Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Thank you both, I think I've caught it early as I feel noticably better today. And I've taken time off work rather than soldiering on bravely so doing nothing (which is already driving me crazy) should aid the recovery. The Roo - I know that what you say is exactly what I need to do and is exactly the advice that I'd give - just need some self discipline to make sure that's what I do! 

On a positive, it's still 3 weeks away so the timing could have been worse!

• Ran in the great karrimor trail race on Sunday and have not had chance to get out since. Two days of aching followed by late work and then off to France tomorrow for 8 days so no running then either. 

Keep telling myself I will be rested and fresh, however, hate not being able to get out and run. By the way, it's a school trip to France so can't leave the kids and tootle off for a run. 

• I've never participated in this event before but I live in the area and over the years I have run this course about 10 times just for fitness/training. I have signed up for this year so hopefully will be at the start line.

Despite fairly grim weather (intermitent heavy rain and sunshine) I thought I would give it a go today. Snuck in under 2 hours so I was happy with that.

Anyway further to Grant's question above I did my best to keep a running (sorry for pun) total of the bridges. I made it 16 which includes one right near the start. I don't know the exact start point but I am guessing it is just on the far side of this first bridge.

But you also have to cross the main canal twice to follow the footpath so that adds another 2 and makes 18.

It sounds quite a lot  but I don't think it is a really big deal and is part of the character of the course. They are typical canal bridges i.e. just enough room for a canal boat to get underneath but they are also a variety of shapes and sizes. I wouldn't say exactly how high they are but it's not like climbing a full set of stairs in a house - nearer half I would say.

I suppose if you were looking for a really good time it would have some kind of effect.

Likewise the Coseley Tunnel which I just think is a bit of fun. The floor surface isn't really conducive to running at any speed and overtaking would be pretty tricky if there was somebody walking or running slowly in front of you. So again would have some kind of effect on a really fast time.

Hope that helps.

The rain is bucketing down here now so luckily I missed the worst of it . . . . . .

MB

• Any idea when we find out when we start? I am looking at train options and obviously the sooner I buy them the cheaper they are!

• My first half marathon. Had been training for 10 weeks for this then hurt my Achilles playing football. Took 3 weeks off and now just started light jogging. Bit sore. Hope it holds. Come to far to just give up.

• 2Wheels start is at British Waterways Canal Dock, Wolverhampton. And finish is at the lovely Brindley place .. Drinks galore image

Parbinder .. Good luck iv been off from running with bad knee still not sure if I will be up for it it will be gutted as its a fab route and good first half to do, good luck!

• Thanks Kim - I know where the start is but with it being staggered no idea when!

• Entered this for the first time and looking forward to it. Everyone looks like they're having an excellent time on the photos - though I'm a little disturbed by the people wearing headphones. If ever there were a race where you could do with some situational awareness, this is it!

• Thanks Kim all the best with your knee.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Oh decisions decisions. Signed up for a race in south wales on Sunday 7th July, but wife is visiting my in laws that weekend so I’ll thinking I could make a rare visit and do this half whilst I there. Seeing the posts about it not really being PB potential, I’m thinking I could even take it easy and try 2 half marathons in 2 days with the Wyre Forest HM the day after which will take my total HM’s up to a nice round 10.

Quick question with this one – I’ve read through the previous posts and seen it’s a staggered ‘time trial’ style start which I guess means there’s a chance you’d end up at the front of your group with no one ahead. Is it well marshalled, signposted, as I’m used to just following the person in front!

• You can't get lost !! It's a staggered start which works we really well, so you don't get too many running together . There is always someone ahead or behind (in my case taking over and running past). There are marshals and it is distant marked. There are supporters along the way . Watch out  routine runners and cyclists running opposite ways ha. It's a fun no drama run with a great finishing line. , Kim 

• @legend - it's imposible ro get lost, although there are a couple of canals joining it, it is clear they are not the route. Basically if you keep going in the direction that you started and unless you are wet then you are going the right way! 

• No chance at all of getting lost, marshalls at key points.

• Morning all.

Feel like poop for the last three days, though it was H Fever and I would shake it off, but seems to be moving to my chest.  Had a LSR planned for tomorrow, really not sure if I should just get on with it or rest up for a few days.

Justice really !  Been really lazy with training imageimage

• Sounds like you need a few days off.....

• Sadly I think you might be correct Chris image.

• I have entered this race for the first time and with the race only being two weeks away i have heard nothing more since entering, i was just wondering if you receive a pack through the post with the time chip and race number along with the time you start or just collect it on the day. Any useful information would be grateful. 

• @ Sean. Not heard anything since entering either and I must admit I'd be happy if they would give me a rough start time, I've emailled and not heard back as well as commented the same on the thread. I'f they leave it till the week of the event it will cost me a fortune in train fares compared to booking in advance. 

• You should get your pack next week.  Its usually a week before, dont worry.

• Thanks KAKS, much appreciated. 

• Hi everyone, just looked at the forecast: 41% chance of showers in the morning. High of 21*c. Last year got warm but just meant the atmosphere at Brindley Place was amazing. Can't wait!  image

• Looking forward to this , coming up from Milton Keynes , fancied doing this for a few years ,

• just seen this race and so tempted to apply i've only got up to 10 miles as i was building up from 6 miles end of may and wasn't expecting to race yet. Would you recome this for a first 1st half marathon?  

• Nervous and excited for this in equal measures.

Completed a 22k fell race a couple of weeks ago but have been on holiday since so have only got 15k under my belt since. Hopefully can have a good week or so from now and feel ready for the Saturday.

• Hi Guys - I'm doing the race for the first time this year having been injured the last 2!!

For someone who can do half marathons in the 1.30 mark (flat road), how much slower would you expect them to be on this course??

Obviously proper pacing is important, dont want to go out too quick or too slow!

• CDBP2012, my pb for a half is 1:31:00 (perfect conditions) which I ran last Autumn, I ran this last summer in about 1:38:00. Bit of a difference but it was a hot one last year.

• Yes I agree with you Chris add at least 7 - 10 mins onto your normal HM time (tunnel & Bridges I suppose), I'm exactly the same image.

Although after having a bad chest all week it could be more like 20 Min's for me this time around. Still looking forward to it though.  As many people have said above its always a great finish in Brindley Place (and a well deserved few vino's) image.

• Thanks guys, will bear this in mind and reframe from speeding off into the first few miles at normal half marathon pace.

I reckon to go out at a pace about 20 -30 seconds slower than normal half marathon pace and try to maintain that.

I need to have a goal pace in mnid because im pretty poor at just running races by feel and end up doing the first bit too quick. Even pacing is the way forward!!

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

The website mentions tow path closures, is this 2012 or 2013 news?