a wobble on what seems an end in sight on your road to recovery !

Gee thanks Andrew - I now feel like a porker at half a stone heavier than you & 3 inches shorter! imageimage

Last run this evening before Sunny Larne HM on Saturday Morning - it is ironic that this is the race that was postponed at the end of March because of snowdrifts, high winds & sub zero temps. We have had 20+ deg C all week and more of the same is forecast right through the weekend also image

Ran/Walked 2.5 miles with Mrs RickyW followed by 3 mile run on my own. After Tuesdays hard run at target HM pace I ran the first two miles @ target pace again (7.30) and have to say felt more comfortable with HR down 5bpm on tues @ same pace. Final mile cool down @ 8.30 pace.

So after resigning myself over last few days that sub 1:40 was out of the question and after feeling better this evening I am thinking maybe I could get close after all - might give it a go and go out at goal pace after all. Decisions decisions!!

See how you feel on the day Ricky.  A lot of the time your body tells you yay or nay.

Big_G I have been hugely surprised sometimes at what 'obvious' mistakes I make with food and drink...especially those homecooked meals that you think can't be nearly as calorific/fatty as a takeaway or treat...but definitely are.  But most of the time I choose blissful ignorance and ignore until my trousers won't do up any more! 

• carterusm wrote (see)

Spoons, a question for you. P&D have a recovery run the day after a rest day and the day before a long run. For my Manchester training plan I had a recovery run the day after a long run. Does it make any difference which way round to do these runs ?

Carter - not much difference no. The most important thing is how you fit everything in. Just try and avoid back to back speedwork. Get an easy pace run in between the 2.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Cheers Spoons. How did your race go last night ?

• Not too bad thanks. It was a much tougher, hilly course than I expected. I managed 7:25 pace. I beat my GF this time which is the main thing image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Happy days. Do you see a day where she will be able to beat you ??

• Hi all, 

How is everyone enjoying running in this weather? Personally I quite like it, I feel nice and loose and there has been a gentle breeze about the place that has kept me cool when I have been out running.

I did some shopping in Sweatshop yesterday stocking up on socks, shorts and vests and got a little carried away image on the plus side I'll at least look the part on Sunday no matter what kind of performance I put in. 

After a decent tempo run yesterday I did a nice gentle 5 miler today with a couple of miles at my target pace for Sunday in the middle and that is me done until the race. It is feet up tomorrow in the garden with a good book after Directing the Parkrun and taking in the Lions match in the morning.

Good luck everyone with your weekend runs and look forward to readind Ricky's race report tomorrow evening.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Yes, best of luck tomorrow Ricky. And Andrew and Oirish on Sunday too

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well, I've been for 2 bike rides today. The first was this afternoon when the sun was beating down hard. I went up into the peaks for 10 miles of hilliness. It certainly shows that I haven't ridden a bike for about 3 years and in typical Carter fashion I went he'll for leather right from the start. Needless to say I was blowing out my arse quite quickly and soon after that the legs were screaming at me to stop. This evenings ride was with Mrs C at a rather more sedate pace. She is really getting into it now and we are off on the High Peak trail tomorrow for a few miles. After I've done my 12 mile MLR that is. Also, this is day 5 of no booze or takeaways and I'm feeling considerably better for it. Will be having a couple of magners tomorrow though......

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Hi all. Not been on here much this week as I had another manic week at work. Planning an early night tonight to get some much needed sleep.

Have really missed not being able to get out running as I use it as a de-stresser.

Planning on a 6 - 10 miler tomorrow and I might do something a bit shorter but quicker on Sunday.

Best of luck to those running this weekend. Ricky and Oirish. Should be nice weather for it.

Carter - sounds like you are back into it and enjoying it which is great for you.

Spoons - good race from you.

• Carter - she beat me once - a couple of weeks ago. That motivated me to try harder....

Sunds like you're getting back into it.

Poppyline marathon tomorrow for me. 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Best of luck with that Spoons. 

Ive just been out and done a hilly 13.2 @ about 10:10. Felt very comfortable and there  was no knee issues at all. I have forgotten what it feels like when your feet and legs ache after a decent run though. Sitting in the garden and chilling for a bit now

• I love that post run leg ache!! enjoy!image

• Quick update - 1:44 dead I think .. No chip time yet. Heat was ridiculous . Went out at 7:30 pace as planned and was through 10k in 47.20 ... Mile long hill at mile 7 killed me and last 4 miles were mentally v tough. Positive split. happy enuff given longest run since limerick has been 10 miles. 

Had a dip in the sea afterwards which was great!

Off out swimming with kids - full report later!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - good effort considering a long hill and the heat. It's one thing running at 7:30 pace on the flat but a different game all together doing it up a hill. Still, a good effort and platform for your next attempt. I am going to have a magners to celebrate image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Rachel - the aching has subsided due to an afternoon on the sunbed with a couple of beers !!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - Considering how warm it was that is a fab result. Great running. Looks like you are in great shape.

Carter - thought you were cutting back on the magners now that you are a proper athlete again and no longer on the injured list.