Please Could I Have Advise From The Experts

My daughter's work mate is planning to run a Marathon at the end of this year he is aiming  under 4 hoursimage

He has ran a couple of marathons just over 4 hours.  

He has asked my daughter to ask me what training he should do ONE WEEK before his Marathon.

Advice pleaseimage   So we can help the 'Marathon Boy' fulfil his dream.

TRAINING SCHEDULE  ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MARATHON

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday  

Friday

Saturday

Race Day

I am young gifted and Black.

Comments

• Sunday - Hal Higdon

Monday - Hal Higdon

Tuesday - Hal Higdon

Wednesday - Hal Higdon

Thursday - Hal Higdon

Friday - Hal Higdon

Saturday - Hal Higdon

Race Day (after 18 weeks of Hal Higdon) - Job done

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think the week before is is the least of his worries.

What is he Planning on doing for the previous 15/ 17 weeks?
  • I was about to say the same ... its the weeks preceeding the last week that he needs to worry about
    When is this race Karen?

• Follow a plan.  Run 3 - 5 times a week: speed work and hills once a week each. Build up the mileage slowly add a mile or sometimes 2 on to the long run each fortnight.  Usually peak 4 weeks before (20 -22 miles at marathon pace).  Then taper. 6 miles, medium pace one week before.  Tuesday or weds before 3 mile slow.  Otherwise the last week is rest, stretch, get lots of sponsors and eat pasta. You will feel this is wrong and you will think you can't run 20+ because you haven't recently.  However you won't be making any fitness/stamina gains (v v o max etc) from long runs/speed work during the taper, last few weeks, so it's about maintaining muscle memory, resting muscles consolidating fitness and stretching.  The last week you run enough to keep your metabolism ticking over at it's now accustomed high speed.  So that the new muscles you have built  and your new fitness levels are rested and you have reserves of glycogen and the equipment to burn it efficiently all in place for the big day.

You don't need to know all this, just follow a plan.  Good lick to him.

• Nothing he runs in the week before the race will make him run it any quicker - only slower.

If he doesn't run at all in that last week, that in itself won't make him run it any slower.

Too many people arrive at the start line not rested enough.

Like Canute says - the Sunday before max 6 miles.

Then I would do max: 2-3 miles at expected marathon pace on Tues and Thurs only.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why is he only interested in the last week? As most have said apart from not doing too much it's no where near as important as the weeks before.
  • That does seem a very peculiar question.

As Mr.M says, it wouldn't matter if he didn't do anything in the week before, it's all the other weeks that count.

Perhaps you could suggest he comes on here and asks himself though - it's a complete faff for any info to have to go through you and then your daughter.

• Maybe he's working backwards and Karen will be asking about the second to last week next week.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I don't think a coach will be able to provide many more words of wisdom than has already been said.

If he is following a plan then he should follow what that specifies for the last week. It's prob ok to do less than the plan says but not more.