Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Orbutt - unfortunately it's going to be something I live with from now on. I find stretching after running an hour, paying particular attention to the gastrocnemius/calf and hamstring groups.

I stretch way more than I used to - getting old! Also found icing with a diet coke tin just out of the fridge helpful, as well as a skipping rope hooked under the metatarsals ('knuckles' in the feet) and pulled back to relieve the pressure the plantar fascia. 

Give her my best wishes; I hope it clears up soon. 

Ps. Physio doesn't help. Ultrasound doesn't help. It's just expensive.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Iain - what about a steriod injection into the PF area? I've heard that being bounded around as a recovery method. I've 'luckily' only had PF once and it's something I'd never like again.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Iain - get one of these: www.simplyessentialuk.co.uk search for foot roller massager.

• I had my feet strapped for PF, and it helped loads.

• Thanks guys. I ran with feet taped last year for GNR. Expensive, given the physio had to do it!

Emmy - I do not recommend injections for PF. I've looked at the evidence and frankly I think it can do more harm than good. 

RS - I'll look into that...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Iain - I had PF for good on a year or more (still get a few twinges but has mostly cleared).  Did calf stretches, icing etc but until I started rolling it on a little knobbly wooden thing I happened to have around the house, I was managing it rather than recovering.  Seems the knobbles break up the faciitus (damage bit) whatever and rolling it eases out and stretches the plantar (if that's possible).  In my completely non-medical view of what possibly could have been happening that lead to it working!!  This might also be a good way to go: http://www.drfoot.co.uk/acatalog/Heel_Pain_Massager_Roll.html  It's the combo of knobbles and rolling that did it.

• Think the physio was taking the p**** Iain, my podiatrist learnt me to do it myself on second visit! 

Definately work on calves thou, helps loads. I find after a 'heavy' day now that calves get really tight and very consious of sorting it before anything major goes wrong.image

• RS - thanks for that, looks very useful, my PF has been building since the start of my P&D plan.

Best wishes all, Iain

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Well... Week 1 of Berlin training has gone well.  Just 13.77M run over three runs.  All at a very easy pace.  Oh dear.  Really struggling just now and no running this weekend as I'm off to Newcastle on a stag doo.  I guess from this point onwards, things can only get better!  Hope you guys are doing better than I am.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Monk - I'm drunk right now. Enjoy it, there's no way in fudge you'll have the energy for it next month.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Monk. You've taken the first steps on the Berlin trail. it is better to struggle at the start than the end.

enjoy Newcastle image

• The Monk - hope you have survived Newcastle weekend, was it a big one?!

I've had the complete opposite Newcastle weekend as I've the Blaydon Race today, been trying to get a place for years. 

Good luck everyone else with Sunday running.

16 weeks to go!!

• 16 weeks to go! 

Just back from Tenerife where I only managed 6 runs. Going to have to hit it hard this week!

Took over Hal Higdon's Marathon book. Not as good as Pfitzinger & Douglas,but was interested at looking at his plans as another runner at my gym has used one of his plans.

Good luck to all those running today

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Just done potters 'arf which for those who do not know it is in stoke and even though its on roads is constant hills, anyway a 1:29 which is only 2 mins from a flat PB so my form must be good although nursing a VERY sore hamstring after getting up heartbreak hill at 11 miles. Think might have to have an easy week. Heat was crazy through, hope anyone else racing got through ok.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Andy - brilliant time mate. I can't I even dream of running that fast.

Look after your hammy - don't want that slowing you down

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

cheers Orbutt, feels a lot better this morning although DOMS has set in all over which is usual. Going for a massage on thursday to give them the once over but should be ok. Still feeling really dehydrated though, been drinking plenty of water but just sooo thirsty. Still it might have a silver lining - everyone asks how i got so suntanned and when i said running they said maybe they had better start image. Just waiting for the photos to see if i looked as bad as i felt. 

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Hi guys, well stag doo was a complete success.  RS and Iain, oh yes I enjoyed it and spent far too much money, yep, it was a big'un!  How I was up for 23 hours straight and got through about ten Jagerbombs I'll never know!

Orbutt, you're right, that's the way to look at it, start slow and build up.  I've re-evaluated my training plan and feel more positive about getting easy miles in so I get a base before I really push on.

Good running Andy, hopefully one day I'm gonna have a proper crack at a sub-90 min half.

• Hi guys! I haven't posted here for a while but I was wondering how your training for Berlin was going? I'm about to start my 16 week plan tomorrow but a bit worried as I don't think legs have recovered fully from my spring marathons.

Monk - Hats off to you for your staying power! Was that 23 hours of drinking?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dotty - What makes you think that? Perhaps a bit of cross training to 'loosen' your legs up for a week to get ready for running and starting your plan.

I'm not the best person to comment about recovery... I ran a marathon on saturdayimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)

I'm not the best person to comment about recovery... I ran a marathon on saturdayimage

Hmmm... Couldn't you make that statement pretty much every week?

Dotty - if anything your legs will have just forgotten a bit. You can soon remind them image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

That is true... Just like finishing a relationship - the best way to get over one, is to get on another.... same goes for marathonsimage

• Gosh Emmy, how many marathons have you done so far this year? After VLM I had a bit of hip pain and tight calves. Managed to recover to run Edinburgh marathon, took a week off running but last week having only run twice my aches and pains have come back. I think you are right though some cross training and core strengthing required.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Dotty - let's just say Emmy likes to get on another.image

Did my first Tempo/Lactate threashold/go out and try to keep pace for whole run, run and OOMPH after 6.5ish kms!  Fudge knows how I'm going to keep that pace (and maybe a bit quicker) going for 42 kms!!!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - were you running at your projected MP?

Remember, this is just the start of training. You are a finely honed running machine with a sub 4 under your belt.

Every day and in every way, you will get better and better.

Never, in the field of human conflict.....oh, hang on, wrong speech. 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Orbutt-you rock! Even if it's the wrong speech.  ;) it was at sub 4 pace. Still can't believe I did that! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Orbutt-you rock! Even if it's the wrong speech.  ;) it was at sub 4 pace. Still can't believe I did that! 

RS - If you've got one sub 4 in you... you have another image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

We'll see how training progresses... did have a runners chuckle to myself this morning. Had to sprint for the bus. Approx 150m flat out and was barely puffing. I think the driver was surprised i didn't collapse on to the bus as most would. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Its nice to be able to run for the bus without being out of breath but I also find myself thinking 'oh damn, normal shoes, hope I don't pull a muscle'.

The joys of being a runner.

• Hello all.  Apologies for the lack of correspondence - I have been without the internet (damn you stupid idiotic BT) and back up finally....for now!

Anyhow when I get five mins I'll catch up on the forum and read what people have been talking about but thought i'd say hello - hope everyone's Berlin training is going well !!!