Ironman 70.3 2013

Anyone else out there doing the 70.3 next year.  I've signed up as part of my bid to become an Ironman before I'm 40 next year.  At the moment I'm the only one of my training group who's comitted and signed up so any other support would be very welcome.  Any help in getting motivated very much welcome.image

Comments

• Which one? There are lots of 70.3 races.

• Can’t decide if I should be supportive or honest? I’ll start with supportive and then you can decide if you want to stop at that.

I had the same ‘mid-life’ crisis moment back in 2010. Decided to do an Ironman before I was 40 (2012) and started with Wimbleball 70.3 as a warm up in 20111 with the aim of doing the full distance the year after. I spent plenty of time training up (5k was a struggle at first). Running times came down, pb’s all over the place, swimming in ow a true love for life, even managed to ride the road bike without falling off every time. Anyway 25lbs lighter than when I started and a heck of a lot fitter I roll up at Wimbleball. It was a great experience and I recommend it to anyone – good luck and I’m sure you will be fine too.

Stop here if you don’t want the honest bit...

So there I am on the start line, after two nights in a wet tent feeling tired and cold about to jump in a muddy lake with 100s of others. I survive the swim, make it to the bike and then head off on the first lap overtaking people, this is easy. Then the second lap arrives, by now I am looking forwards to the hills as I am so slow this is the only point where I actually warm up. I stop to avoid being sick, take another gel (god I hate those things), then try to finish the bike leg. 10 miles to go and a lady casually cycles past chatting as she goes. The end of the bike and now I only have a half marathon to go. Bananas, coke, chocolate flavour caffeinated gels, anything will do now and I feel ok – until I get to the big hill. My slow plod turns into a walk (still can’t listen to ‘everybodys shuffling’ song without remembering this). With a run, walk strategy, now my only aim is getting to the finish alive – I give myself a 50/50 chance and carry on. I make it in 6:49, well outside the world age group championship time I had hoped for. Knackered, disappointed, brought back down to earth I decide never again and promptly bin the Ironman mid life crisis dream I had.

Footnote...

And now a year onwards, with the 40th just around the corner I wear my 70.3 finishers t-shirt with pride, have far more respect for the distance and will actually be signing up for at least another 70.3 in 2013, maybe even Challenge Henley full distance. Don’t underestimate the challenge, and don’t underestimate the minds ability to fool you into thinking something is a good idea (again)!

• Rob

You're post ends beautifully with "Don’t underestimate the challenge, and don’t underestimate the minds ability to fool you into thinking something is a good idea (again)!"
    This reminds me of something my wife said, and something my mother said. They couldn't understand why any woman ever gave birth to a second child. Needless to say, that both did have more than just one.

That was a great report, and we have all had those days when our aspiration exceeds our ability. The key is endurance training. Don't underestimate that. Miles, miles, miles.

Anyway, I'd better start being serious about 2013. It seems that this tri stuff needs tons of forward planning (not my forte).

• Hi TF,

I'll be out there at a 70.3 (somewhere) in 2013, though I'm not sure as yet.  I'm working on building the base across the three disciplines, and have a poster on my wall at home with a little cut out cyclist, swimmer and runner to indicate how close I am to completing training runs at full distance for all three. 

Hope you enjoy the long, hard road - particularly on these lovely *cough* summer days where you can really maximise your training opportunities!

-AD

• If you already need help getting motivated, are you sure you've signed-up to the right challenge?

(Takes good hard look at self in mirror for giving negative feedback)

Motivation is typically high at the point of sign-up, and wobbles from time to time as the reality of effort, sacrifice and a lack of understanding from your peer group puts metaphorical carpet tacks on your road. If you ain't busting with energy now...... image

• Blisters,

What can I say? Older and wiser - hmmm, only one is guaranteed. (I still think 'free running' is one of those sports that I will get around to!)

• Interesting an honest - I'm not worried about my motivation just wanted to see if there were other pople out there who were taking part and wanted to share training etc. I'm under no illusions what a bugger it's going to be but I know that when it comes down to this sort of thing I'm bloody stubborn once I've decided to do it.

Just to put into perspective I'm not quite in mid life crisis territory yet, the ironman is just the next part of the journey

Last year cycled coast to coast, did the Manchester marathon, several halves, the Salford mile swim and Buxton sprint so far this year. Although this actually might qualify for crisis on reflection image
  • I'm tempted by Antwerp 70.3 (it's a pending homework) and maybe Vichy half if I decide not to go IM next year and go for 2014 to come back to the full distance.

• pkiM

There's no way at the moment I'd be able to blag a foreign 'holiday' into the equation at the moment.  I'm going to need at least a couple of years to persuade my wife that she really would like to watch me do a race on foreign shores! image

• Bala middle distance is very nice but be prepared for hills.

Quite some people here have done that one so lots of feedback on that one is available.

• Trundle, I did wimbleball 2011 as my first journey up from a single standard distance and lots of sprints. The camping was wet , and I remember feeling cold at one stage on the bike, BUT , I had a fantastic time , did 7 42  as I am not a runner , and loved it.

It's like being abroad (but cheaper) with no cell phone coverage , no internet and nothing to do but soak up the atmostphere, would definitley recomend it and will be doing it in 2013 along with another one at the season end at Newby Hall 70.3

• There are loads of other middle distance races around, many of which are easier to get to and not as difficult a course as wimbalbalwbleball

have a look at the BTF events page.....
  • Look forward to seeing you there citizen, any thoughts on a training plan for over the winter? There's so many about but would like some advice from someone who's done the course.

O.range - I'm a sucker for jumping in both feet first, quite looking forward to the idea of a bit of an adventure too.
  • Hills - do lot's of hills - bike and run.

Plenty of bike miles (that was my shortfall) and keep it balanced as the swim is obviously relatively short compared to the bike leg. Also do some trail running as the run course has quite a few bits of path/ grass, rather than all road, as it is around the lake. I could bore you with detail, but most plans are similar so pick one you will be able to follow based on your ability and ambition/ commitment.

• Rob Fortunately there are loads of hills within striking distance, we used to put a load in before doing the coast to coast. Painful but necessary.
  • trundle , Do some hills , 14% is the steepest so I found a 14% and gave it a few goes! Psychologically that was the big point for me , quite a few walked on the bike on the first lap, so I was encouraged to stay on the bike and got a big boost . About 50 people failed to make the bike cut off. I am not a runner and suffered on the hilly run though it is VERY pretty and takes the pain away. Ran the big hill on the first lap but was forced to walk on 2 and 3!  As far as training goes I started logging my hours, writing it down really helped. I am convinced that completing a half or full is all about the  bike ie giving yourself plenty on time for the run on the IM and making the cut off at wimbleball!  I am currently on Week 2 of 48 leading up to Outlaw 2013 with Wimbleball on the way, I just do my own thing with 10-12 hours a week ( some weeks I do 2 if ill or on holiday) . Mostly bike ( 65%) and stretching /weights (15%) and swim (20%) . I only run in races as I have bad knees so the run is always exciting! I hope to up the swim % at the expense of the bike for cardio benefits over the coming winter....

• Also looking at the half distance for 2013 as I am now finished with the full IM distance after a hip operation. Like Pkim, thinking about Antwerp and/or Challenge Vichy, although Challenge Kraichgau is virtually on my doorstep. But I've done that one before.

• great report Rob, nice honest perspective.  I've entered Wimbleball 2013 as a first dabble in the world of triathlon. I've done 43 (I think) marathons/ultras, used to swim loads and cycle quite a bit, so hope I can put it all together .....  loving the idea of a new challenge though .... 

• Managed to drag my backside round 50 miles on the bike and up the Cat and Fiddle for the first time. I suspect I may well become very well acquainted with that particular road.
  • never done it, nice one!

• Quality ride lots of good views until you hit the cloud lineimage only downer was that the pub didn't open until 11am and we got there at 10:30 so no brew - gutted. This was a point my mate who had ridden it before failed to mention to me!
  • Going out today with a few friends with new bikes, factor 50 in September, loving it , Standard distance in Leeds on what should be the best day of the summer at the weekend

• Just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd say hello! Yep I'll be 70.3 next year with a view to qualifying for WC. Qualified this year in Antwerp but couldn't afford to get to Vegas so will target next year. Unfortunately Antwerp lost their WTC license so there will be no repeat for 2013. I'm looking at wimbleball and Pays d'aix at the moment.

I've done a few IM full events, and whilst they are great fun, they take up a shed load of training. 70.3 is a great distance and very doable for anyone of marathon fitness. One tip is get on the bike often, it's the stronger cyclists who tend to be able to run fast afterwards. Good luck with all the training, look forward to hearing how it goes.

Cheers
  • I'll be at wimbleball next year. Be my 1st 70.3 and only done 2 sprint tri's slowly! Scared scared but strangely excited too image

Just looking at a full one at end of season so either challenge Henley or IM Wales.. Can't decide between them? Must be mad but think I might as well take the plunge and make 2013 a big year image
  • wimbleball is something else!, that is very pretty and a great day, see you there...

• Im Wales has a killer bike course
  • Hi! Just cued in after a couple of stupidly busy 'holiday weeks' read your report and smiled I am SOOOO at the very beginning (thanks for the warning - have had two babies so aerobic breathing / heart rate / pain threshold all ready to go!).

Doing my first 70.3 this yr and really researched lots... mostly trying to make summer hols and work / family all fit with training... have plumped for 'Sundowner' for following reasons: mid Sept means peak training in summer hols, 1pm start and race into evening therefore no absolute need to stay over (cost) and no stupid o'clock dragging family out... feel really embarrassed now ;sounds very naff but the 'idea' really works for me (please don't anyone tell me it's a load of pants). I have no proper advice but find one that grabs your heart... like buying a house HA! Move your training furniture in mentally and if it fits go!

Am 'trialling' 4 wks of a plan before I start for real to rehearse 5am runs and 6am swims. must say I'm loving it (may feel very different at 5:10 in the morning). Completley smitten by Matt F's HUGE book and copying bits down onto post it notes ahhh! 

• I have entered two Half-IM races this year, one on 23 June and the 2nd one Challenge Vichy on 1 September. Odd as it may seem, these will be my first 70.3 races after 8 full IMs, looking forward to something different as I can no longer run marathons. Happy racing everyone!

• So Thunder & et el...

How did you do at IM 70.3 at Lake Wimbleball?

I went to support two friends compete in their first IM 70.3 and, having been encouraged by one of them just one year ago to do my first marathon ( I never did sports or anything remotely physical aside from lifting the remote control) I have completed two in 7 months!  Seeing everyone, friends included, compete and complete these immense challenge it has really got my juices flowing.  I want to commit to it next year but scared to say yes I will do it!  (I can't swim so would have a real challenge in itself)

I hope you all completed yesterday and got the times that you wanted, not only the worlds toughest IM 70.3 but made worse by the weather!!

• Completed , JUST, may have been a bit too relaxed about the bike leg then the run leg did not go well, race report to follow when I find time. It was a really tough day weather wise and well done to all who attempted. Shout out to Sumo Sue!  great to talk to you