Race to the Stones

This looks a great event.  Not cheap, but could be a lovely weekend.  Anyone else thinking about this?

http://www.racetothestones.com/

Comments

• Considered if briefly, then spotted that it's more to do it all in one than to split it over two days, makes for an expensive 100k.

Looking at it as a weekend activity, seems better value..

• The cheaper 2 day option does not include camping fees.  I've been on the Ridgeway at various times of year and hot and dry is much better than cold wet and muddy.  The worst irritant for me is the oil seed rape flowers, but these tend to bloom early May - when the Ridgeway 40 is held.  I would love to do this, but things a bit 'up in the air' at the moment and not sure if I can commit myself.

• I like the look of this but I'm doing my first ultra a few weeks before. Depending on any positive feedback, I'll think about it for next year.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

£120 for 100k?!!? Yet only £95 if you take 2 days to do it. Just train a bit more and enter the Ridgeway 85, 4 weeks later.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Is that really ironic? or coincidence? or just a peice of information that may be neither? image

Hope you are set for Reading, there are high hopes for you. 75 mins or bust.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Yep... Ok then. You think 45 mins is achievable? Those boosts must be good.
  • ha ha ha WIB!

I looked at this one too, looks really nice but it costs way to much!

Any idea how feasible it would be to just do it on your own? Water stops, shops maybe near the trail?

Was thinking of doing this with my brother in law just on our own with a gps but was a little unsure about water

• Still mulling this over - quite keen and have walked the Ridgeway before (and loved it).Still a bit pricey for my liking, but think I may save up for it. Fancy doing something a bit different.

• I'm breaking my ultra marathon cherry so to speak on this one. I've no idea why this one, other than a mate asked if I wanted to do, and I was feeling in a good mood at the time!

I hope it's a good one. But yeah, probably quite pricey for an ultra....i hope I get a bloody good t shirt!!!

• Entered some time back - but then did an unscheduled L2B this weekend so hope I will recover in time.  I know these events are pricey - I could have had a luxury spa break for what I paid to tramp through the mud and woods - not to mention pain - but then it's what we doimage..

• The marketing/premise makes it sounds awesome.  And sometimes that's what one wants in a race - the "hook" which makes it seem like an epic adventure rather than simply an awfully long way.

But too expensive for me. 

• Well peeps I gave in! Its just to darn pretty to miss! I shall be at the start line nursing my broken wallet! image 

• at least your wallet will be lighter to carry B2B  image

• I'm seriously regretting entering now as the logistics are a nightmare! I entered as it seemed well organised but having just been emailed my 'race pack' it just looks like a joke. The promised shuttle buses to and from the start have to be paid for and are not cheap (£25 one way) and you can only get on the bus you pre-book which means you have to guess your finish time if you are late you are stranded!

There is no shuttle to the station as promised, they suggest you book the cab in advance which once again requires you to know your finish time? Even if half the predicted 600 field use cabs that's 300 people looking to find a cab in Avebury going to Swindon! You can of course go by car but that £10 plus £25 coach adding £35 to the already inflated entry fee.

After running 100k the last thing you want to be doing is worrying about how to get home image

• Yes - I was was shocked at the sudden disappearance of the shuttle buses.  More stress and expense.  Shall be contacting the organisers to complain as they were supposedly part of the package.

• Just compared prices - Extreme Energy - Druids Challenge - 84 miles of Ridgeway over 3 days, food and basic accommodation, shuttle bus to start and either to Swindon station, or back to Tring included, earlv bird entry £150.  Trail Runners Ridgeway Challenge - full distance in about 28 hours, shuttle bus to start only - early bird entry £40 - less if affiliated.

• If anyone is interested in a slightly more wallet / purse friendly 100k option, there is the Stour Valley Path 100 in September, which is £55 to enter. Hopefully the weather may be a little cooler at that time of the year too, and more hayfever friendly image

Web address for the race is www.svp100.co.uk

Also an incredibly beautiful route (running through the Dedham Vale AONB) and there are train stations very close to the start and finish.

• Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

Just compared prices - Extreme Energy - Druids Challenge - 84 miles of Ridgeway over 3 days, food and basic accommodation, shuttle bus to start and either to Swindon station, or back to Tring included, earlv bird entry £150.  Trail Runners Ridgeway Challenge - full distance in about 28 hours, shuttle bus to start only - early bird entry £40 - less if affiliated.

I was going to do the £40 Trail runners race but chose this as I don't have my own transport and they clearly said 'they would be providing shuttle buses' there was no mention of booking taxis in advance to ensure you get home or paying to get picked up from the Oxford tube. Ok they didn't state it was free but if a race organiser says they will provide something that usually means free, I was half expecting them to charge us for the food at check points and the medal (maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas!).

• I have now contacted the organisers.  I await their response with interest.  Watch this space....

• For £120 pounds early bird and £140 pounds standard charge you could enter the Hardmoors Grand Slam, consisting of:

Hardmoors 30

Hardmoors 55

Hardmoors 60

Hardmoors 110

Surely the best value in ultra running!

http://hardmoors110.org.uk/cms/?q=node/157

• Not all of us are runners - imageimage.

• Bear B.Hind, If you can walk very fast (at 4.7mph), it's possible to complete the Stour Valley Path 100 before the cut-off. However, given it's an inaugural race, there will be a bit of flexibility on the cut-off times...they are not going to be too strict image

• Sorry - can't walk that fast - can't even run that fast image imageimage (I am quite an elderly Bear).

• Well, it's still impressive if you are even contemplating a 100km walk. Well done you!

• I am following this discussion with interest as I am thinking this may be a good race to do next year as a stepping stone for the TRA Ridgeway Challenge. I appreciate the logistics do get expensive when you are doing long point to point races. But the entry fee looks similar to those for the Centurion Running events and they get very good reviews? Don't they have similar extra transport costs? Isn't the TRA event the exception?

(PS I am a TRA member as I think they deserve the support)

• Richie H wrote (see)

I am following this discussion with interest as I am thinking this may be a good race to do next year as a stepping stone for the TRA Ridgeway Challenge. I appreciate the logistics do get expensive when you are doing long point to point races. But the entry fee looks similar to those for the Centurion Running events and they get very good reviews? Don't they have similar extra transport costs? Isn't the TRA event the exception?

(PS I am a TRA member as I think they deserve the support)

I know for a fact xnrg will run you to the station and back at their ultras but never done a Centurion event. I don't mind the cost if its up front but they clearly stated they would be providing a shuttle service which implies its part of the package. The other issues are the bus back to the start is obviously aimed at the 2 day event those that are doing it non stop will have to hang around 12 hours before the bus service. The bus also has to be booked by time slot and you cannot get an earlier or later bus which is a pain in the butt. They will pick you up from the Oxford tube coach stop for £10 but there is no return service. If you want to leave you car at the end they will charge you £10 plus £25 to get to the start.

I can swallow the public transport costs but charging competitors for parking AND the bus is taking the mick in my view.

There are supposed to be 600+ entering so if they use 50 seater coaches for the 90 min shuttle that's £1250 per coach, if you consider National Express is only £10 return London to Swindon someone is taking advantage of their customers.

• I've done a number of the Centurion Running events, ranging from 50 mile to 100 mile races. The 50 mile races are priced at approx. £65, and obviously the price increases above £100 when looking at their 100 mile races. These are very well run events, and the majority of the costs are associated with medical support.

It's my understanding that for RTTS (62 miles), the non-stop option costs £119; two days including overnight camping costs £184. Without camping, two days costs £95.

I think you have to bear in mind that RTTS is organised by an event management company called Threshold Sports. As such, I'd imagine that they have a number of fixed costs, which probably increases the overall entry fee.

They have been marketing the event as "the most accessible ultra marathon in the UK". I'm not sure this is true, based upon the comments within this forum.