Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey - that's seriously impressive!

Where is everyone today?

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

6 for me today, 3 with 100M sprints, then the Wirral AC mile on Wednesday. I'm quite excited for it!

• Thanks for the mention Dean - I do like to lurk on here whenever I can!.

Great to have a natter with you on the warm down after the race and you're running fantastic.

It's amazing how well everyone's ran on here so far this year; inspirational to see.

Running going well for me too and hope to take some more chunks off my times, by the end of the year, all being well!

Great running everyone!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

darren after having a chat i think there will be some definate chunks coming off your times based on your background and that recent speedy 800.  Nothing wrong with your speed if thats what you open your account withimage  be interesting to see where you take the 800 over the summer.

SS - i will make a call in the morning if i go to the wirral. Will wake up and see how i feel but i want to do it.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

thanks for kind words everyone. and Dachs - yeah, i tought i'd better just nip in behind SG's time to keep him on his toes.

Mattl - impressive as always. how you mix up all these distances and terrains is beyond me. would love to know what you could do with a sustained bit of specificity.

Dachs - great race report and great performance considering it's completely out of your comfort zone. Have to agree that fell runners running descents is something to admire!

Bus - nice mixed pace session and very even splits. i'm doing similar sessions with the group i've started coaching on mondays and although they are all sub 3 hour marathon runners, they're not experienced at track work and so far, running consistent splits like yours is beyond them at the moment. they just can't judge pace at all

Ric - long. short. pffft. top running nonetheless.

SS & Dean - good luck for tomorrow night if i don't post before then. remember, it's only 4 laps of a track.

welcome Darren. any goals on the horizon?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Sport in the Port 10k for me and a dissapointing 37.03 littered with schoolboy errors of first k to fast, running to ave pace instead of clock meant I got through 10k on the watch in 36.55 but the last 50m took another 8 secs or so - still a pb and something to gun for next time out.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

always celebrate a PB Mennania! Seems like you know what you need to do for next time out. congrats

• Wheres Stevie G got to? *worried face* back running again now after foot hiccup last week. Impromptu easy week sorted anyway. Slightly paranoid now that just coz I cant feel nothing from the foot its not gone away. Allways lack confidence after niggles. Oh well onwards and upwards. Atleast legs will be rested for Stone 10k this weekend.
  • Nice pb there Mennania. Did you find the course tougher than others. Alot of people seemed to be down on pb's by similar ammounts. One guy from my club pb'd by 11 seconds at sport in port but I cant help thinking its not a true representation of what he's capable of because his pb before was from Trafford (pancake flat) and he's since smashed his 5k pb so I dont think sport in port is an easy course by looks of it.
  • Some great running this weekend I must say.

Isn't it funny how we can get PBs and yet feel deflated and slightly disappointed afterwards. I guess we tell ourselves that if we've managed to do that time, if we'd tweaked this or that in training, paced differently, eaten less etc, then we could have gone quicker. 

The fact that we are improving is all that matters. I've reached my 2013 targets already, felt a little disappointed, so set more stretching ones.. Would rather do that than never reach my goals. 

Anyway, I'm off to train with Wilmslow RC this evening. Never trained with others, so this will be interesting. Will be a trail intervals session. Tired already though: did a 5 miler this morning and just went to the gym. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, is no doubt watching and waiting.

In the meantime, we will maintain standards with racing and training (if any) reports.

🙂

• Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Isn't it funny how we can get PBs and yet feel deflated and slightly disappointed afterwards. I guess we tell ourselves that if we've managed to do that time, if we'd tweaked this or that in training, paced differently, eaten less etc, then we could have gone quicker. 

The fact that we are improving is all that matters. I've reached my 2013 targets already, felt a little disappointed, so set more stretching ones.. Would rather do that than never reach my goals. 

Definitely! I've ticked a fair few things off this year. I still have 2 more goals but they may have to wait, or atleast one of them.

• Thanks Dean, will be interesting to see where the 800m time ends up and to see where yours ends up too!.

Thanks for the welcome Johnas.  I'm primarily focusing on bringing the 5k & 10k times down over the next couple of years.  I recently did a couple of track races (800m & 1500m) for the first time in over 20 years and seemed to be a lot stronger at them than the long distance stuff, so the challenge is to get the 5k's and 10k's in line with the middle distance times, if that's possible!.

Only problem is that I am doing the 6 peaks challenge at the beginning of July, so that may affect progress for a few weeks!.

How about yourself Johnas?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Welcome Darren, and congrats for a good PB for Mennania.

Marathon training began today with 9 including 4 @ threshold, so 5:48, 5:52, 5:38, 5:38.  Averaged slower than usual tempo pace, but still very much feeling the race on Sunday in the legs, it definitely worked some different muscles to usual,  Doesn't really feel like the beginningof marathon training, since that's a pretty typical tempo session for me anyway.

Update on the Ridgeway Relay was that my official time was 1:06:42, so actually 6:04 pace, and the team endedup 7th.

Hope Mr SG is doing OK.

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Marathon Training.... Dachs were still in June, athletics has just started on the telly...

• Bit tired after today.

5 miles this morning then some weights in the gym this afternoon.

Was invited to join Wilmslow running club for a speed session.  Was good.. A nice warm up over the hills and then 9x650m reps on a makeshift track on a field!

Averaged around 2mins per lap with 75s rest. Ran with the A group so was happy to be able to keep up. Usually just me and the watch so it was good chasing others. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, I'm of the opinion that once having attained a level of athletic ability; as most of us on this thread have, the training for a marathon need only a tweak as regards the length of the longest run, and then only once every six weeks.

Saves a lot of extra effort.

Most marathon schedules are based on the principle that the runner embarking upon them, has been doing next to no training bar months of jogging at less than 50% of average mileage.

An increase in loading in addition to the loading you are currently on may have the opposite effect of that desired. You are already race fit.

All I would do now in preparation is change two things; the aforementioned  longest run and length of speed sessions. My top aim of those was 20 x 3minutes at 10k pace.

Right then, another mug of black coffee and I'm out the door, I may be some time.

🙂

• Forgot to congratulate Mennania. Well done. Hello to Darren too.

Yet another 50 or so heel drops this morning.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, I'm not sure I agree for my particular cicumstance. What you're describing is basically what I did last year, and, whilst many would say it was OK as a debut, it was nowhere near my potential based off my shorter distance times.

I certainly think that in another 5 years I'll be able to do pretty much as you describe and do myself justice, as by then I will have a decent aerobic engine under my belt.  However, at this stage I have been running properly for less than two years, so I still believe there is lots of marathon-specific work to do.  The schedule I'm following is from P&D's Advamced Marathoning, and is aimed at those who are already training seriously, so it starts at 65 mpw with a schedule that, actually, looks pretty much like my normal schedule minus the speedwork. So, as yet, I'm not doing anything very different, and probably won't for a few weeks.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Thanks Guys, It was billed as super flat Andy but reality wasnt the same. I have PO10'd those around me and there are no PB's from seasoned runners just people like me with soft PBs to begin with. The person who came in 3 secs before me was almost a minute off their PB as was the guy who was second who ran manchester 30 secs faster in May. Onwards and upwards. Woke up with cramps in my calf last night - first time ever.

• Tarrus elli races all over place mennania. Not sure if he targets certain events like. I enjoyed watching actually. Honestly though the two kenyans have the most relaxed style I have ever seen esp tarrus. He loped along with the highest heel flick I ever saw. Looked like he wasn't breathing aswell. How do they do it? I'm intrigued. He appeared to have a slower cadence than most.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

i was second to tarus in my local 10km a couple of weeks ago. He sure does make it look effortless. Ran the first km with him anyway. image 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, indeed. I forget you are still at a relatively early stage as regards distance training. I wouldn't agree either on that basis.

To the best of my knowledge there's potential improvement for around a decade.

In my case it was ten years before I ran any marathon and that was after my very first race was a half! 

I fed off that endurance base for years after. Realised I lost it and am just in the process of nailing it back on. 12 miles every day at the moment. weight dropped from 129lb's at the time of the Staines 10k. Now down to 124lb's. Even my lad has stopped calling me fat!

Back to work.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Afternoon all!

Interesting the talk about marathon training, as I started increasing my long runs last week and did a marathon pace (sort of!) session today. I agree with both Dachs AND Ric on this one to a large extent! In essence though, the training changes can be subtle, but significant! For me, that will be building the long run, trying to get to about 6 runs over 20M (max 25) and then trying to also increase a mid-week run gradually up to 13-15M, but with a large chunk of that at MP to HMP. The rest will be the same, though speed sessions will probably focus on the longer end of the rep spectrum. The extra miles on the long and mid run will take it up to about 60-70 at the peak.

Today's was an 8M along the canal, so flat but a bit rough uneven underfoot. I was aiming for a 1M warm-up, 6M at MP then 1M warm down. However, I got the pacing wrong, did the MP too fast for the first 3M and as it was such a hot and muggy day, cut it to 5M rather than push super hard and suffer tomorrow! Average just under 6:20 pace for the 5M. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not training towards a marathon myself but a late night/ early morning 20 mile leg of the Round Norfolk Relay. The distance suits me as a racing maximum. Marathons just make me feel ill.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I know what you mean Ric - even just thinking about doing it! It's a strange cimpulsion, whihc fortunately only bites me once every few years! 20M is good maximum - wish that's what marathons were image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I find the whole marathon deal now nothing but a spoiler for all my other runs/ races.

During training I can't do the races because of recovery issues surrounding the long runs and doing them in the first place. And after the marathon when I'm not fit for anything for weeks.

Either get injured training for the thing or suffer in the race and after due to not training enough. Can't win really. A guy in my club is currently dealing with his second London marathon aftermarth. Could wipe out the summer, again.

I don't miss marathons at all. But only because I've run a few.

🙂

• My club often does a long run in the summer. The past 2 years it has been the Thames path. I did year 1 (Abingdon to Reading), last year was Reading onwards. Works out about 30 miles-ish. Minibus (vehicleimage ) meets every 1 to 3 miles and a healthy hour or so stop for lunch.

It's a long slow day and a bit of a marathon taster, albeit without the long training or the recovery.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

STOP - need positive thoughts only! (hands on ears singing la, la, la!).

If I crack 2:50 it'll be my last one, if I don't  .......might still be my last one image

• The Bus wrote (see)

STOP - need positive thoughts only!

Be grateful there isn't a swim and a bike before the marathonimage