My road to Rio

Comments

• mike rushton wrote (see)

Also, I want to join an athletics club, just waiting for the money, hopefully will be joining Bolton United Harriers AC soon. 

PS. Im contemplating running the greater manchester marathon in april 2013, although I have a fair bit to go, furthest ive ever ran is 13 miles but that was training. image

A Michael Rushton ran the Greater Manchester Marathon finishing in a chip time of 4:09:12 - that may well explain the slower parkrun times. There are no other Michael Rushton's on RunBritain so my conclusion is that he changed the emphasis of his training - now what the hell was I supposed to be doing at work today!image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

What a bunch of stalkers image

One minute a sub 16 5k is the aim on the way to representing GB at Rio at 5 or 10k. And now he's throwing in a marathon?

These kids of today! Ideas come and go!

• I don't think there's much mystery about any of this.

Mike turned up, declared an enthusiatic but naive ambition and realised very soon that it wasn't doable. He still seems to be enjoying his running anyway, which is good.

I bet he really regrets that first post though image 

• literatin wrote (see)

Now who's 'got it in for' poor Mike, Bob? image

Hey, I've not got it in for him either. I just asked a couple of questions, made a couple of observations based on the facts available, and stated that there was hope for him yet. Whassup with that?

Don't go tarnishing me with yours and Stevie's negative spin on the lad. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bobby, you're harsher than Mike Harsh of Harsh View Terrace in Harshtown

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    After all of the people who have come on here with outlandish plans it seems that DF3 , to his credit, was the only one man or woman enough to come back and admit they weren't quite as good as they thought.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

MY negative spin, Bob??? I've been nothing but encouraging to all of these kids. image

Millsy, you are forgetting Alex Coward.

• You're second only to Nick Windsor in transparent insincerity, lit!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Oh I forgot about Alex Coward, what's he up to now?

Although he did get quite agressive when you questioned his logic.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Why do these threads irritate us so much I sometimes question.

I think it's due mostly to the way that as runners we tend to be humble, aware of our position in the order of things, work hard and consistently over years, and try and get as good as we can get personally.

So when people come on with not only unrealistic aims, but ridiculous time scales, and start bandying thing about like "I haven't got the time/can't be bothered" to work too hard, it rankles.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

They don't irritate me. I think they're great. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the eventual massive realisation is.

But often that happens off camera.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I think it's due mostly to the way that as runners we tend to be humble, aware of our position in the order of things, work hard and consistently over years, and try and get as good as we can get personally.

So when people come on with not only unrealistic aims, but ridiculous time scales, and start bandying thing about like "I haven't got the time/can't be bothered" to work too hard, it rankles.

I think it's fact that the people who spout this stuff are usually coming  from a position of almost complete ignorance. To turn up on a running forum, knowing little about running, and to state openly, "Hi, I'm new here and I'm going to be better than you lot," is pretty bloody rude actually.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

They don't bother me in the slightest... I think they're actually quite amusing.

• Is Mike still around 

• I remember being a teen and thinking that swimming twice a week would get me to the Olympics. I was a good swimmer and I was better than everyone else in the public swimming session so why not? Luckily I kept my thoughts to myself before I found out better. Unfortunately Mike poured his thoughts out on here and published under his own name for all to see. Ooops Mike

• I think that's the point SR - you might have major ambitions about all sorts of things in life but its' always best to keep them to yourself (or at least among people you know) at the beginning otherwise you'll look like - well - a plonker if it doesn't pan out.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

agreed on the not using your real name/a username that is obvious who you are.

Luckily my youthful nonsense is buried some whereit can't be found!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

As opposed to your current nonsense which is posted all over RW! image

• Does Stevie not know his AC from his DC?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we can't all offer your level of  expertise Dan image

• I am still here :P

Guess its time for an overdue update, I have joined an athletics club, but don't run for them yet; I will do next season(it starts around february time), I train with the senior endurance group so I am the youngest one there, there are a couple of faster runners than me in the group which is good, gives me people to chase down. I have had trouble increasing the mileage because I got injured late february due to my footwear, but i consistently run over 30mpw now, my highest being 54. 

I don't race parkruns as much as I used to anymore, infact I haven't raced since early february, this was coming off a 3 week break over Janurary hence why the times weren't even sub 19, it was 19:30 or something which is my fastest time this year. I felt like I was in sub 18 shape before christmas because my workouts indicated that, however I didn't race, can't remember why. 

The reason for my absence is because of this thread, I feel embarrassed looking back at my opening post and I hoped people would just forget about my name tbh image. I post on runnersworld.com and letsrun regularly, and have a training log on fetcheveryone.

• Just create a new persona and come back then!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Mike. You still have legendary status on here although you are now being challenged by Tom.
  • Shall we kill the fatted calf?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mike, if you meet Tom C, I think the whole forum will crumble due to 2 forces of nature coming together

• Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Just create a new persona and come back then!

It's not like it hasn't been done before image

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

I remember being a teen and thinking that swimming twice a week would get me to the Olympics. I was a good swimmer and I was better than everyone else in the public swimming session so why not? Luckily I kept my thoughts to myself before I found out better. Unfortunately Mike poured his thoughts out on here and published under his own name for all to see. Ooops Mike

OK, keep your thoughts to yourself.  I think we'd all like that, tosser.