2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace fantastic run this morningimage

OH hope you got the run in.  There might not be any trees on Orkney but there's plenty round hereimage

Stuart great set of 1k reps, well doneimage

---

Did the press-ups - 16/21/15/15/21 = 88 with 2 mins recoveries.  image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys & well done on everyone's training.

• Mace nice run earlier

Tek good run and press ups

Fiona hope you did enjoy the creaky little runimage

SM6 well done on the tough 6.8

Well the did 5 miles at 8.11 av including 7 x 0.4m intervals, that certainly made me blow a bit to say the least.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik nice easy run and great going with those press-ups!

mace so true about the petrol pump analogy. Great run there, very rapid!

OH I'll give you a wave! image

Stuart fantastic 1ks. I must do a speed session soon. image

A very busy day and did not get out again. You can tell it's Rockness weekend, driving home was wondering how many teenagers and industrial quantities of Buckfast can you fit into a Vauxhall Nova! image

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Good running guys- and lifting of own body weight, tekimage

Only just got back from a very hotimage 5k- the heat was added to by the fact that the run was along a totally unshaded coastline without, for once, a breath of wind.... Not as fast as I would have liked, but in hindsight I was only 18 secs slower than my best- which was when I was race sharp and ready for Chester marathon last year, so not too bad either for this stage- especially with the miles....I finished 5th in 18.13 (my time)image The race did mean that today's mileage was limited to around 10 for the day. Anyway, bed now, ready for the morning runimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Some great training going on, well done everyone, bit of a couple of busy days for me and spent most of this morning in the corners court. As for running well I'm still limping, not as much as yesterday and it is feeling a lot betThink the half marathon on Saturday is now a non starter but that's nothing to do with the ankle and I hope to run later in the day on Saturday. Will see how it feels tomorrow afternoon and if ok will do a short run.

• sounds like a good 5k in hard conditions Jason, well done!

my foot hurt again today, but didn't hurt more when I ran. Home to club, then coach decided to give us a long XC to do, so it became 13.1 miles in 2:04! pity I forgot to restat my garmin after the club so lost 3.8 miles!

37 for the week, and now 4 days off!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Fiona, at least you got a recovery run in the morning,

Tek, hope you're feeling looser after the 8 easier miles yesterday, well done with the press ups too

Mace, another good run,

OH, I thought it was always breezy in Orkney

SM6, a great interval session there, the speed is coming back

MG, well done with the intervals, they tend to hurt don't they

Jason, well done running a 5k race in the heat and to be within 18 secs is good result

NP, sending some healing fibes, hope its feels good enough to run on

IJ, well done on the XC, I have done that many a time too, and have considered running it again just to get the stats image

-------------------------------------

Another lovely day up north, the OH and son are a crispy red colour after walking the dog around the canal yesterday afternoon, fortunately the sun was not as hot in the evening.

8 miles in total for me last night 5.88 with JS also around the canal, with a effort run up the hill beside the locks. went out for a further two miles after.  I'm going to do some hill repeats tonight before body balance, 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM thanks

MG well done on the 5m with intervals

Fiona LoL at your Rockness imageimage

Jason great 5k race - 18 secs off PB pace is great so early in the campaignimage

NP good luck with the ankle, sounds promising

IJ well done on the long cross-country, and congrats on the week's total

Stewart another good run - you're banging in those milesimage

---

With all of you doing intervals, I decided sheep-like to amend the plan.  Instead of the recovery run I tried out Hadd's "200/200 fartlek" - basically 200m at 5k pace, 200m at 140% of that pace, repeat for 10k.  Sensibly I stopped after about 3 miles, but was happy that my heart rate recovered fully on each slow 200m, so that the whole run stayed safely in the aerobic zone.image

Then 90 minutes in a room with some hot women.image

• Tek - Nice intervals, and good work on the push ups. Tempted to try some myself. But I know I'll be crap at them now!

Stewart - Nice running last night. Enjoy the hill repeats later.

IJ - Sounds like a good run last night

Jason - That's an impressive time on it's own, even more impressive in the heat. Good goingimage

Fiona - Haha, is sitting in a muddy campsite with a vat of Bucky not your idea of a good weekend?

MG - Nice interval run yesterday!

NP - Hope the ankle is better. I noticed you were swimming earlier, won't that put a bit of stress on a dodgy ankle?

------

3.12 miles @ 10:21m/m ave. 141 ave HR

Legs felt very heavy from yesterday, unsurprisingly. Hard weekend ahead for me. 6-7ish including parkrun at tempo pace tomorrow. Camping in Blair Atholl tomorrow night then a 25km hill walk on Sunday and a 12-13 mile run on Monday.

I'm going to need a rest when I come back from my holiday!image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

• Stewartc well dome on last nights run, hope the hills went well

Tek, nice intervals , did the room full of hot women help the painimage

SM6 that's a full on weekend ahead hope it goes wellimage

14 steady miles at 8.42 av tonight, a little warm and windy, total 35 m for the week , Big day at the cricket tomorrow so will be pay for that on Sunday morningimage

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, A good but hard session, and something to look forward to after always helps

SM6, good luck with the parkrun + extra, a packed weekend you've got lined up

HM, hope all is well

MG, Are you watching England tomorrow, I'll be watching it on the box with a few beers, can't think of a better way to recover from my long run

-------------------------------

The warm up was not long enough, but time was a factor, 6 reps up stratherrick, I find it a hard session to do on your own, 

Stats the hill was a little over 200 metres long. 

wu 0.83m(10:51)

reps 1:07(8:16), 1:11(9:29), 1:09(9:10), 1:12(9:33), 1:11(9:41), 1:11(9:35)

cd 1:77(9:46)

Long run tomorow 16 with 8@MP

• Stewart yes going to the game, Egbaston is only 2 m awayimage 

• Stewart - Looks a good tough session, well doneimage Enjoy the cricket later

MG - Enjoy your day at the cricket too.

-----------

4.5 ish inc/ 23.30 parkrun. HR - too high. 

Much slower than I hoped but legs felt shot. Also, I'm surprised I was capable of running this morning. I vaguely remember Scotland winning last nightimageimage things got a bit hazy after that...

I also now own a parkrun '50' tshirtimage

Enjoy the good weather this weekend folks!image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart good recovery yesterday, and well done on this morning's run...or, in fact, well done for getting upimage

HM thanks

MG yes they didimage.  Nice 14m yesterday...

Stewart good hill session yesterday.

---

Bit of a funny run this morning with the club.  We went off too fast but the HR stayed low until we hit a one mile hill.  I decided to ignore the beeping alarm and get up it as fast as possible, but from then on the HR stats were gruesome.  6.5m at an average 74%, average 8:12 mm image

• Hello Everyone.

I apologise I have not been around much, as have been away for just over a week. South Wales. We were very lucky with the weather. Very Enjoyable.  Hope to be posting moreregularly over the coming days/weeks....although I am away again mid-week for my 40th image

I did skim read the thread whilst away, however TBH wanted a weeks break from running to recharge the batteries. I now have 16 weeks to berlin and need to get the miles in again and lose the ballast earnt by the a week of full indulgance. Needless to say todays first run back after 10 days was not the easiest. Hey/ho - it will get betterimage

I hope you are all well and enjoying your weekend running image

Stuart - well done on the 50 parkruns - top stuff !

tek - Not beng a slave to the stats/watch is good for the mindsometimes !!

Stewart - Nice intervals mate - that gets speed in the legs

MG - hope your enjoying the cricket !!!

Fiona - those monks in buckfast sure have a lot to answer forimage

...Waves to everyone else imageimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Jason sounds like you are in a very good place to start your Chester campaign.

NP if the ankle is still sore I hope the swimming and bike are going well and that today went ok.

IJ I'm sure the ankle will be great after 4 days rest. Fingers crossed.

Stewart nice hill reps, not at all easy on your own well done! I hope todays long run went well, that's a tough one.

Teknik that sounds an interesting 200/200 run and a good way to pass the time.

Stuart it looks like you'll be getting the best weather for your break - nice!

MG1 nice 14m and I hope the head's not too sore tomorrow!!

AGF nice to get a break and you'll be back to it in no time.

Skye half for me today. Arrived just in time to enter then had 20 minutes to change and get to the start line. Very creaky from 2.5 hours in the car! Anyway as planned did not take the garmin and felt very free just running to feel especially at mile markers when folks were anxiously looking at their wrists (normally me!!)  
    The first 4 miles or so was pretty much a gradual uphill. Felt a stitch coming on when there was a little downhill but adjusted my breathing and it disappeared. Took water at each station and stopped to drink it as in cups. It was very warm, even a bit too warm for me but nice enough for just a run. Started at the back and through the race just gradually overtook folks but nice to chat to some on the way. From mile 7 it was uphill to mile 11 then a nice downhill stretch back to Portree. Ended up 1:36:22 (agreed by all that pretty much 5 minutes on top of any other half due to hills and possibly an extra minute on top of that for the heat), 1st FV45 and our running group got a prize (I think 3rd?) for the combined times of our 1st 3 ladies that crossed the line. A great day out, fantastic organisation and hospitality! image

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- excellent! Can't beat first place! image

Good running by everybody else too! Cuple of runs today- off for the hills of Brecon tomorrow for Stage 16 of Welsh Castles Relay. 8.8m uphill between 11 and 12, supposed to be boiling! Then running back to the start....imageimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

I'm fine thanks. 

Fiona,

Well done that's a great result.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.  Did a more local parkrun this morning and forgot how much I dislike one section of the local country park as the parkrun route takes you up one of the worst hills in it (with the exception of Butser Hill).  So think I'll be sticking to the Havant parkun.

• Super running Fiona and a well judged race. Sounds like you enjoyed it !!!

good luck with tomorrow's relay race Jason image

HY4, well done on parkrun. Hills are good thoimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Thanks image

Good luck Jason, sounds like it could be a tough one if hot!!

HY4 well done on your parkrun.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fantastic racing Fiona and in the heaagain other 1st place and from running easyimageimageimage

Jason good luck for the race today mate.

HM4 well done on the park run, we expect lots of PB on that course from you nowimage

Well the ankle is still not right so I haven't even tried to run on it and have only done some core work, I'm about to attempt a run this morning which will be all at an easy pace and see how it goes.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Which one?  Yesterday's or Havant?

Fiona & AGF,

Thanks.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

HM4 well if you keep doing the one with the hill both of the park run times will come down.

Managed an easy 6 miles very aware of the ankle but no pain during or afterimage will still give it a couple of sessions with the ice pack today. So now going to lay out in the sun and top up the tan todayimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great news on the ankle NP!! image Enjoy the sun; still overcast here but 7m easy done and will get out on the bike later. Legs not feeling yesterday's run.

Good luck Jason!

F

• Nice One NP. Good news. Not long now until you turn into a professional runnerimage

Ran a 10k Today in Warwick. We do it each year. I started slower as still had yesterdays longish run in the legs. Just jogged around really. An enjoyable morning as the Wife got a course PB image

Enjoy todays runs Folks image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF welcome back from your hols.  Well done to Mrs AGFimage

Fiona great running at Skye!  Well done on the FV45 first and congrats to your club mates tooimage. Nice easy 7m this morning.

Jason nice running. Hope the Relay (and back!) went well.

HM well done on the hilly parkrun

NP great news on the ankleimage.  Enjoy the sunimage

---

Out on the razzle last night, so really struggled this morning.  13m slow, just avoided throwing up.  image

The week is over!  57.2m in 8h24 (8.49mm) @ 71% maxHR  image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Good point. 

Tek,

Thanks.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.  Did 5 miles this morning on a reasonably hilly route - ave pace 11:31.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona shows how fit you are if your legs are ok today image

AGF well done to the OH on her PB.

Teknikm well done on not throwing to.

Suntan top up going well image