Religion

2»

Comments

• Rickster wrote (see)

There's nothing wrong with religion on the whole, but the problems begin when certain people misinterpret it, creating fundamentalist terrorism.

but how do you know who's interpreting it correctly?

For me the religious aspect is problemmatic - because it leads to some people believing something as unquestionnable and not using their critical faculties.

• they are loads of extremist who are not based on a religion though..........so probably atheist.

some extremists are found amongst the following

animal rights people
    Anti nuclear protestors
    keep britain british
    football supporters.( not so bad nowadays)..

anywhere where you get a mass of people together you will get extremists.....

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Seems the non peace loving minority of Muslims in Syria have killed over 100,000 people. Good job they are a minority. 

I'm quite liking what's going on in Turkey - people protesting about having a certain ideology imposed on them. Good to see it's not all one way.

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

When a hypnotist picks people out of the audience to do his tricks he knows who to pick, generally the dicks. The religious leaders alsp spot the dicks to carry out their bidding. Gullible people fall prey to religions. I don't know of any atheist extremists

You might be forgetting a few communist leaders that slaughtered millions then

• This is true. On a personal level people can charm/persuade people into doing just about anything, it doesn't  have to be connected with religion.

Hitler was apparently personally charismatic, as was Idi Amin, as is your average psychopath. People have lied, killed, cheated, stolen and turned their backs on their families under the influence of people like them.

• Religion only exists so I can wear a dress and not be frowned upon by my own familyimage

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Hitler was very Charismatic, but what aided him was a country where the normal working man had been deserted by the politics of the day. This is similar in some respects to the recent rise in popularity of the UKIP party, and our mainstream parties deserting the middle English voter.

Hitler tapped into a certain mood and gave them very basic human requirements in return, a little more earning power a look at new affordable technology and hey presto, a feeling of being listened to amounted to a new superiority. Stalin did it with electrification of cities and education for all, but took them on a similar ride to Hitler.

I wouldn't disagree with that but the point being made was that you could have atheist extremists (or at least those who don't claim that wat they are doing is in the name of God/Allah/Yoda) as well as religious ones. Economic circumstances often help determine whether either sort of group rises or falls.

• Extremists exploit ideology to legitimise their actions.  The ideology is not necessarily religious, but it must be pretty convenient to be able to leverage the groundwork of centuries of brainwashing.

• A good man is a man who knows right from wrong and given the choice will take the right path. Some religious people keep their women in line by keeping them under lock and key and denying them any freedom. Visit a country like Turkey and you will see that men denied access to women act like dogs on heat the minute they have a chance. A man denied choice by strict religion is no more a good man that a prisoner who doesn't steal because he is locked in a prison cell. 

• According to fundamentalist types (of various religions) it's all women's fault for making men mad with desire for them.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Visit a country like Turkey and you will see that men denied access to women act like dogs on heat the minute they have a chance. A man denied choice by strict religion is no more a good man that a prisoner who doesn't steal because he is locked in a prison cell. 

Suss lad, you're right of course, but you don't have to go as far as Turkey to see it demonstrated.

• "My beloved thrust his hand through the latch-opening;
        my heart began to pound for him.
    5 I arose to open for my beloved,
        and my hands dripped with myrrh,
    my fingers with flowing myrrh,
        on the handles of the bolt."

Pretty filthy stuff.

• Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

"My beloved thrust his hand through the latch-opening;
        my heart began to pound for him.
    5 I arose to open for my beloved,
        and my hands dripped with myrrh,
    my fingers with flowing myrrh,
        on the handles of the bolt."

Pretty filthy stuff.

No idea what you mean. image

• The literal translation from the King james bible is

"My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him"

so yes pretty filthy I'd say

• Must say I prefer Nicky's version image

• Ah but my knowledge is thus, Bowels in the Bible meant heart. So my heart moved for him IE it skipped a beat image

• How do you know what they meant in the bible?

• Oh whoops just read the KJV from scremapillar, thought I was going to look super clever now I look like a tw**

• From studying it for 3 years. Listening to people who have studied it longer and know a lot more than me. From studying the historical facts on social history during the Bible from knowing where the translations come from and where they were altered into the English language. From talking to people who can read the orginal and yes I mean orginal scrolls and codecs, who understand ancient Hebrew and Greek image

• You need to get a life mateimage

• All of which is well and good, but the song of songs is still filthy.

• Song of songs is a bit mucky lol But then so is the stories of soddam and gomorrah. Loads of man love there image

SR yeah the mrs says the same.  Luckily though the only real religion I deal with on a day to day basis is on this forum image Most of the time i'd say 99% of the time in my job religion has nothing to do with anything. But it's usually somebody just wanting somebody to talk to. Theology very rarely crops up in a Vicars job, so given any opportunity I get on my high horse image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Stories of sodomy and gonorrhea eh! oh hang on, I wasn't wearing my glasses.

🙂

• TheVicar wrote (see)

Oh whoops just read the KJV from scremapillar, thought I was going to look super clever now I look like a tw**

Not guilty, it was Runnin man.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

You need to get a life mate.

Said the OP.

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Canute is just my little pet troll sheena so wouldn't worry what it says.

Said DT.

Just someone or something else you own, then.

• Oh I do love it when it gets personal...