Religion

Religion. A good thing or bad? Just seen a haunted young girl on TV. Just wants to grow up in Syria. Is it religious differerences that stop her ? Would the world be worse off or better off without religion?

Comments

• So would the hate still be there without religion? Is religion just a vehicle for hatred of one set of people to another?

• Yes I like that. People fear their own instict because it has no backing of a philosophy recognised by society. Hard to believe that YOU are right and a religion backed by millions is wrong. But even religions can't agree on anything. More Muslims have been killed by Muslims than any other religion. Same goes for Christians.

• Religion and politics are being discussed all the time everywhere as far as I can see. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Almost as often as people work with animals and children.

Actually, nativity plays should be a big fat no-no, shouldn't they?

• people just use religion as an excuse........

religion is used for many good causes in the world.............buts sadly by extremists of those same religions for horrible causeimage

• Probably not Nick.............how many people in the tudor times alone were killed for wither being catholic or protestant at the wrong time.....multiply this across a number of european countries

• It's like most big ideas isn't it. It can be a vehicle for good or bad.

In the end the problem is people drawing a circle around who is or isn't part of the "in" group and shelving all the tolerance bits that had to be there to prevent the religion being persecuted to extinction when it was powerless.

Once your in group is too big you have to have schism and division otherwise you run out of enemies, so eventually you get more killing within the group of sects with a common origin than with other groups.

Wherever religion has been largely abandoned it hasn't really produced a significant change in ordinary peoples lives, other than a significant reduction in the number of silly hats sold. So bad news for milliners I suppose.

I would rather religion didn't exist but I suspect that nationalism, tribalism, or some other bad idea would stand in its stead everywhere and no-one would significantly benefit

• seren nos wrote (see)

religion is used for many good causes in the world.............buts sadly by extremists of those same religions for horrible causeimage

What surprises me is just how much truly horrible shit it is possible to justify using a holy book. The Old Testament alone can be used to justify really, really, really unpleasant things. Why don't the lovely huggy peaceful Christians just disown those bits? It's not like they haven't edited it before. Why keep printing such hateful nonsense?

• Yes, discrimination and hate of the other will always find a way.

• I think most people DON'T trust their instincts. If they did the world might be a better place. People think the big organisations must know better. 

• I can't fathom it. 

Religion made absolute sense when we were unable to explain the heavens, plagues, floods and other natural disasters.

Now that we can, what purpose does it serve apart from the community thing?

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

The bible like the koran is probably vague by design, if you give a straightforward plan for life why would anyone argue

I wouldn't mind the bible being a bit more vague in the bits I'm thinking of. It's terribly specific about how to deal with people who try to convert you to another religion, have a bit of the good old bum sex, or eat shellfish. Also encourages a bit of genocide as long as god is on your side.

• The Q'uran is total obscure poetry. You can make it say anything you want. To peace on earth to kill the infidels. Today's religion is the EU. Are their charters any more clear. Is that why lawyers get paid millions to decipher it. The Imams of Europe?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nicky are you thinking of this bit? (rendered in lego).

• No mystery really though - the major religious texts were all written by men. Human men with political agendas and a hunger for power and control.

People just like to be sheep though don't they? Look at these idiots following this Aussie bloke calling himself Jesus. Heaven forbid you should think for yourself and make your own decisions in life - so much easier to let someone else tell you what to do.

• That and others like it lit!

Those poor, poor lego people.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As far as I understand it. Groups held together by religion were on the whole more successful than those not.

The original co-operative, all singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak.

True that most; if not all religions were strung together by men, with an ulterior motive. The more modern religion's certainly were. Nothing more than a means to a shag-a-thon with a bunch of paedophiles added for bad measure.

🙂

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Religion. A good thing or bad? Just seen a haunted young girl on TV. Just wants to grow up in Syria. Is it religious differerences that stop her ? Would the world be worse off or better off without religion?

Can be good or bad but on balance bad.   Why we privilege religious belief over other  ideology or identities i don 't know - people should be free to believe what the like and religious belief should be no more protected or persecuted than other beliefs.      

• There's nothing wrong with religion on the whole, but the problems begin when certain people misinterpret it, creating fundamentalist terrorism.

Some prime examples are the morons who murdered the soldier in Woolwich the other week. Most Muslims are peace loving individuals, but these morons give the religion a bad name. The same can be said for the IRA terrorists of the 1970 and 1980s, or the Catholic priests involved in abuse scandals, or the Klu Klux Klan members in America who preach hatred against black people.

Religion isn't the problem, but extremism is.

• literatin wrote (see)

Nicky are you thinking of this bit? (rendered in lego).

that is sooooo good image

• Rickster wrote (see)

There's nothing wrong with religion on the whole, but the problems begin when certain people misinterpret it,

See that's where I'd differ. The problems often begin when people read it properly and stick to it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It's still just hocus pocus voodoo nonsense.

🙂

• Seems the non peace loving minority of Muslims in Syria have killed over 100,000 people. Good job they are a minority.