MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks - I really appreciate the responses and haply they are positive ones (I.e. I can do it) as opposed to just warning me off.

Based on experience I understand the need to build up slowly. I picked up a bit of ITB as just went straight into training for this. The strap and the roller helped and seem like I'm sorted now but will continue wearing the strap on at least for the race next week.

I'll see how I get on but I guess running on sand has slightly different challenges than trail or road so will check out 20 milers. I normally run trails with hills but have to admit wouldn't want a first 20 to be over too many hills.

• Ed68 wrote (see)

... seem like I'm sorted now but will continue wearing the strap-on at least for the race next week.

*sniggers childishly* ... sounds  like an interesting sort of race imageimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

mark - ice cold bath? really slow, short recovery run? RICE? PASTA? (heh heh ...geddit?).

• Bruce - yep, never fails to make me smile saying I just can't do it without my strap on. The wife isn't as amused as I am tbhimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mark- join the club! Got a leg of the Welsh Castles Relay tomorrow to round off a 90m+ weekimage

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Thanks 15west - I'll mention it to my sister. 

• Potters Arf tomorrow Ellesmere Port 10k next week as I start the build up to Chester, could be a real test with the heat…first big race since Manchester Mara looking forward to it . The Kids stuff at Chester sounds good that should give the Mrs a bit of relief with the kids while she hangs about. Good luck Ed..take it steady with the miles increase

• Nice to know someone's doing sportintheport 10k image 

Last count was 532 runners but everyone is being pretty quiet about it .

• The Mrs is from EP so its an easy pass out to go there with her and the kids and it looks an eyes out flat blast which will do me good if i survive the heat and hills tomoz. My bro-in law is local and he said it looked like a poor turn out so far, hope it fills up a bit

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

I ran my leg of Welsh Castles Relay at midday today (24 degrees according to my carimage) from Brecon to Storey Arms (8.63m with 529m total ascent) in 57.33, which is about 3.30 faster than last yearimage. Then ran back (8.62m with the same DESCENTimage in 1.02.57) to get the long run in for todayimage

• MATT GIVEN wrote (see)

The Mrs is from EP so its an easy pass out to go there with her and the kids and it looks an eyes out flat blast which will do me good if i survive the heat and hills tomoz. My bro-in law is local and he said it looked like a poor turn out so far, hope it fills up a bit

Wouldn't call 500+ was a poor turn out , but organisers have claimed it would be 1500 . Thought it might be a good run for some , race in morning and then tour of Cheshire Oaks in afternoon . Not for me , straight to pub I hope .

• As you say it looked like being a really big event, and with the chip timing and road closures etc it deserves a better turn out as i'm sure it will be really well done if its linked to the Chester mara/half people. i hope there is a late increase in numbers as in makes the chances of a repeat event more likely.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

I did Marsden 10 mile challange today in Yorkshire in 1h25   

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Compo- nice oneimage

recovery run this morning and a steady 8m this evening for me. Legs feeling ok consideringimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all...8mi yesterday and 13mi today for me. It's drizzling here in manchester...haven't had any rain for quite a while.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Really need to pull my finger out and enterimage. Training going ok ish, 17 on Sunday about a minute/mile off target pace although the last two or so were hard work, 10k at a minute/mile quicker than MP last night, day off for swimming lesson today. Garmin packed up on my long run though. Be looking to get at least one confidence boosting 20+ in before holidays in late July.

Looking back at last year when admittedly I was coming back after an operation, I'm 30 secs/mile faster on the long runs and running them non stop, whereas 12 months ago it was any excuse to stop for a drink, gel, cross roads, toilet. Here's hoping the race is good.

• Encouraging stuff there Graemek. I'm planning on entering pretty late so don't feel under pressure with the training.
  • Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

8.25 miles for me this evening in drizzle and wind, 4 at LT pace which felt tough, but hey aren't they supposed to?

Rest day tomorrow and then nice 10 miler planned for Thursday. Plan is going good at the moment.

Graeme looking good with your training, and yes get your finger out and enter the race image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

As Andy says entering puts the pressure on image I'll do it tomorrow.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

5.1m for me this morning and 12.12 in 1.30 this evening. Think Sunday's hills caught up with me tonight- legs a bit stiff and heavy- lol! 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Would anyone considering entering  like to help me out? I am going to have to do Leicester on 13th Oct instead, as I will need to take my daughter to Uni on 6th October. I'd obviosuly like to get my money back but the only way is by transfer ...

"In common with the vast majority of races we do not offer refunds or deferrals. However, you can transfer your entry to another runner.  To do this, at no extra cost, please email Linda who will contact you with details of how to transfer your place."

I entered early (January, so £39.50 affiliated). It's now £42 to enter ... so why not dave £2.50 !! image.

• Did my first run of the week today, a very tired aching 5 miles. My legs have been knackered after racing on Sunday. 

I managed to run the 2nd fastest run leg of the triathlon on Sunday, 5.25 miles in just over 30 mins. It's a shame my swimming and cycling isn't the same standard!

i think I'm gonna start building up the weekly mileage now to get ready for the marathon, I haven't ran more than about 25 miles a week since London, hope I haven't lost too much endurance.image

• Dr Dan - I am sooo tempted by your offer.  I'm not a great runner and recently did London in a very slow time, followed by the silver element of the Trailtrekker challenge a couple of weeks ago, my husband is threatening divorce, but I really need another challenge, so if no-one takes you up on the offer, I may do!

I think I'm going through a mid life crisis....

• Dr. Dan

I've  now committed to my running colleagues that I will have a go at the Chester Marathon, not sure how we do it from here to arrange a transfer of your place to me.

OMG the training needs to start again now... my toenails (well I haven't got any) haven't recovered from all the stuff I have done so far....

Tracy

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good for you tlwoods...and welcome to the midlife crisis thread.

11mi for me today. Weather colder and damper...but better for running?

• hi Tracy .. it was only going to end one way once you started looking image

18.5 miles of purgatory for me last night as last long-ish run before GHM, so now its just a quick descent in to tapir madness for the next two weeks, a slightly hilly 26.? mile jaunt, then a short rest and it will be all systems go for Chester.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tracy image ... will drop you a line!

• Hello! Nice to meet you all, can I join you?

I have entered this as my second marathon after a rather abysmal performance at Milton Keynes due to the heat and me having a chest infection!

I am not the fastest runner by any stretch of the imagination but I clock 20 milers quite regularly. I run 35-40 miles a week.

My half marathon time is 1.53 and I would like a time around 4-4.20 hours, but just to have a good run as opposed to the struggle with my lungs and the heat I had in MK would be great!

How's everyone doing?

• And PS YES to middle life crisis, just come out of mine, I guess...image

or perhaps image

but on second thoughts choose to go for image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Trilla and welcome. Hopefully weather will be a bit cooler at Chester...last year it was pretty much perfect.