Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Not had a chance to read back been a bit hectic this side.

Did Jersey half marathon yesterday and things didn't go as planned. My friend Liz who I was pacing collected another female runner Jane ( a 3:17 VLM 2013) who also wanted to improve her half PB, their previous bests were 1:36 and 1:37 respectively although Jane has improved a lot since last years half.

I was now tasked with pacing my two friends for something like a 1:33-1:35. As we lined up at the start I reminded them both that the 1st couples of miles would be very quick and that we would then hit a short sharp climb and settle into our race pace at about the 2.5 mile mark. First two miles in 13:53 so ahead of the target so far. My strategy was to get to 10k in around 43:30 allowing for the downhill start and flat 4 miles that followed, we would then face a tough climb at halfway which would slow even the quickest of runners down. Everything seemed to be going too well, in fact we hit 10k in 43:03 and it felt like jogging pace. Liz and Jane were doing fine and were happy with the pace so we continued along nicely. At the 6.5 mark comes the climb, it's about 90m of ascent and about 400m's long. Liz and Jane were sitting in 8 & 9th place in the womens race at this stage. We climbed up the hill and I'm not one for hills but took it easy and as I looked back I could see Liz was losing ground fast. Jane seemed strong and as we reached the summit I asked if she would like to go ahead and I would go back and see if I could get Liz back on pace. We then moved onto a trail section which is about 4 miles long with the 1st mile being a gradual climb and the last 2 or so downhill. She was going through a rough patch but I told her there was a downhill section coming up in a mile or so and we would make up for any lost time there. Jane was still in sight but now about 30 seconds ahead. Managed to get Liz to concentrate on her breathing and form and she seemed to be recovering and catching Jane again. Next mile or so passed and we were now overtaking runners once more. We reached the next downhill section and at about 8 miles we were still on target for 1:32-1:33. What happened next was very unfortunate, as we were coming down the trail path Liz took a horrible fall (her foot cippped a slight raised section of the trail and the terrain being gravelly meant that she lost a lot of skin. I stopped and carried her to the side of the trail, she was in alot of pain and I checked her over to see what the extent of her injuries were. Thought she might have broken her arm as it was numb and painful to move. She was devastated and in a lot of pain. Some nice spectator came to our assistance and kindly offered to take her to the hospital which was a 20 min drive away. Liz told me to carry on ( we were then at 9.3 miles) and get to the finish to let her partner know what had happened as he would be expecting us soon. Instictively I stopped my watch when I saw Liz had fallen so restarted and proceeded to leggit it down the trail path and was now tasked with trying to catch Jane, who was about 2.5 minutes ahead with less than four miles to go. About 30 or so runners had passed us since the stop and I maanged to reel them all in wover tehj next 3k or so. Did 3:41, 3:50 and then 4:00 for 15,16,17k. I could now see Jane and caught up with her with about two miles to go. She was slowing but was still on target for a new PB. We ran into a fresh hedwind for the last 3 miles so most of teh runners were suffering now. Ran in front and tried to act as a windbreak but Jane's pace was now dropping dramtically. She hung on in there and managed to cross the line in 1:34:5x (unofficial exact time and the results are not out yet, still !!) so a new PB by 90 seconds or so. Time on my watch was 1:32:15 and that felt really comfortable. P

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds painful Ant- I hopw it proves worth it-better to tackle there and then I guess

Hope you are suitably punished Minni. It was hot indeed but I like hot. That's how I was 1.5 minutes slower this year but only lost 12 places.

Great heroics GM- nice to help others achieve their goals 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Yes Moof, I think I'm ready for it. I've got a couple of high volume weeks planned and then a 2 week taper with a bit of intensity thrown in and then I'll be ready to go. The traffic lights were a pain and we had been warned that jumping them was instant DQ so they had marshals at each set who were noting down who was stopped at the lights and then bike times were adjusted. It was a bit of a fudge to be honest though and I got my time adjusted by about 75s I think but should have been more like 3mins based on my mental tally and then looking at the Garmin data afterwards. 

Great news Minni! Now don't get all over excited and overdo it. Nice and easy makes for a real recovery.

feel the burn Ant!

Well done GM! Shame about the fall though. Is she ok now?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

7m Recovery run plus gym this morning. Bad idea, combination of ear infection plus treadmill should not be mixed - balance is needed apparently.  On the antibiotics now and will be sticking to dodging in and out of traffic this week.

Great effort at the weekend SJ. Although you get the time adjustment, the traffic lights must be a bit irritating. Very similar to Leicester marathon last year where there is a rail crossing, and if the gates were down you get an adjustment. Puts you off your stride a bit. I managed to slip through just before they came down.

GM, last week it was Hobos, and this week damsels in distress. What next! Looks like you did a great job with the pacing though.

Another great track meet from Jools to add to Speedy's results. Isn't it time one of us chaps start doing the short hurty stuff. Definitely not my game, too much of a wimp.

Keir - looking forward to seeing some photos from the mud fest. I'm thinking this must be a nightmare for photographers, trying to link you to the images.

Most significant session on the thread sounds like the ordeal Ant has been put through. Hope it sorts you out, and you sound as happy as Minni  by tomorrow

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Yes she is ok but has bad superifcial wounds all down her leg, arm and hands but nothing that won't heal.

AR - Hah, I know it's becoming a vocation.

OO - Pacing somone is definitely worthwhile as long as you're realistic and it's something I will be doing more of if in the future if I get the opportunity.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've never tried it GM- I'm a bit too selfish...

• Sounds like a nasty fall GM. That was some savage pace work you put in at the end, Respect.
    Ant, more savagery. I must get myself some precautionary physio, before I need restorative work.
    Jus biking for me, 48 miles done.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - wow! Fantastic tri result. Sound like you're ready for Outlaw.
    Ant - hope the agony was worth it. Fingers crossed.
    Minni - great news.
    Moof - hope you're feeling better today.
    GM - hope your friend is OK - good to read your comment later. Congrats to the other and well done to you.
    Blisters - a 48 mile bike ride would be more than enough for me!
    10 easy miles d&d and the sun is shining.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I'm back and, hopefully, will be on here as bit more. Been lurking but not much time to post I'm afraid. Work still stupidly busy and family life time consuming but enough of my whingeing. On to better things:

As ever some inspirational running/biking/swimming going on. Hope I don't miss anyone:

SJ - marvellous effort in the tri. Must be delighted with the time. As you say 12-15 hours per week consistently has to bring just rewards!

Ant - No pain and all that, but it does sound nasty. Hope the fizz has sorted the issue!

Minni - things seem to be looking up. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you.

moof - - I know that feeling. Always tough when we have too much to fit in. Hopefully, more time will free itself up soon.

GM - great team play. Really respect you for that. I hope you took some satisfaction from it but sounds a dreadful fall that your friend suffered. How is she now?

AR - treadmills can certainly be a dangerous place to run without any balance! Out od interest could you recommend a decent indoor rower for a beginner like me. I fancy incorporating some into my cross-training!

Jools/Speedy - very good track stuff ladies!

Blisters - 48 miles is a nice distance. I need to start raising my game.

Gul - no sunshine here. Nice 10 D&D.

As for me, I've hardly done a thing for a couple of weeks. Picked up a sore left knee a few weeks before Halstead but managed to nurse through the taper and didn't trouble me on race day. I ran a few times after the marathon and it was ok but I thought a rest would help so took 10 days off. Was ok until I played hockey last Wednesday and within a few days every joint in my body hurt! Not used to the twisting and turning, I guess. Anyhow, I got out for a 4.5 miler at 7:39mm average this morning but uncomfortable all way. Knee actually gets better when I run and I'm not in any discomfort for the rest of the day.

Does this sound like runners knee - it is sore over the front of the knee-cap? What do those that know better recommend? Bought new shoes today!!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

DS2, have a listen to the "talk training" segment of episode 36 of Talk Ultra - you can get it off iTunes - biomechanics / Physio guy spends 10 minutes talking about knees. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

DS2 - my friend is fine thanks, albeit with alot less skin and badly bruised. Indeed I did, and as I mentioned in a previous post I plan to do more of that sort of thing, it's fun and very rewarding.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

DS2 - the machines used by most rowing clubs, gyms, enthusiasts etc is the Concept 2. The model D is found in most gyms, and is the one used competitively. New, they would set you back close to a £1k  but are likely to last a lifetime! You can often pick up cheaper  on ebay etc second hand. There are dozens of other  rowers available for the home market- I don't know the details / quality of these though . 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

DS2 - good to hear from you again - hope the knee issue is nothing serious.
    I did 4 easy miles a little while ago.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks AR. I did wonder if that was the case. We were visiting a Uni for my daughter at the weekend and the rowing club was full of those machines. I shall look to see if I can pick one up on ebay.

Gul - I iced it regularly last night and applied some ibuprofen gel and it seems much better this morning. I shall of course be careful. Don't want to scupper my Abingdon marathon training before it's even started. Nice early miles!

SJ - I'll try to take a good look on there this evening. Hopefully, I'll have a bit of spare time. Thanks for the heads up!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Hi all,been lurking whilst I get my base back up to 30+ miles post VLM with very little of interest to report.

A number of noteworthy efforts particularly SJ, the track work by Jools and Speedy and the benevolence of GM. I plan to pace people myself and am toying with the Chester Full later on in the year as I dont plan on racing a Mara this year (presently).

10 x 400 in 76/78 secs for me yesterday in prep for Sundays 10k on Sunday. Modest build up of miles is leaving the legs fatigued and a little prone to niggles but to be expected.

Have entered Lytham Half in July so something else to target image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

What time are you shooting for Menna?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I'm still writing my report.  Actually I am thinking about why I slowed so significantly in the final third of the race and why I broke down completely with 4km to go. I'm in a new search to understand how to train for the last third of the ultramarathon and not the first two thirds. I'm considering a bit of an experiment for the next marathon - it involves more strength training and less running.

I'm not running at the mo due to my calf having something unmentionable going on.  So I started some strength training today.  The farmers walk (walk carrying 2 dumbells) is the way forward - easy on the legs but a good work out for the core.

Nice work on the HM GM - if you can make run that time comfortably then no reason why you shouldn't target sub 3:15 on the next marathon outing.

• Interesting HM race Gerrard and a fine pace you put in to catch up your friend again!

Tasty 400m reps Menn, good luck for Sunday.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Menn - Good to hear that you are thinking about pacing as well. I would like to do a full mara as a pacer one day but need to run a few more myself first. Look forward to hearing about your 10k. Are you targetting a specific time?

Bike it - I think I may have mentioned to you before that my brother in law lives in SA nad has 12 Comrades medals. He was a sub 3 marathoner in his prime and he only ever managed a sub 9 hour finish twice. This guy trains hard and is still extremely fit but he two has suffered in the last stretch of various different ones. I will ask him next time I speak to him how he trains specifically for that sort of thing.

5k lunch run for me today just over the 20 mins, felt nice and not too fast.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

BikeIt, I remember hearing an interview with an ultra runner who lives on one of the Scottish islands and his approach was to cut his volume right down but do his training runs wearing a chain mail vest! He also did a lot of strength work on top of this. It would be an interesting experiment. Won't be long before we're all running up hillsides carrying anvils!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Hi chaps, entered a post and lost it.....

PB is 17.35 on a hily route 2 weeks before VLM so should be high 16.xx but unsure which end as my 5k pb of 17.29  converts to a low 16.xx. Prob going to set of slap bang in the middle and adjust after 4k or so depending on how fresh I feel, but based on recent efforts I seem to have lost a bit of fitness/pace somewhere along the way.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Slokey - that's William Sichel who has about 60 WRs in various age groups for ultra-endurance things like 6 days events or 1000mile events.  He's coming up for 60 but can outpace anyone on here.

He does stuff like 15minutes carrying his own body weight, 3 hour runs with 20kg of weight (chain mail or weighted vest),epic strength sessions in his shed, heat acclimatisation in his self made system. He trains 18 hours a week but only runs 40-60 miles, meaning he is probably doing around 10 hours of non running training.

I've got duct tape and a bag of sand in the garage to make a nice durable sandbag for a startimage

Cheers GM - any tips from SA legends are appriciated, particulary Green Numbers

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's the chap!

• Usual 2nd Wednesday of the month handicap today, the one I won last month as my handicap had improved greatly during my injury. No such luck today, handicap was 7 minutes for a 2.3 mile course and that leaves me needing to run a perfect race and hope nobody else has a blinder. Came in 14th so not too bad and I was faster than last month which is also good. Odd thing is the racing mojo has gone, first showed up on Sunday and then again today. Looking at my calendar, I have now done 20 weeks on the trot with 40 miles or more and clocked up 900 miles in those weeks.

I guess I need a rest and luckily I have a week in Italy with daughter #3 as an end of GCSE celebration trip. It will be an odd trip, no running kit as I am not allowed to leave a teenage daughter alone in Italy and she also has a flute exam so she is taking a flute and will be practising as we travel about. I reckon we can make money playing at the Spanish Steps and other tourist attractions. Checked with the airlines and you can take a device that is metal, hollow and assembles to a long, regular tube and there is no issue with that: still can't take nail clippers though.

•  

Mennania - See you (and Fraser) at Lytham, then! Btw, that's a pacy 10k PB you've got there image.

The weather has turned decent at last and so my reps session was at 8.00 a.m., but in 20ºC of heat. I did 5 x 1000 in 3:44-3:48, trying to keep it controlled and even paced.

This foot of mine is still giving me gyp, but is runnable on. What exactly was your problem, Minni, and how did you solve it apart from not running?

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Ultra training - Chain mail vest!  Popping out for a walk carrying a pair of dumbells!

Nice reps Ant.

Mennania- I'm confused.

Lorenzo- Newbury 200k sportive, I'm in!  What better way to celebrate my 46th Birthday. You'll recognise me as I'll be the only bloke with hairy legs.

I did some running today, 9 miles along the canal this evening and also did some hill repeats on my bike at lunch time. They were tough.

• PMJ:
    You can take the components for an UZI 9mm in your hold luggage (may need a bit of paper) so long as the firing pin is in your hand luggage.

I was talking to a chap who was an international shooting competitor. Sh1t loads of paperwork. Guns in locked cases in the aircraft hold. They get to Florida, and the guns come straight up the normal luggage conveyor and round the carousel. They were extremely pi... annoyed, as these devices cost over 10 grand a pair. Look up Holland and Holland, gunsmiths. My computer's just thrown up a restricted report to the powers that be. The Firm is watching me.

As for nail clippers, you might just terrorise the Stewardess.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - still not sure exactly what the problem was with the calf but basically not running seemed to sort it. I had a heavy weekend of cross trainwith along with 1m Sat, 2m Sun, 3m Mon, 4m Tue, then today I did 2 mikes off road this morning and was keen to try the road tonight. Did 2.5 with 0.5 a bit slower then 1m @ 8:04 and 1m @ 7:43 with no pain at all.  In fact I don't think I could have made it hurt if I'd wanted to. So, very happy. image   Hope the foot sorts itself out. I ran through PF for about a year a couple of years ago. Running didn't make it worse so just kept going. Hope yours gets better soon. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Mennania - very speedy 400m intervals. I presume Sunday's 10k is a 5k?
    GM - good 5k - might have to consider lunchtime runs myself as evenings are just not working out.
    PMJ - how will you survive without nail clippers? A week in Italy sounds appealing.
    Ant - good reps.
    Moof - hill repeats on a bike sounds like torture.
    Minni - steady progress.
    10 steady miles this morning - legs feeling tired - still over a week to go to cut-back week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good to see you recovering Minni. My schedule is built around the Newburn 6.5 miler next Wednesday- I'll be on the track tonight.

I've forgotten what you are training for Gul but I see you are pileing on the miles.