Sub 3h15

Comments

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are off to a good start JD3. I would keep all the long runs slow at this point, and slowly build in some quality over the weeks. I find a slow 20 no problem for recovery.

Lurgy effects still hampering me, and I am sticking to plodding on all runs at the moment. Getting a bit irritable as i want to press on with the 10k training before moving back to focusing on an autumn marathon. Another set of tablets from the dr promises to finally rid me of an ear infection.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Blisters - Decent triathloning there - I thrash water to a foam more than swimming and my cycling ain't much better so am a bit off entering one myself

The 10k was billed as flat and fast but didn't feel like it was and having PO10'd those that finished around me realise it wasnt for many so feel a little bit more settled with the days efforts.

Turned up at venue nice and early feeling really dehydrated despite the two cups of tea, elderflower cordial and a bottle of isotonic stuff so grabbed some tap water and a coffee from the cafe(mistake nr 1) and with half an hour to go made mistake nr 2 of the day - Took a lucozade gel (they have never agreed with me) due to the lack of proper nourishment 48 hrs before. An ok warm up on a warm morning with usual ailments sending out warning signs, achilles tight, stomach pulled, but again, nothing new to worry about. Line up right at the front and charge off with the masses and pick up the first two lady runners and decide to stay with them, but notice running at 3.20 pace for first half k so start to drop off to get back to target pace of 3.39 (36.30) but even with the brakes on and shooting backwards still go through in 3.33. Pace at start of 2nd k is now 4.0x so now try to pick up back to 3.39 and the death march begins. Tummy grumbles start and generally feeling of naseau which will last all race descends.A very difficult 3.45 comes next but somehow manage to retake the lead female runner and her companion in that k which was a surprise. a 3.41 follows and I have started thinking about quitting as i feel like I am running a hard 5k and take a couple of brake step as have decided to stop but manage to talk myself around and get going again. 3.38  realise this 3.39 is no longer achievable so so settle on 3.42 average pace for a sub 37 time. First Lady (not that one) pulls along side and we make up the 15 or so metres to the next chap running ahead and all settle into a pace which is on target5k goes by at 3.42 which gives me 18.21. It is an out and back run and for some mad reason the drinks station is 8 -10m beyond the turn round point the turn round point but am so dehydrated and bilious that  I have to take a bottle and am now 20m behind the pair I was running with-next k comes with a 3.46 but have recovered the gap to be 4-5 m adrift. Feel dreadful and wanting to stop and at my aerobic capacity but the only 10 times round a track and 15 mins to go discussions pop up to try and bolster my way along. A difficult 3.43 precedes a stomach emptying image 3.48 and we are all struggling as I am on their shoulders again. AM outside 36.xx pace now but happy that a quick last k will bring it back and we chip the pace upto 3.42 and need a 3.36 to get under 37. The pair I am with put in a break but i am racing a clock, not them and they get a few seconds ahead of me, turn the corner with 200m to go, lap pace at 3.32 and am good to go - put a sprint in and don't notice the clock slip past 37.00 until 5 m away form line and look at watch which confirms the same. 37.03. Playground error of running to pace rather than time gives me 36.55 for 10k on my watch but 37.03 finish time. Now to say I was p*ssed off with myself would be understating it by some way.

I guess I had unrealistic expectations and given that my previous recent runs have been on the back of the marathon effort in low mileage weeks it is not surprising I was running freely and quickly. I have now vetured back into high 30 mpw territory with a couple of speed sessions so need to adapt to revised workload before it will translate into times. All in all I am alot happier today than I was yesterday at 10:37:03image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

A week late, but here are the photos from Tough Mudder Lorenzo. Some good ones at the start, some random ones of other people in the middle then some good ones at the end. Below is one taken on a mates phone (I'm the one with the marathon runner biceps!)

/members/images/521453/Gallery/photo_(2).JPG

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

4 days of total inactivity means I feel tired, bloated and egging for a run. No reason why i couldn't run, just lazy and drank far too much of the demon grape. Defo will be going for a run after work tonight.

Well done all the racers, notably Menn and Lorenzo.

Menn just read your report and it sounded like a painful run. Well done for sticking it out and it's still a quick time no matter what way you look at it.

Lorenzo - That's a good time and your PB is under threat if you can get some quality sessions in before your July race, 2.1 seconds per km is not a huge amount to find!

Gul - Hill sprints at that hour in the morning is beyond belief. Do you work irregular hours or just like really early morning runs?

Blisters - Well done on the half IM, how long have you been doing the tri distances/training . I am considering doing one in the future.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice work Blisters - good race strategy to let the others start too fast and overtake them at your leisureimage

Good 10Ks from Lorenzo and Mennania. That does sound rather too painful Mennania

I went for 'Total abs' this lunchtime at the gym.  I think they have been saving letters and the official name of the session was 'Total absolute pain for half an hour in the abdominal region" before they shortened the name of it. It hurt a lot and I was clock watching from 15 minutes in.  It was a group session but only one person (me) turned up so I actually had a 1-2-1 session with the coach which was very good. I'm sure it will do a lot of good so I'll be back.

• After 3 very long days working at the Download festival I have only been able to skim read back. Just to say - SJ - Eeeeeeew. And Le Chateau de ma Mere is awful. Really, truly awful. Even worse than La Gloire de mon Pere. Don't do it folks.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bike it - which marathon (or ultra) do you use as your qualifier for Comrades?   I'm thinking I'll have to do a qualifier next year if I want to do it in 2015. I don't think I'd want to leave it till London 2015 in case anything went wrong but London 2014 is too early. image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Don't think you need a qualifier Minni, other than a not hugely slow marathon. Might be wrong of course..!

BikeIt, funny post. The thought of a nowhere to hide pain-fest sounds a bit grim though

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Minni - I originally used last year's Comrades to get a C seeding.  Then I used my Abingdon result from 2012 to get a B seeding.  Most Comrades novices are generally doing a few slow marathons over the year as training anyway so it is relitively easy to get your qualifier in to guarentee your place at the start.  Probably I would suggest to run an Autumn marathon to bank your qualification.  Not everyone would race a marathon at full pace 6 weeks before Comrades anywayimage.  They are not so strict on it being an IAAF accredited event, etc, for international marathons so even a local marathon would be accepted.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ah right. I read it that it had to be an iaaf event. Thanks.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - thanks - didn't realise there was a film version.
    JD3 - which marathon are you training for?
    Mennania - good report - must have been very annoying, but that's still a great peformance.
    GM - sometimes a complete break does you good! As for me, I work normal office hours, but running early just suits me.
    Bike It - sounds life a horrid way to spend a lunchbreak, but should do some good.
    Speedy - I quite like Pagnol - very light and fluffy, but after reading McCarthy's Blood Meridian, I couldn't face going straight back to Zola's grim realism.
    Bagged another 10 slow miles this morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

5 plodtastic miles for me last night, lovely evening on the beach. A few strides tonight then the race tomorrow evening- could be a warm one. I'm hoping for sub 40 for the 6.5 mile course, less than a minute down on last year. I'd settle for your pace Menn...

• Speedy - Pagnol is a bit over-sentimental at times, but heartfelt, at least. Not that nauseating, surely?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Just read my report - what a miserable whinging sod I am.image Drawn the conclusion that I have been running within myself previously and am now at or around my ability level for the first time thus everything becoming significantly harder. Training will have to be more specific for future improvements me thinks.

Bike it - bet the abs are feeling it this morning.

That sounds a pleasant outing OO50. Nice early morning double digits from Gul - I need to do more of them myself

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You never know your ability level Menn, until you stop getting faster...

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Yes, abs hurt this morning, but not as much as my hip flexors.  I decided that the best approach to get over that pain was to block it with some more pain in different areas.  So this lunchtime I went for a spin class.  Basically the instructor made it like going over 3x 500m hills on a fixed gear bike.  I rather enjoyed it, but I did see fellow class mates looking rather uncomfortable.  Tricky thing though was to stand and peddle fast. I hope it will be good for the leg turnover speedimage

• I've just seen that there is the Southport HM taking place on 7th July. This is while I'm there and a week before the Lytham HM, which I've already entered for.

Normally this would be very exciting, and the course looks good and flat as well as quite interesting, but the entry fee is...26 quid!!! Is that normal?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

probably means you'll get a nice T shirt, UK prices shocking compared to Spain Ant, no local sponsorship... 

• Another thing is they send out the race numbers and chips by post a week before. Can't you usually just pick them up on the day or the day before?

And it's at 8.30 in the morning!!

Well, anyway,  if this foot plays the game I'll do it.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Bike It wrote (see)

I decided that the best approach to get over that pain was to block it with some more pain in different areas.  

Well said.

• Mennania - Great report, which I studied closely to see if it tallied with my own experiences of 10k races. Let's see, shall we?

"General feeling of nausea" - tick
    "Thinking about quitting" - tick
    "Realise (target) is no longer achievable" - tick
    "Dehydrated and bilious" - tick
    "Feel dreadful" - tick
    "Unrealistic expectations" - tick

Yes, that'll be about right..

Keir - Nice pic, but which were you? Impossible to tell from that description, as you all look quite similar...

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I assume you are taking the piss Ant, but if not, I am on the left.

£26 for a HM is on the steep side, but for largest events now-a-day, you don't get much change from £20.

2 days into marathon campaign - 2 days of not running. image I am meant to be running my first 5k of the year tomorrow evening but don't know how my toe will be and want to give it maximum recovery time before the North Downs 30k on Sunday. I might have to go for an afternoon jog to test it before deciding on the race.

• Ventured to the track this evening and discovered my options were the long session with folks who are much, much faster than me, or the short session with a group around my pace. OK, short session it is then. 600m, 400m, 200m, three times and all off 4 mins rest. Sounds easy. It is sooooooo NOT. I had to stop after two sets as my legs had turned to jelly and I was getting light headed. Holy cow, that's horrible. Give me 6 x 1 mile off 90 seconds any day!

Pagnol is dreary. The story is dull in both books and everything trundles along at a snail's pace. They made us study him at school (mind you, that often ruins things!). 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

If you think Pagnol is dull, try Baudelaire image 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Not posted here for a while (not been doing anything exciting or marathon-related) but can't let that get past. I love a bit of Baudelaire! Casual sex, rotting corpses, what's not to like?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - good luck with the race tonight.
    Ant - 8:30 in the morning? Disgustingly late.
    Speedy - snail's pace is not always badimage
    4 recovery miles this morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I guess I should read more...

Looks like a nice day for an evening race- target for the 6.5 mile off roader is 40 mins.

• 'OO'50 wrote (see)

I guess I should read more...

Doesn't Razzle count then?image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Oh dear, thhought you were all talking about races. Thanks to Literatin for putting me straight.

Still struggling with ear infections, post lurgy, but I had a good 'multiterrain' session, 4 miles @ 7:30 pace passing by the gym, then  a 37.20 10k on the treadmill, and then 3m @ 7.30 pace  back home. Sensing a comeback. Wish I could do 37.20 in the real world.

Good running tonight OO

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Pangol and Baudelaire sound like the names of prescription drugs to meimage

Kettlebells and dumbells for me today in the local park to my office.  After just a few sessions it is completely normal for me to do the farmers walk (walking carrying dumbells) for a lap of the park.  I ran around 10m (that's metres and not miles) and it still hurt so I suspect it will be a few weeks yet.

MRI scan of my calf is now booked for 8am Sunday morning - it is good to see the NHS getting maximum use out of it's capital by using it 7 days a week.