a new beginning......

hello to all,

complete beginner deciding to leap into the realms of fitness and dig out my trainers.im hoping to show some commitment and take part in a local 10k in a few months time. any ideas on getting started and keeping it going would be much appreciated, just to get my backside over the finish line.

thanks

Comments

• don't over push yourself, start slowly and build your mileage up slowly.  Try and aim to run for 30 mins without stopping and build on that. It's not going to be easy so you need a positive attitude.

• I found the C25K program (I used a free app for this) a fantastic route in to running from absolute zero to 5k. Getting up to 10k wasn't half as difficulties that first 5k,  I found. There are similar program's out there which will get you up to that 10k distance, so perhaps search C210k. In case you are wondering, C25k is short for "Couch To 5k"

Good luck with it, it is possible but as said above dont over do it, as it can be very easy to pick up injuries if you try too much too soon.

• thanks barry,

would it be fair to say, aim for minutes rather than miles to begin with to improve fitness?

• Yeah I did, in the very early days when I was unfit and very new to running I used to run for 5mins and then walk for 3 mins and repeated until I had been out for at least 30 mins. Don't worry about the distance build on your stamina first.

• thanks for the tips. i will give it a try and look at the C210k too.

• The apps simply take the thinking out of when to walk and when to run. A very simple idea that gets you running in small manageable sessions, for example on week 1, day 1 you will warm up by walking 5 minutes, then it tells you to run for 1 minute, then walk , this repeats 8 times then a 5 min cool down walk. Over and done with in about half hour. Each week amd most days progress you on a little bit. Definitely worth a loooink my opinion.

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Good link with some info on how fast for a beginner

http://mindovermatterblog.net/2013/06/running-101-slow-down/

• ok, so day 1 began with a warm up of 5 mins warm up followed by a  3 mile run with x2 2 minute walks.

day 2, same warm up followed by a 2 mile run with x1 2 min walk.

a few aches, but in general surprised with level of fitness after so long without running. im taking the running at a slow pace but all in all happy with how it's gone.

staying positive and aiming for no stops and then increase mileage gradually. any advice on whether or not this is the right way to go on improving my stamina?

thanks

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I sort of did it DIY instead of couch to xxx program and I had a 1.6 route 800m each way and I started off just seeing how far I could run etc... So it can be done that way.

the couch to xxx plans work for a lot of people so I guess you should give carful consideration before ditching them. 

One thing I would say is for the first month or two at least don't do more then 3 times a week, your muscles only repair themselves and get better by resting. One big newbie problem is running to often so the muscles don't repair and rest between runs.

have a goal in mind, ok you have that covered with your 10k image 

my last piece of advice don't RUN to quickly it isn't about running as hard as possible then walking it's about slowly building up your stamina and speed, if you go to quick likely to cause an injury ad or just give up as you can't keep it up, it's not a sprintimage just make the right running motions and plod along, speed comes with time and practise don't worry about how slow you are... It's completely irrelevant at this stage.

• Your getting some good tips here. My last tip would be, only run every other day. The body needs to rest. Even if you think you are only running short distances give your muscles a chance to recover. Well done so far.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

+1 for what the other have said about letting your muscles rest by running every other day. Most beginners find that their stamina builds up very quickly and the temptation is to ramp up the miles. But the muscles take longer to develop and this is why so many get injuries 1-3 months after starting running.

I would advise doing a Pilates class every week as this builds core strength which is important for running and also helps ward off injuries.

If you can target a 5k race first, that will help build your confidence. Parkruns are great if you have a local one and you will find loads of beginners there.

Lastly, don't be afraid to join a local club. They are great for motivation and you  get loads of advise.

Good luck!

• ive taken on board the need for rest, which ill get as i work shifts which include nights.

as for the pilates class, luckily that comes for free as my other half is a modern pilates instructor. i suppose patience plays a key part in the initial stages of running. avoiding too much too soon.

all advice is appreciated