RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• 8 miles for me again this morning : 1 :09 ...a whole 5 minutes faster than last week (8:41 min mile) I can really feel the fitness returnng. image

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Well done Rachel! Great improvement there! You must be chuffed.

just back from a roughly 3.5 mile run in 30 mins. My sixth run in Berlin and a stunning day for it!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Great running RachAnd and Ricky. 

15 miles for me this morning in about 2:25. Felt very comfy again and I made it up a couple of steep hills quite well. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Everyone seems to be doing well on their runs, it is always nice to see an improvement on your times Rachel. Sounds as though you had fun last night Ricky.

Miles seem to be building up Carter?

How long are you spending in Berlin AliBali? You must have seen everything twice  by now..lol!

Went for a 5k run this morning whilst the kids were at their swimming lesson. Think I still had the aftermath of the footie in my legs from Thursday night and struggled slightly. I was a bit all over the place , Mile 1 - 6:27, Mile 2 - 7:15, and Mile 3 -6:45. Completed the 5k in 21:09. Mile 2 was slightly uphill which was ok, but the wind had decided to pick up. So I cut off the main road and ran on the side streets which made it a bit easier, albeit a bit twisty turny. I shoud have gone before breakfast, that'll serve me right for being lazy and having a lie in ;0)

Hopefully try a longer run tomorrow, and start to get back into things. My wife has started to get back out running in the mornings now, so I have to behave and take my turn ....

• Neil- I would love to "struggle" on a run with times like those!!

Carter- 15 miles and niggle free?

Aliabli- how long have you got left in Berlin?

I'm here till tomorrow- 7 days, 7 runs! Have got to know the place quite well but definitely areas I've not been in yet! Have loved every day- though I got my phone stolen today by some gypsy kids in a park.... Oh we'll, live and learn...

great 5k time nell. I've never done a 5k (race)- would like to try to see how fast I could be!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nell - yep, miles builing up quite nicely. Some good pace from you considering you still had the footy in your legs.

Rachel - niggle free thankfully. Rolling, stretches etc seem to be doing the trick. Before, I wasnt convinced these things worked but I've been converted.

Beers and pizzas in the Carter house tonight. 

• Enjoy your last day then Alibali- impressively consistent running whilst there! 

Great news Carter! 

• Some good running all around so far this weekend, I have a 16 mile LSR tomorrow to look forward to. Well when I say "16" let's be honest it could be any distance with my map reading skills image

I did my local Parkrun this morning and ran a second slower than my PB, I'm not cut out for fast runs, I think it's fair to say I struggled all the way around and would be shocked if I could make any significant inroads into my times. I did 21:38, I might have squeezed a PB if I'd bothered my arse to sprint finish but I actually thought it was much slower so I didn't bother.

There was a professional photographer there today so at least I got a couple of decent photos out of it.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Some great running going on here at the moment.

Carter - great to see the miles building back up. You must be really pleased.

Oirish - You may not be built for the fast stuff but that time is still very good. 16 miles. Now that is impressive. I have not run more than 10 since my marathon a few months back. Must be lazy.

Nell - A great run from you too considering the footie of the other evening.

AliBali - soulnds like it was a great week of running and a good holiday. Hopefully the incident with the phone has not taken the shine off too much. It could happen anywhere.

Ricky - Have you dried out yet. This weather is shocking for this time of year. HM for you during the week.

Rachel - sounds like you are going well too.

I could not create the time today to get out for a run. Taxi duties morninga nd afternoon being the order of the day. Am planning on getting out tomorrow. May go quite early if I wake up as once again it will be a little busy with the kids.

Keep up the good running. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Rachel...lol, well I struggled a bit this morning. 6.5 miles and it was really quite hot in the sun..came in on 47 minutes. Slowed down the last couple of miles as I could feel the pesky IT Band acting up on the left knee.

I think this week will be slower runs and strengthening along with plenty of stretching and rolling. Really hoping I do not end up back to the same stage as I was last January!

You seem to be doing great Carter, I will hopefully be back there with you soon ;0)

I am envious of you getting a run in every day on your holiday AliBali, I don't think I would get away with that, lol!

Hi Carl, are you going for the 55-70 mile plan? Not sure I could cope or fit that in..

• Goodness me that was a bit humid here this morning. I came back from my LSR this morning and after feeling a bit tired in the last mile or two and eyes stinging with sweat i looked in the mirror to find myself caked in died white perspiration. I've read somewhere that this was a sign of a deficiency in something or other but cou;dn't remember what so taking no chances I ate as much food and water as I could manage for my Father's day sunday lunch.

In all seriousness if anyone knows whether this is a cause for concern please let me know. 

Anyhoo 15 miles in total, 8 cross country @ 8:53.

After last weeks half, this week has been a bit of a baptism after some indifferent running post marathon. I am back in the swing of things properly now and all I know is I am ready for my rest day tomorrow.

I hope everyone's weekend running has gone well.

I get that quite regularly oirish, covered in dried salt after long runs in hot weather.  I think it's just one of these things some people get and some don't so much.  I've never been worried about it.

•  

Oirish - great LSR - particularly impressive pace with more than half of it being off road! I get the white stuff too- the only deficiency I put it down to is lack of brain cells - running ourselves ragged over stupid distances in stupid temperatures and all of that crazy stuff! Like AliBali I've never though much about it however it does highlight the importance of taking on electrolytes etc on a long run - particularly in the heat.

So after my Fathers day meal out with the family this evening I headed out for 7 miles - belly suitably laden from filling my boots with the establishments "steak sandwich special".... 1st mile warm up 9mml pace followed by 5 miles at an avg pace of 7.48 with a cool down @ 8.30 pace.  

Ran quite a hilly route in preparation for what is quite a hilly second half in Wednesday evenings HM.

Lisburn HM profile:

/members/images/719298/Gallery/Lisburn_Half_Profile_Capture_0.JPG

Given my current level of fitness, the difficulty of this route and how hard fought my 1:43.59 was in (the much flatter) Larne last weekend I feel I will really struggle to go sub 1:45 image

Plan to rest up for the next two days before the race..... off to watch the Golf now image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - great run from you today considering you had just stuffed yourself.

Oirish - another great run from you and as the others say it is noting to worry about. Just make sure you take on electrolytes in hot weather to replace the lost salt.

Nell - only planning on doing the 55 mile plan as I could not fit anything else in to be honest. Will probably adjust it slightly and add a few miles.

An eventful day in the Carl D household today.

Mrs D went out early and brought back nice fresh croissants so we enjoyed a nice Fathers Day brekkie.

Took the eldest to footie training and attended to a few jobs.

Then set out on what should have been a 45 minute drive to take the eldest to a footie tournament. It took 1 hour 15 mins to get there and he was like a lunatic in the back of teh car.

36 teams of u9's.

Their regular keeper did not show but they got through to the semi's and lost on penalties. Mine was in goal for this match and it was hard to watch him in bits afterwards. Once I had bought him an ice cream and reminded him that the goal he scored was the best goal that his team got he seemed happier.

Got home and the plan was to go for my longish run.

However my middle one was a little sensitive as she had fallen awkwardly when climbing on the monkey bars in the park.

Mrs D said that she was more shocked and that she thought it was a sprain.

After an hour or so I decided that it needed a trip to casualty. Mrs D took her and I quickly forgot about my run.

X-ray is done and just got a message to say that she is having a cast put on. Not a bad break just a chip on the bone but enough for a cast.

it is her left arm and as she is left handed this will be interesting to manage.

Certainly has been an interesting Fathers day.

Now I off to watch the rest of te gold while I wait for them to come home .....

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - glad to hear the little one is ok.

Ali - 7 runs in 7 days whilst on holiday, impressive stuff because a) my missus wouldnt let me get away with that and b) I doubt I would want to do so much when on holiday to be honest. Good on you though.

Nell - how did the longer run go yesterday ?

Oirish - stinging eyes; I find vasalene on the eye lids cures this. Not sure about the white stuff though, maybe it's salt youre losing ?

Ricky - lets hope you can perform well on Wednesday. We've seen it on this thread before where we thought we werent well prepared but turned in a good performance. Be confident when you are on the start line and you may well get a good time.

A 20 mile gentle cycle with Mrs C yesterday along the Trans Pennine Trail. She is getting well into the cycling now and we are going a bit further each week on our 'long' rides. No hills as yet but I will slowly introduce them to her. She was aching a lot yesterday so I think is starting to get an understanding of what marathon training can be like. My original plan was to go for my LSR on Saturday, bike ride on Sunday then a recovery run in the evenings but I think that might be a bit too much for me at the moment so I have changed round my training plan so I can fit it all in. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, Run yesterday went ok'ish. Ended up running 6.5 miles at 47 mins. Started to feel the left knee give out with IT Band last mile or two. So I took the pace down and it was not so bad. I went out with my son on our bikes later and it didn't feel too bad although you know what it is like, you become a bit of a hypochondriac thinking you can feel a twinge here and there :0|

Not running today, going to try and get down to the gym and do some strengthening exercises. I do not want to go back to where I was last January!

I will just run mainly recovery runs this week so as not to aggravate the ITB, and get back to the stretching and ice treatment. Fingers crossed, nice to see you are getting back to some good miles Carter...

Hi Carl, what a day! Glad things got sorted out ok in the end.

Enjoy the pre-race rest Ricky...

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Question for the group - As you know, I started training for Manchester in January and in the 3 months up to my injury I had built a reasonable base. Then I had a few weeks out but am back in the groove again now. I'm into week 3 of my P&D training plan for Chester which calls for a 14 mile MLR at the weekend. However, I feel I am slightly ahead of that; my 15 miles last Saturday felt very comfortable. So, should I stick to the training plan (even though I'm already slightly ahead of that already in terms of my long run) or would it be ok if I went for 18 miles on Saturday ? I have taken my comeback very steadily and increased slowly each time and I'm feeling good but I dont want to push too much and risk injury. For Manchester, I felt that I struggled a little on my long runs so if I can get some extra miles in the legs this time round I think that would benefit me. What are your thoughts ?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl - I hope your daughter bounces back soon!

Carter - I'm no expert but if you feel you could do the 18 miles I would do it, especially as you did 15 on Saturday.  Is there a way you can do the last few miles on a loop near your house, so you can go back home a bit earlier if you feel you should?  Would the 18 miles take you over the "no more than 10% increase in mileage per week" per rule?  I am presuming not, so I'd go for the 18-miler if I felt able to.

I've got Torbay Half this weekend, so this week is a reduced mileage week for me.  I am feeling pretty good and I expect I'll do 3x5-6 mile sessions slowly.  I may go and do a parkrun (slowly!) the day before the Half just as a gentle trot out, but we'll see.

Speaking of parkruns, I got myself along to my second one in 2 weeks on Saturday and I must say I think I'm getting hooked.  It was great as my wife went along too after hearing me going on about it.  She is mainly a gym goer and tends to do just two races a year (Torbay Half & Torbay 10K) as she doesn't really like the racing environment, but she absolutely loved the parkrun and the whole set up.  I can see me and her attending them fairly regularly.  It would be great if there was one a bit nearer to me, and I've emailed parkrun asking if they have any plans to get one set up nearer to my location.  There are a few possible areas where I think they could work well (loos and parking available) so I'm looking forward to hearing what they say about that.

Regarding the Torbay Half itself, I would be really happy with anything near 1:45 (a quick reminder that my PB is 1:42) but we'll see how it goes on the day.  It is an "A-race" for me as it is the race that I've done the most times, with this one being the 5th time I've ran it.  I struggled around in over 2hrs last year and my "course record" is 1:55 so I'm hoping I'll beat both of those times!  My sister-in-law is doing it, so that's an added incentive to try and do well....

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter

I was about the same training for Edinburgh at about that stage in my training and before the big mile long runs I was adding a mile or two on top of the long run exactly the same way Big_G  described. I have a loop just after the end of my road which can take me 2 or 3 miles  over. If I felt up to it I would carry on. Once I got into the thick of training and the big miles I took a left back home...lol!

Hope it isn't too warm down there in Torbay this weekend Big_G. Nice place for a run, I have had some nice holidays down that way as man and boy. I would imagine the course is a bit undulating?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nell - yes, the course is undulating.  Basically, it's 2 laps of Paignton-Torquay and back, so in total there are four hills.

I just went out for a 6-miler and it was very humid!  Not pleasant at all.

Ricky- super impressed you managed to make yourself go out for a run after Father's Day Dinner!

Carl- Hope both the kids are feeling a lot more chipper now.

carter- I like running on holiday because my partner works very hard and early shifts most of the time, so when on holiday he loves a good lie in.  Whereas I rise earlier so use the time for a run!  Also, my working life doesn't allow for so much leisurely running so I take joy in having the time on holiday!  I have often thought about starting cycling- my partner has a bike.  But then I think 'you barely have time to run, don't add something else into the mix!'

Nell- recovery runs sound like the right plan for you this week I think!

Big G- good luck for the half.  Imagine a nice place to run.

Well I clocked up over 5 hours running in Berlin last week and I think about 35 miles (don't have a garmin and couldn't track so accurately routes there).  Pretty happy as it felt so relaxed too, no stress or 'I can't be bothered feeling', just every day a beautiful run (mostly) in the sun, enjoying a new place and some beautiful scenery too (lovely parks and riverside trails).

Today is my first rest day in a while and tomorrow back to the gym I think after work for a treadmill run, weights, and practice session for an exam I have at the weekend (in addition to my job in retail, I'm also currently training to be a fitness instructor...though I wouldn't recommend taking much instruction from me yet! image )

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ali - you deserve a rest after the week you have had. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself too which is what it's all about.

Big_G - humid ? No, you will have to explain what that means to us northerners ! 

Nell - you take it easy and make sure you dont damage that ITB again.

Tempo run for me tonight. The plan was to run the same course and target time as last week, 8 miles with 3 @ LT of 7:30 - 8:00. Last week was a struggle but tonight was much better. I managed the 3 at an average of 7:34 (7:34, 7:40 & 7:25). Nice and consistant with a bit more in the tank as well. Good progress

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Big_G, Yes my memory of the terrain is a bit more than undulating...lol! Hope all goes well anyway...I'm with Carter on the humid subject!

Hi AliBali, sounds as though you have the holiday morning runs sorted. I love getting up early and out for a run on holiday. Problem is I usually wake everyone up and get pelters on my return!

Hi Carter, yes I just hope we are not going in separate directions! Recovery runs and strengthening is the order of this week. Will let you know how I get on.

Now off to clear up after the kids, that's some conditioning workout!!

• Carl - busy day yesterday, phew! hope the little un is ok - she will probably be delighted to have an excuse not to do homeworks etc!... and then there's all the autographing & doodling on the cast which is fun too.... the glass is half full!

Carter - plans need to flexible so if you feel a little ahead of things re longer runs I would go ahead. I pushed my spring marathon plan a little further in terms of distance with no ill effects. Great LT run tonight - every time I read a training run report from you it is getting closer to what they used to sound like back in Feb/March!

Big G - your track record @ Torbay is weirdly almost identical to mine for Lisburn HM on Wednesday i.e. it was my first race upon returning to running this time last year and I struggled home in 2:06..... prior to that my "course record" was 1:56 when I ran it once before back in 2005. So similar to you I am fairly confident I will better both of those! (touch wood/everything crossed)

AliBali - yes wasn't that pleasant running last night on a stomach full Irish Prime Beef! Fitness Instructor eh?! Go you! Very impressive - do we get your cyber advice F.O.C.? image

Just a bit of stretching today for me and a bit of "thwacking" & "thumping" at the driving range this evening.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nell - as you know, rollering and stretching is the order of the day. 

Ricky - its been a while since I was thwacking and thumping. Yes, I'm getting somewhere near my Feb/March form and its a lot quicker than I was expecting. Elsewhere other people have said I should follow the plan but I'm thinking I might add a couple on and try and get a bit ahead of the game. Cheers for the advice. Have you settled on your strategy for Wednesday now ?

Ricky- advice for any who would wish it from me will be definitely free of charge image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ricky - that is strange regarding our similar experiences regarding our next races!  I will be disappointed if I don't at least get a "course record" for me, but if I don't there will undoubtedly be a good reason.  

Getting my excuses in early, but if it's too hot/muggy I'll reassess my race strategy on the morning of the event.

I'm looking ahead to the Dartmoor Vale marathon in October, which is 18 weeks away so this week is effectively the first week of training for that event.  I'm still formulating my plan, but hoping to build up to 50-ish miles a week off of 5 sessions a week for it.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I was due a recovery run at lunchtime but I had a sh1te morning at work and my project manager really p1ssed me off. As a result the recovery run turned into another LT/tempo run of 4 miles : 8:20, 7:22, 7:14 and 7:02 with a mile cool down. My average HR for the 4 miles was pretty much the saqme as last night's run despite running at least 30 seconds per mile quicker

• Carter, you are running very fast there...I may feel a teeny bit threatened!!