Tick Tock Ten - An amazing read

I have just finished the book Tick Tock Ten. The story of Gerry Duffy’s completion of the Deca.

It makes inspirational reading and bought me to tears on many occasions.

What really struck home though, were his words about Monique.

"We read about sporting role models all the time. Many justify the tag. It has taken me six months of writing to arrive at the opportunity to type these few paragraphs in tribute to this one. She is the greatest sportswoman I have ever had the privilege to meet.

Never mind the sink, Monique had the entire kitchen thrown at her. From a first day miscalculation and the three hours she had lost. The fact that she was usually one of the last competitors to close her eyes each night. The fact that she always blitzed the run. Partly because she was a superb runner but also critically to ensure that she made the cut off. Her absolute ability to motivate herself despite her incredibly long days. And her encouragement of others despite her state of constant lack of fatigue, and her consistent sense of humour."

I hadn’t quite grasped what she had achieved that year. I feel privileged that I have met her, if only on brief occasions.The book is a must read for every pirate.

Comments