Army Training

Morning all,

I'm a 25 year old female, I cycle 10 miles every day (comuting) and weight train twice a week. I'm 5'8" and weigh 155 lbs, I'm quite a strong girl i can bench 50kg plus bar. I can complete the 1.5 in 15 minutes but I want to get it down to 12 minutes to look good for army selection. This is the plan I've come up with, adjust if you think I need to please and any advice you can offer too would also be muchly appreciated, thanks image

Mon - gentle 3 mile run

Tue - 30 sec walk, 30 sec jog, 30 sec sprint x 10

Wed - gentle 3 miles

Thur - run up hill, walk down x 10

Fri - gentle 3 miles

Sat & Sun - rest.

Comments

• Also how long do you think it will take me to reach my goal?

• Sian,

I am no expert in training techniques but looking at your proposed training schedule I would say that it is a little too easy.  You need to increase the distance of your runs; start increasing slowly and build up to 10K.  If you cycle as much as you do that should not be too difficult and you definitely need to do interval training to help build up your speed and strength.  I am sure others will give you much better advice but that is what I would do.  I am in the RAF and recently worked with the Army and I managed to get my 1.5M time down from 11.05 to 9.30 in 8 months by running longer and doing interval training.  Good Luck.

• Wow, 9.30 is almost para-fit! Well done, I'll take your advice on board, thank you.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Try and make one of your gentle runs a little longer, up to 6 miles or so over a few weeks. It will help to build up some base running fitness.

Instead of the sprints I would go for running a number of 800m reps At the same pace as the time you want to achieve.
  • Would you recommend the treadmill to do that? I can't figure out how else to know my pace? 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You could do. I've never used a treadmill so don't have any experience.

I use my Garmin watch to work out my pace outside.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I can run a lot faster on the treadmill than I can outside, so if I trained on a tready I'd get a shock when it came to the real thing.

Either get a GPS of some kind, or I believe some phones apps will do it for you.

• I've got runtastic on my phone but it only tells me my pace in .5 mile increments. Maybe if I train quite above my goal pace on the treadmill it'll equate to the right pace outside. 

• Garmin 110 plus heart rate monitor is around £140 on amazon, basic but ideal for running.

Sports Tracker is a great phone app.  http://www.sports-tracker.com/ I found it worked perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S2 (which other apps didn't), and it was intuitive and easy to use.  The app is free but a heart rate monitor that syncs with it is about £70.

Ski Tracks http://www.corecoders.com/CoreCoders/skitracks.html best for skiing, but costs 70p (if interested).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I do some of mine on tmill. everyone has a different view. I find it useful to know exactly pace and distance. i do though add a bit to the pace i am running at to compensate for the fact its easier, perhaps 8-10 secs per mile.

• Just stretch one of your gentle 3 mile runs longer by 1 mile a week, and do one of the other 3 mile runs a bit slower than your 1.5 mile target.

When you do the 1.5mile I think they run you gently around the course first so you end up doing 1.5 gentle miles before you start. If you're used to running 6+ miles gently before then, that first 1.5 miles will just be a good warm up.

Good luck!

• Thanks all!

New plan - 

mon - 6 miles

tue - 800m @ 8.5 mph x 5 (goal pace = 7.5)

wed - 3 mlies

Thur - hill reps

fri - 3 miles 

Seem right? I'm 3 days into being a non-smoker so I'm sure I'll see results from that too. Thanks all again!

• Sian,

Are you able to train at the weekend?  If you are I would have a rest day during the week and do your long run on Sat or Sun.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Round here we have Royal Marines; they run in boots carrying rucksacks. In my experience running 'in kit' takes a bit of getting used to. I am not suggesting you do too much, do not injure yourself, but getting a few miles in with a few pounds on could help you to get used to it.

Btw I am told that MARINE means Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential. 

• One high intensity workout is more then enough for a beginner. You have 2. Try to work out your training zones, such as VO2max pace and lactate, although 1.5 miles is a  VO2max run so I wouldn't bother with a lactate threshold run if I were you.

If 15 mins for 1.5 miles is really your best then your VO2max pace is a bit faster then this. about 6.5mph or 9.30min miles. So do your quality work out at this speed.

Here's where to work out your training paces.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

• Sideburn, that's the Royals - they are a different breed! Sian will do her BFT in trainers and running gear.

Sian, have a look at the site, if you haven't already:

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20261.aspx

Follow the links and there is a full training programme designed for this.

And as others have said - distance and especially intervals are what will get your time down.  Good luck!

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I was more thinking of when Sian passes the fitness test

• Distance and intervals. hill reps are helpful intervals, yeah? Should I change all my gentle recove runs to 6 mile runs? I know I'm free to run mon - Fri but the weekends are a bit less predictable for me that's why all my runs are workdays. I'll do this for a month and report back! Thanks fellas. Plus I'm hoping to join REME image 

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Good choice and good luck image 

I am not sure whether this would take you to one of my old stomping grounds (Arborfield)

• It would indeed, basic training anyway I think trade is blandford. Better know that for certain before my interview lol. I just had an idea. I'm going to replace weds training with a 30 mile bike ride so I don't over train. I wish I could cycle my 1.5. Would be easy. 

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I think it is OK to combine cycling with running the two compliment each other (he says after a steady 100k). But if you want to become a better runner you have got to run. But if I do too much, I know all about it! (and reach for the ibuprofen)

Silly question, please do not take it the wrong way, but do you know the difference between the REME and the Royal Engineers? Just stuff that you need to know before your interview

• Yeah image royal engineers minus education = REME. Hahaha. Royal electrical and mechanical engineers.  I've done a fair bit of research and REME is for me. I'm a mechanical engineer at the moment, a cnc miller. Royal engineers are more bridge builders etc. didn't really fickle my tancy. You an ex-serviceman? 

• From an ex squaddie good luck with basic (don't volunteer for anything image) hope you get in to your chosen Regiment.We used to run in boots and webbing as on the battle field you can't change your footwear image so it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a short run with them inc a backpack,just too get used to it

The first 4 weeks are the toughest after that they will slack off a bit but your fitness will be a large part of what will get you through ..good luck I hope it goes well image

• What regiment were you? Did you love army life?

• (QLR) Queens Lancashire Regiment in the mid 80s we had SLR's then (Self Loading Rifle) not the SA80 you will be using,the worst posting was Northern Ireland (2 tours)

I loved some of the Army life but like any job it has its good bits (shooting at things,travel,mates,nights out your remember/nights you havn't got the foggiest but do have pictures image) and the bad,guard duty,cold nights in the field,cleaning everything

Think of it as job and you will be ok but one with a very difficult probationary period (first 3 months) my advice

Don't volunteer (e.g asked if anyone can drive ? well drive yourself to the toilets and get them cleaned)

Parade Ground ..This is sacred DO NOT WALK OVER IT !! walk around it

Its a Weapon not a gun and its not for fun (see Full Metal Jacket)

Learn to eat fast in Basic (or stick it on a butty and eat while marching)

Do not Tick Tock on Parade

Know your left from your right

Listen to your instructors especially on the ranges

Always have your weapon facing down the ranges (as you could blow someones head off)

Let go of grenades (yes it happens)

Count your shots (no deadman clicks here please)

I could go on ..but next to school it can be the best days of your life,the confidence you will gain,no such thing as I can't anymore ...and what ever you do ....

DO NOT JOIN THE F....ING NAVY image....image

• I spent 8 years in the army and left in 2008, sit ups before the run will help, core exercises and proper squats!

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

What is wrong with the navy?

Heard of the wall test?

They put potential navy recruits in front of an 10ft wall;

If they successfully work together to climb over the wall - Navy

If they try to fight their way through the wall - Marine

• My dad is ex-RAF and I've already been told that navy = being disowned lol. I really hope I get into the army. I've just quit smoking too so hopefully my run time will get shorter quickly. I just hope I'm not an old fart at 25! I've just added circuits into my training 3x a week so fingers crossed I'll be able to keep up with the whipper snappers!

• SideBurn wrote (see)

What is wrong with the navy?

Heard of the wall test?

They put potential navy recruits in front of an 10ft wall;

If they successfully work together to climb over the wall - Navy

If they try to fight their way through the wall - Marine

• Sian Flahant wrote (see)

My dad is ex-RAF and I've already been told that navy = being disowned lol. I really hope I get into the army. I've just quit smoking too so hopefully my run time will get shorter quickly. I just hope I'm not an old fart at 25! I've just added circuits into my training 3x a week so fingers crossed I'll be able to keep up with the whipper snappers!

Yes you will be seen as an old fogey but don't worry we saw the more mature candidates found basic easier to get through ..think about your passing out parade during any low points

Good luck