Open Water Swimming

Comments

• Open water is so much better than the pool, plus you have to swim back to the shore so an incentive to keep going image I hate the swans that go gliding past looking at you as if you are mad though!

Off to the Quays tomorrow morning.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Nice evening swim in the Ouse with a group that Supercaz introduced me to. Swans left me alone this time too

• I find the gulls and terns disconcerting. It's like they are aquatic vultures waiting for you to stop so they can pick you off. With me, that is fairly likely.

Mind you, today I tried to sight my direction based upon a Coot.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I wanted to do an 8 hours OW swim yesterday but couldn't find anyon wanting to hang around for that long, so I went to tootling lido instead.  Its still cold water so better than an indoor pool, but I got rather sunburnt and today it hurts to sit down.

I didn't see the post about your swim Blisters, until today.  Its a little far away from me, but maybe we can go in one Friday afternoon/early evening or a Sunday when I am travelling apst for other reasons

• Well Caz, you've got my number now.

• I went down to Shepperton yesterday, first time this year.  It was warmer in the lake than it was standing around outside. 

It's getting more popular, when I started going a couple of years ago there'd be maybe half a dozen in the lake, by the time I left yesterday at 9 there were lots of folk about.  Plenty of room in the lake though.

• Off to Thorpe again tonight, seems to be becoming a regular thing.  Just me and one colleague tonight so no waiting around for anyone who's late image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Back in the Nene tonight.  That is also getting to be a routine thing

• Blimey Caz. You swim in the Ouse, Nene and that other one (Welland?) midweek, but nip over to Wales for the weekend? Is there a hot date there?

2k for me: in a chlorine infested pool that makes my nose run. I may not be a classy swimmer, but I have paid a block fee 12 for the price of 10 and there's always an incentive to keep pushing on. I may be slow, but it doen't mean I'm not competitive. Open water seems just so much more relaxed, and tastes better too.

• a few of us went in the river at usk last friday blisters.how far away from you is that........

I am back in the Taff on Thursady morning......I have let my pol membership run out so had better keep the OW swimmingimage

• Blisters wrote (see)

Open water seems just so much more relaxed, and tastes better too.

You have got to be kidding on both counts! There's no pool politics I grant you. Tonight the wind was causing all sorts of drifting problems which made some of it like being in a race as there were people everywhere and largely not going in a straight line. Frankly the smell puts me off let alone drinking any of the stuff not that I try drinking the pool either.

On the plus side the wind was blowing enough to make it a drift to the exit.

I envy you seren having a river close enough to go mid week.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Blisters, its not long now until my big event so I am swimming wherever I can.  In the last month I have swum in the Nene, Ouse, Tooting Lido, the sea at Bournemouth and a lake in Birmingham.

This weekend I am in Dover, then coming up I have more swims in the Nene and Ouse, Bournemouth or Portsmouth and various places in Ireland.

I have hot dates everywhere as I am a floozy when it comes to water

• Caz .good luck with Dover.the forecast sin't good down there at the moment..delaying the channel crossings

• Caz - been following your swimming all over the place non wetsuited! and reading your advice. Where's your big event and what are you doing. I just know I'm going to be in awe of your answerimage

• Shes going for her 25 metre badge......image

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

Bags packed for Bosworth tonight - aiming fro 4 laps if I can

Ditto, I'm aiming for 3 laps tonight. See you there Pixie image

• GravityGuy wrote (see)
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

image , any increase on 5. See you at 6;30

• Tired Badger wrote (see)
    GravityGuy wrote (see)
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

image , any increase on 5. See you at 6;30

Show off image

• The river felt a lot colder this morningimage

• I feel for you EP and know the feeling. So glad I am only doing a half. I am not going tonight either as only just back from work and didnt get lunch today (getting better at that though). I have an observation to plan tinight also. image

• image poor pixie! Hope you have a relaxing evening... a bath counts as a swim right! I have had my fair share of parents too this week... one was even waiting for me when I arrived at school early (luckily it was a positive start). I dont envy your compulsory evenings... when you have had a bad day it is nice to take off at 3.30 and run or swim it all out before working again later. 

Its nearly the weekend... sending you happy school day vibes for tomorrow. And good luck for your exam.... jeez you cram a lot into your time!

• 6 laps tonight in just under 1:30 i make that around 5.4k 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

Shes going for her 25 metre badge......image

Seren is nearly right, except its a 25 mile badge.  I'm swimming the Channel at the end of July and Seren might be on the boat with me as my support crew.

But this weekend I am doing a 5 mile, a 3 mile and a 1 mile race in Dover harbour.

I swam in the Nene again tonight, but another stretch that I've not done before.  The group I was with were fast to start with and I struggled to keep up, but by the end I was in front.  We did 4k almost exactly.

• Caz, you are a machine. Good luck in Dover, I gather the wind might be a bit testy. I'm doing a half ironman at Cotswold 113. The weather looks iffy at present. I think I'll put my transition kit in a waterproof bag. At least you aren't expecting to be dry for the day. I shall think of you.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Forecast says it will be mostly dry but very windy in Dover.  This is the third time I've done this event and each time it has been very windy, which means strong current and choppy water.  Last year it was bad enough that the course distance was cut from 1 mile to half a mile so I had to do 10 laps for the first event!

But I would like the clothes I put on between events to stay dry.