Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Bob - I do actually do a bit of both, but in the past 2 or 3 years I seem to be used by the captain predominantly as a bowler (medium pace inswingers). Might be psychological but I have already noticed that since taking up running I am noticeably less knackered after completing a longer spell (8 overs last week up the hill), so hopefully it might have the knock-on effect of improving my cricket too image

How about you?

• Options

Duck, those 300s are great. I can't see sub-54 will be a problem for you. How comes you're doing a 600 TT before the 100? Surely you won't race as well with that in your legs. Yes, that last 200 of my session was almost flat out. Pretty happy to run that at the end of a hard lactic session though.

To answer your question, things were going very well until I got ill. 17:20 5k in April, 4:48 mile at the start of May, 02:08.8 in the middle of May - all early season PBs. As an example of how bad it is, before getting ill my HR/pace ratio was 132/7:55 and now it's 147/8:15

Bob, I think threshold work is absolutely essential to getting your best 5k/10k time. I also think it's important to push it up from below, so in your case, 10kp would be too fast (although obviously a decent training session). 3 x 1 mile with 1' recovery or just 20' is a great session. These sessions are fairly easy to recovery from as well.

CB, is 12 miles your long run? How did the chocolate pancakes help with fuelling you?

Duck, Bob, CB, Just to explain - my reasoning for thinking of quitting the season is not emotional - it's just that there are only 8 weeks left and if I can't get the training in I know it's just going to be a frustrating struggle to underperform. It would make more sense to rest for a few weeks and let the injury completely heal and start thinking about next year. It's possible I'll suddenly start feeling better though (it has happened before), so I am going to give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. Next year, I'm definitely going to plan on peaking in early June next year rather than late July - it will give me some breathing room if something like this comes up again

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sorry, just passing through in between meetings-

Simon- lactate threshold pace- My logic is that running tempo's at the 10k pace will best equip me for my current goal of nailing down the 10k? The mcmillan 8 week 10k programme gets you doing the tempo intervals at desired 10k pace. Surely if i am running say 10-15 seconds slower than 10k pace i am not working hard enough to push that particular threshold?

• Options

DT19 I will let Simon answer that one. At the moment I'm running parkruns at somewhere between 10k and LT pace. Soon I'll want to increase the length of the tempo runs so will probably start with 5 miles at MP and build to 6 miles at HMP and 10 miles at MP. I would aim to hit a variety of tempo paces in training, from 10k pace up to MP. If you're doing LT pace once a week and some sub 10k pace work once a week they should even out for a 10k race (maybe!!)

Simon 12 miles is my long run at the moment. I don't have chocolate pancakes, it's too close to run time, but Little Miss CB enjoys them after her run round the park.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

CB- I have seen on McMillan what it says my LT pace is but it seems really light for a quality session. Yes I do a faster interval session every week as well. I did the other night a tempo pace pyramid. did 1 mile at mp, 1 mile at hmp, 1 at 10kpace, 1 at10k pace, 1 at hm pace, 1 at mp. It was a decent hard session. That was on the treadmill so easier to go a bit faster. Hopefully that sort of thing was not a complete waste of time.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

DT19 - Sounds like a useful pyramid session. I agree with CB about training at various tempos. According to training specificity I'm pretty sure race pace is a good pace to train at for any distance, but I also think that it depends how well developed your fitness is. If your lactate threshold in particular is under-developed, you might benefit more from pushing it up from below as Simon says, in a similar way that someone with an under-developed aerobic system would do well to increase the volume of easy running before moving on to tempo sessions. This might be preferable to trying to hit 10k pace for a session, finding it too hard, and form becoming ragged, etc.  OR you do your 10k pace intervals and they're not challenging enough; which probably means your 10k form is better than you think.  I'm rambling now...

Simon - How about a different race focus, whilst still giving it a proper bit of welly?  Scrap the track stuff and mix up some 10k's and off-road??  Still gives you good motivation to stay in shape and push threshold fitness, which will give you a good fitness base to sharpen from when you're back on track.

Thanks for all the comments. I got back into double figures with a 10 miler on Saturday (7:27/m in biblical rain!) and went cerrazy with a double today - lunchtime spin class and 7.1M @ 7:20/m this evening.  I still feel the shoulder getting a tad more uncomfortable as the run goes on, arm-swing still a little restricted, but otherwise feel like I'm getting back to it. I'll probably throw in a few hills this week as I bring the mileage back up, as this seems a more comfortable way of adding back in some quality compared to actually trying to run quickly.  We're getting there.  image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Phil-Thanks, I suppose the science of running, like nutrition, has many theories and different people will have a different view and what works for one might not work as well for another.

That pyramid, outside racing, I don't think I have ran at those paces for that length of time. Whilst I was tired on the way back down and grateful for the drop from 10k pace, I did not feel slaughtered which I suppose is the point.

good training today. I managed a double as well, 3 miles at lunchtime and 5.5 this evening, all at easy pace.

• Options

Simon - got you beat. Mine is 149 for 10.33 pace! 

Max 193. No, my HRM is fine as have double checked it by pulse and it isn't a one off. I can measure 80% of maxHR coming gently *down* a hill.

I've been measuring it for weeks now out of interest. No wonder I am rubbish these days.

It totally sucks.

I hope you can salvage something.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Kelly – Hope you manage to get to the bottom of things, very frustrating for you...You looked like you were running strongly on the final lap of the mile yesterday.

Phil – Good to see you back. Have you got any targets or races coming up or is just a case of getting the training back up first?

Simon – It’s a shame given the season started out so promisingly for you. If you decide to pack in this season what will your training look like?

5.17 for the mile for me last night. Not sure why it was so slow but the legs weren’t playing ball. Finished feeling like I could have kept going for a couple more laps but whenever I tried to pick up the pace I didn’t seem to be able to. No excuses as it was decent conditions and there was at least 1 guy around my target who I could have chased if I’d been able to. Enjoyed the experience as a one off and got chatting to some nice guys from the club I want to join. Not sure I’d rush back to do another middle distance race though. Too much hanging about and then when you finally get going its all over so quickly. I’d much rather slog through a 10K!

• Options

DT, I just believe (based on what I've read and my personal experience) that LT is best raised by training at or below that intensity.

And raising LT will help with your (faster than LT) 10k pace because, by definition, by raising LT you delay lactate accumulation until you're running at a faster pace than previously.

Of course, if you're training for a 10k, then doing some running at 10k pace is very important. But I still don't think it's best for training LT.

If you find the pace too easy, try 2 x ( 3 x 1 mile; 1' recovery); 15' recovery, with the mile reps run at threshold. If you don't find that a tough session, then I'd say the pace estimate is wrong.

Phil, unfortunately I can't really get all that excited about road running, although it'd be preferable to just starting base training for next year! I was also thinking about maybe training towards an indoor track season in Jan/Feb. Good to see you're getting back into the swing.

Kelly, I've been thinking about dumping the HRM for a little while since I am obsessing over it a bit at the moment. It is a very accurate indicator of fitness though.

Mr V, it sounds like you would just need a few 1500-paced session to get shifting a bit more. I remember it being a difficult pace to get into the rhythm of when I first started MD training. If I packed things in, I'd just move back into base training: start with a couple of weeks complete rest, then a month of building mileage and strength before starting marathon-style training.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Simon- Thanks for that. I am planning a LT session Thursday so will try that. Based on my recent park run my LT pace on mcmillan is 6.45 m/m, albeit i was not 100% then so may take it as 6.40 which is essentially HM pace for me.

• Options

Double of sorts today. 7m with 4x4 min (3min rest) this morning. Hit the paces I wanted (just!) and my first speed session wearing Hattoris so I was happy.

Then the staff 4x100 relay at sports day. I managed a 1.5m warm up then some strides, stretching etc but they were running 30 mins late so struggling by the start! I had the first leg and came through in first place (just!) We held the lead until 250m, and came second by about 6m. Managed to do enough to get respect from the kids image

Sports day was good, with a few outstanding displays of talent. One year 7 girl in the 800m who won by a good 200m, and a couple of girls in the year 9 800m whose running form was absolutely beautiful to watch.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well I've taken on board the advice on this thread and, having bought a cheap running watch, set out for a 5km easy paced run tonight and ....... managed to run it at the pace I intended in accordance with the training pace calculator!

Admittedly I was constantly concentrating on pace and telling myself to slow down (especially during the first half of the run) so it felt like hard work mentally, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it and not have to think about it so much the more I do it.

Rest day tomorrow and then a tempo session on Thursday and another easy run on Friday image

• Options

Andrew - Sounds good. Very much an opening batsman myself. Think a poor man's Geoff Boycott or Chris Tavare on Mogadon and you're about there with my scoring rate! image Haven't bowled in a competitive game for some years now...and for good reason! It was a long knock last summer that half killed me that prompted me to get fit in fact and eventually take up the running in November. Well done with the pace control today - it will get easier!

Simon - Indeed. LT tempos are definitely something I intend to concentrate on in July, though will get 3 miles in this Thursday or Friday as a final quality session before next Tuesday's 10k race. Can understand your frustration with the illness you're struggling from, but hope you see an improvement before you bin what was promising to be an excellent season for you.

DT - Blimey. Tough sounding pyramid session that!

Phil - Good to see you getting back into some proper running. Is that 10k'er you mentioned still on the agenda or does it come too soon?

Kelly - image Sorry you're still having a bad time of it. 

Mr V - looks a half decent time to me, but as Simon suggests, something a bit more specific to the distance required to really do yourself justice perhaps?

CB - WTF is Hattoris?! Nice double though, excellent to see you attacking a proper quality session in training again at last. image

A double for me in some ways today too, 6 and a half miles, including 4 (2x2) at 10k target pace this morning, and then another 6 miles plus hilly walking this afternoon.

Target was 6:45 mile pace for the 2 x 2 miles with 4 or 5 minutes jogged recovery. Was difficult to judge pace on undulating ground and a mixture of (longish) grass and pavements so came in at 6:36, 6:41, (4:28) 6:44, 6:41. Average of just over 6:40 pace for the 4 quicker miles. Hard work, but would like to have done at least one more mile after a similar recovery, but felt it was a bit too close to race day for a real full on session like that. Indications remain promising for the race next week anyway. 

• Options

Another great session Bob. Hattoris are Saucony's zero drop shoes. It's taken me a while to build up to being able to attack faster paces in them, I think my muscles had to adapt to the slightly different angle. The only problem now being that they're bright orange and tend to attract drunk people in the park!

• Options

Ah! Excuse my noobish ignorance, CB! Just googled them, and yes, they are minimalist, aye caramba. Colourful too. image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Blimey, some keen doubles going on!  I don't think I started running twice a day till I got up to about 60-70 mpw, and it's not happened many times since.

MrV/Bob - Yes I had a 10k scheduled for this coming weekend but it's far too soon.  I can't say I've got any real target races lined up at all, but the summer schedule should normally be so busy on the club front - Southern League 5,000m, Assembly League, whichever road races we try to fit either weekends or mid-week (Battersea Park, etc) it's just a little frustrating not being involved at the moment.  I'm taking some heart from last season's pattern of events; what with various colds and viruses I under-performed most of the summer but kept plugging away and hit my best form in September/October (just in time to clock a sub-16 in the club 5,000m champs). With the road relays coming up in September (we have a very good V40 team to challenge for the Southern title) and half an eye on an Autumn half (GER?) I'd really like to be back on proper form by then at least.

Just another spinning class today. Probably an easy run tomorrow and I'll try something longer, and possibly hilly, on Thursday.

• Options

Bob - working that middle teir aerobic system (if you imagine base endurance - threshold - vo2 max as a very basic aerobic 'teir') if really critical - it's easy to run the mileage and drill the interval workouts but lack that bit inbetween, and it will affect you in races - 5*800 in 3:00 can mean you can run 1.5-2M of a 5k at 18:40 pace, but not stressing that threshold area (by both working slightly below, at or above as Simon has mentioned) means the whole picture never really comes together well. 

Simon says it well when he mentions pushing it up from below - HMP or roughly 80 -90 minute race pace is good for this IMO. While 10kp stuff will help LT to a certain extent, if you wanted to run cruise intervals I'd progress them by pace over the session and average just under LT overall. So for example, 4*1M w/60s rec where you go 7:10-7:05-7:00-6:50 (based on a theoretical LT pace of 7:00/m exactly). DT's session too (MP/HMP/10k/10k/HMP/MP) is a good example.

Then of course there's progression runs which are probably my favorite. You could start by doing the above cruise session then progress it into 4M @ 7:10-7:05-7:00-6:50 over time (assuming your fitness stayed the same during that time, which it probably wouldn't so you would probably have to adjust somewhat). 

Simon, the 100s don't start until quite lateish, by the time they are finished I really don't want to be hanging around! Planning the 600 for about 2 hours before they start, I agree it'll impact performance but I don't see 100s as especially crucial - were it anything longer I would have considered the 600 after. 

Mr V, shame about the mile but it sounds like you have a strong aerobic system but not much in terms of lacic glycolytic stores. If you want me and Simon could expand on how to improve this.

cb - keep an eye on their names. Could be big in a few years!

Aah, Hattoris. Wanted a pair for a while. Got a pair of Brooks Puredrift last Monday which are great. I'm a bit of a shoe hoarder myself image

Watched the Beach 10k tonight. Mum ran 40'03, cs 52'42 in a decent headwind for long portions. Both happy. Good evening image

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Bob – Nice session. You are progressing really well at the moment.

Duck –Its funny as I feel I have less speed at the moment than I did when I first came back from injury. My worry in the mile was that I’d run a 60 something first lap but in reality I ran 75 and that felt plenty fast enough. I remember how easy doing a 63 and 65 rep was back in Portugal when I had zero fitness but I think I might even struggle to hit 63 flat out at the moment. Nice results there  btw image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Duck/Simon- Interesting stuff on the threshold training. There i a lot more scince involved in this than i thought!! I did quite a bit of reading on the topic last night and the general way of calculating this pace was either HMP or to do a 5k and if you are 15-19 mins, deduct 25-30 secs from your m/m pace, which essentially worked out at hmp for me. I lso read that the faster you are the more you deduct from your pace. Therefore if you are 20-24 mins the drop between your m/m pace to LT pce is less. The philosophy being that the faster you are the more dangerous it is in terms of injury to routinely push yourself at that pace.

I suppose where i struggle with the concept, still being relatively new to this not slaughtering myself approach, is i anticipate quality sessions should be pushing me to the edge. However, a session like simon suggested yesterday, whilst a good work out, would not leav me gagging! Having no read the science bit, i now get the principle though.

Phil- Just in terms of the double sessions, again from my reading, if you are just doing easy miles on a particular day then i have read it can be good to break them up say to 4 in am and 4 in pm as its loss toll on the body in one go, plus for me i have 24 hours to recover from 4 miles as opposed 8 miles before my club session.

CB- Sound slike som promising runners there, and good relay. Do they still do a dads race in school sports days?? I only ask as my son starts school next year.

Sounds like a good session there Bob. What are you doing about the club you trained with? Are you going back?

Andrewd, good to see you have taken on board the advice given, it took me a while to come to terms with it!

Talking of disregarding advice..... i am still carrying this cough. I have not had one in about 8 years so certainly never had one since i have been running. I decided to attend club intervals last night which was a disaster. By the end of the warm up it was like someone was standing on my chest. I decided just to run through at a steady pace which worked out ok in the end. Have plannd to hve another crack at this parkrun saturday, but very little point if i cant give it a good smash!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sorry, just re-read post, lots of typos- very lazyimage

• Options

DT we don't have a Dad's race, not sure about other schools. Some schools still do non competitive sports daysimage

We do have a number of girls whose names I'm marking. Fingers crossed that in Team GB for Rio will be 3 girls that I've taught.(400m, Swimming and Water Polo)

• Options

DT, I like Daniels' definition best, which is something like "the pace you could maintain for about an hour". That's HMP for elites, but it's more like 10 mile pace for me and you.

I do these runs by HR, which works really well for me. My average HR in both 10 mile races I've done was 185 (92.5% of max).

So, for your classic 20 minute threshold run I try and start around 175bpm and end aroung 180 bpm. That's less than my 10 mile average, but obviously heart rate climbs throughout the race and it matches quite closely what I experience in the first few miles.

"do a 5k and if you are 15-19 mins, deduct 25-30 secs from your m/m pace,"

That ends up being 6:00 - 6:05 per mile for me. Which is pretty much what I get when running to HR, so not a bad calculation for me at least.

"I lso read that the faster you are the more you deduct from your pace. Therefore if you are 20-24 mins the drop between your m/m pace to LT pce is less. The philosophy being that the faster you are the more dangerous it is in terms of injury to routinely push yourself at that pace"

I agree with the conclusion, but not the reasoning. The reason you should drop less from your 5k pace if you're slower is that slower people are racing 5k at closer to their lactate threshold. Remember, when thinking about physiological thresholds, it is *intensity* rather than pace that we should consider. Imagine an extreme example of a runner who takes an hour to complete a 5k - they would be running 5k at their lactate threshold, so would need to deduct zero seconds.

Please be careful with that cough and seek some medical advice. It's my understanding that you can do yourself damage training with certain types of illnesses.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Bob - I actually used to be an opening batsmen who batted quite slowly and only bowled occasionally, but in recent years my batting seems to have regressed and actually bowling is certainly now my strongest suit. Nowadays I would love the opportunity to play a longer innings where I could play myself in, but I always now seem to come in with only a few overs left and have to swing the bat and sacrifice my wicket in the search for quick runs! That's my excuse for my lousy recent batting average anyway!!image

DT - thanks - I am definitely keen to take on board as much advice as possibe! If nothing else so that I  can improve and then don't feel like such an interloper on this thread!

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Interesting read on threshold running guys. I think this might be a missing ingredient with my recent training so will look to rectify this over the coming few weeks. With a 10k a week Sunday what would be the best session to do for this with the time left? How about the 2 x ( 3 x 1 mile; 1' recovery); 15' recovery, with the mile reps run at threshold you recommend Simon? 

After the dodgy Parkrun on Saturday I managed to get out for an easy 10 on Sunday evening. Followed this up with a run with a friend whilst she was on her horse up Merthyr way yesterday...this was certainly one of the hardest run's I have done mentally speaking since the Brighton marathon with the last few starting and stopping due to passing traffic and uphill being particularly challenging...almost 14 miles in total which included some very steep uphill gradients and downhill decents in the heart of the valleys. Pacing was completely irrelevant and time on feet equated to about 2 hours 40 minutes! I technically did a double in keeping with the rest of you as I had to run back and forth to the train station on the way up to her as I left my phone at my parents resulting in about 15.25 miles in total yesterday! Weirdly my legs feel very bouncy today! The head cold which walloped me after Saturday's Parkrun seems to have gone although I did plenty of resting otherwise after having Monday and yesterday off work. Perhaps I was also just tired on the day after travelling back to Wales late on the Friday night.  

Excellent session by the looks Bob...that 2X2 miles at target 10k pace is one I have never personally tried...but would like to at some point! Indeed I am finding it extremely hard to keep up with my brother at the moment and avoided running with him whilst back in Wales! Do you have a target time for your upcoming 10k or are you keeping it to yourself for now? image

Looks like an enjoyable day CB and must be great to see some great potential talent on display at your school sports day!

Shame you didn't get the mile time you wanted Mr V - maybe you should have another crack at some point despite what you say? I can relate to what you say though in that it's over too quickly...as much as I enjoyed the Gosport Golden Mile, I had a similar sort of feeling!

Sorry to read that things are still up and down for you Kelly. Hope a return to form comes about soon!

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Quiet on here.

WJH – Yeah I would do another one if it’s convenient, just wouldn’t want to travel too far. Its borderline whether any sessions now will  increase your fitness for the race. It might be best to concentrate on a session practicing race pace.

Good news for me as I managed to get my job and a promotion to boost. Definite relief... celebrated last night with a session of 2X (5X 0.25m). 60 seconds recovery and 2 minutes between sets. Wind and undulating route always slows things done a bit but was still closer to 5K pace than intended 3K pace. I’m definitely going to make the effort to get down to some club sessions soon as I do feel like I need a group to really push the pace in training.  

• Options

Mr V - it's weird how MD works like that. Trust me 8 weeks of specific endurance stuff and 75s will feel MUCH easier. Back in April I was running 800s in low 2:2x and they felt about as hard as 2:15s are now. 

I think my big problem with miles have been I've been a bit scared to go off reasonably hard at the beginning. At the Union Street mile I went off quite hard from the start and ran really well. So I think often you just have to have a "fuck it" moment and go for it right from the word go. 

Good news about your job image

DT - don't forget if you are running 30 minutes for 5k, that pace is a lot closer to threshold (60 min pace, roughly) than someone running 15:00 5k is. So it makes sense that you would have to slow down less if you are a slower runner to run at threshold. 

As Simon says, 1 hour race pace is pretty much exactly threshold. Someone who runs 60:00 for 10k, and someone who runs 60:00 for a HM are both running at their threshold. It's just that the latter's is much quicker than the former's!

Found out yesterday there's a couple of 1500s on July 2nd at the track. So that's me sorted for July - a 1500, 800, 400 & 200 image and maybe a parkrun the 27th if I'm feeling especially sadistic.

• Options

Phil - Fair enough. Good that you're at least looking forward and planning how you will get yourself back into it again anyway.

Duck - and Simon - Thanks for those detailed explanations - very helpful. Has given me plenty of ideas to (re)incorporate the LT stuff into my training once the GP series is out of the way. Not really sure how the Progressive Tempo dropped out of my schedule really - was one of my favourites a few months ago. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure where LT pace is at the moment, but suspect it's somewhere around or just below 7:00 pace at this stage based on my last 'good' race at the end of May, and allowing for what seems to be, and feels like, a bit of progress since.

Decided therefore to progress the tempo I had planned for today. Aiming for 7:05/7:00/6:55. I suppose the final mile at least felt challenging enough, though the torrential rain probably accounted for some of that. Splits actually came out at 7:05/6:59/6:55 and I stuck on a fast finish of 0.1 miles to take it up to a full 5k of distance at tempo - completing the distance in a fraction over 21:30. Compares to my 5k PB of 20:57, and I can't even feel it in my legs now. Pleased with that. image

Mr V - Thanks. Great news about the job too - congratulations! Must be a massive relief to not have that hanging over you any longer.

DT - Yep, still in touch with them, though haven't been able to get down since. Will be joining them next week though, and just mulling over whether I run all 4 races of their GP series, or if I help out and marshall one of them. The membership secretary actually encouraged me to to take advantage of what may be the only opportunity to run all 4 races. Not quite decided yet though. Hope you get that cough of yours sorted soon - no parkruns!

Andrew - Aye. I like opening the batting for exactly the reason that it allows you to build an innings - if only I could remember how to actually convert good starts into big scores!

WJH - Nice man v horse training! And yep - very open about the target for the 10k next week. I'm after 42:00, which is the V40 Power of 10 standard. The lack of LT specific stuff aside, I don't think recent training could have gone any better. Given some decent conditions on the night, I'll be disappointed and have no excuses if I can't hit it as it's a fast, flat course. Wind could be a factor though, as it takes in the notorious rowing lake at Holme Pierrepont.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

wjh- looks like you did not get hit as bad  as I did with that cold.

Bob- Yes, run all 4. If you are still with them next year you will be expected to marshal one. Its the one down side of being in a club!!. Good session there. Sorry, when is this target 10k?

Mr v- well done on the job, was that some kind of internal restructuring or something.

Simon/Duck- Yes, have also read the 'pace you can handle for an hour' description.

Went to drs yesterday and she gave me some antibiotics and said to keep running but listen to my body. I think she knew I was the sort of guy that if she told to simply stop it wouldn't happen so best to find a compromise. Anyway, without the tabs kicking in I felt hugely better today and was on annual leave. Went to gym and did the LT session Simon suggested. Went to level 14.5 for it which is 4.07 km pace so about 6.36 mile which is my best est of 10 mile pace. I felt really strong and loose warming up as well. First 2 reps came out comfortable, 3rd one a bit tougher, then 15 mins interval and the last 3 were more of a slog. I was never at any point heavily out of breath however, though then I am not in a hm. I don't think the point of LT training is to feel like that. Ended up covering 10 miles which is a first on the tmill.

I am starting to feel like another crack at parkrun on Saturday is a possibility now given the improvement in chest in last 24 hours.

• Options

DT - The target 10k is next Tuesday evening. Is followed by a 5k on the Thursday, a 4 miler on the following Tuesday and then ends with a 5 miler on Thursday 4th July. And yes, you're probably right. Would be nice to chalk all four up at least once I guess. Not sure how the races will all impact on each other, but would be a good measure of progress if I could get all 4 races into my 5 RB point scorers, and give the handicap another shunt down.

Good session from you there, I'd earmarked that as one to have a crack at next month. Pleased to hear you're feeling better too. Just don't overdo it too soon, and set yourself back again!