Ironman Lanzarote 2013 (3rd weekend in May?)

1929394959698»

Comments

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

image Well done mate.  

• Great report Ferrett, you really must have tiptoed down the donkey track, you'd pulled away out of sight from me over the last 5-10 miles.  I even stopped before the donkey track for a pee and still caught you up in PDC image

Good running.

Any more reports still to come? I love reading them.

• Thats a good run time for somoene whose wheels fell off............well done FeFe

• Well done Ferret!  
    I hope your bog is ok and not leaking!!  image

• BunglesBungles ✭✭✭

Another late race report, but that's mainly because I DNF!

I'd completed IM Austria in 2011 in 15hrs so for my next effort I knew I could go faster but when thinking about where to go for my next IM going faster didn't seem to appeal so I though "I know I'll do one where I don't think I'll be able to finish!" Genius!! After a year off in 2012 due to not being able to get time off work due to the Olympics (although I did manage to sneak away to do Escape from Alcatraz, awesome race) 2013 was the year of the Lanza!,

After entering my personal life fell apart with a divorce, 2 house moves and much emotional angst which was not great when trying to train sabout its not supposed to be easy but I'd made it even harder. A week away to Lanza in Feb to have a look at the bike course (my weakest part) made me have a huge meltdown and I considered pulling out......but didnt.

Roll on May I was out for a friends birthday the week before in Calero before relocating to Club Oceano on the Wednesday. I'd had such a crap time with my cycling and my race bike being so uncomfortable I'd brought my winter bike with a triple on it such was my confidence about doing the bike. Every day leading up to the race I thought about pulling out, I hadn't trained enough, I felt done in, I had a crap bike, everyone looked so fit, every negative thought filled my head so when I lined up on the Saturday I was beaten before I began.

• BunglesBungles ✭✭✭

Swimming is my best discipline but I don't like biff so lined up towards the back. I felt ok, saw my partner who was doing kayak support and waved twice such was the seriousness of the event and landed back on the beach in 1:17. Not too shabby. Into the furthest transition tent ever, all the blokes were in the ladies changing tent ( which was the size of a teepee) so I stripped off naked anyway and gave everyone a real treat.

onto the bike, the weather has been well documented but was pretty crap and onto bike part of the bike route I had done out to Calero, onto Yaiza then the El Golfo loop. It was windy but not too bad and I was feeling ok. Over fire mountain which was a drag then things started to go wrong with the drop down to La Santa and Famara which had a massive headwind and I was going nowhere fast. My average speed had dropped and I was by now in my little ring. Loads of people were passing me but at the same time stretches of the road I was alone. I started to have a little blub to myself and by then I was gone. 

I got to halfway in 4.5hrs too long for the cutoff I though as the hardest was yet to come. I saw my supporters in Teguise told them I was getting off which I did then cried  like a big girls blouse......and that was it!

• BunglesBungles ✭✭✭

I went back to the apartment got changed and went to cheer in the others. I saw Iron Pingu (who I had met at bike racking) go out into the run looking good! I felt sad but not distraught. My overwhelming feeling was that I hadn't trained hard enough and that I hadn't deserved to finish.

Over a month later I still feel the same. I will go back to Lanza as I don't like being beaten but will leave it for a while so I can improve my bike.

Well done to fall who finished, it is a brutal race which deserves respect.

• BunglesBungles ✭✭✭

Sorry about spelling mistakes, IPad seems to have gone mental!!

• Doh! I was out of the swim in 1:17 too, but didn't see no naked ladies!! image

But bad luck Bungles - just wasn't your day! I'm sure you'll nail it next time!! image

• Great report Ferret, and you two Bungles.  You'll be back to beat the course i'm sure image

• Bungles, you will indeed be back, I like your approach to entering something that you dont know youll finish.

• Ferret, great report, you did so well on the run.

Bungles, I remember getting into racking after the bike and seeing your run bag gone and thinking you'd blasted the bike after the time you'd predicted ... then doing a double take on the run when I saw you supporting image   Sometimes things just don't go to plan  .. and it's a good excuse to go back!! image

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I like your approach to entering something that you dont know youll finish.

imageimage

Fnar fnar image

• Congratulations Ferret, great report and result.

Bungles, I didn't finish either due to poor energy levels; I took two weeks off, did the UK 70.3 last Sunday (finished) and can't wait to go back to Lanza, although it will probably be 2015 for me.  You'll be back.

• BunglesBungles ✭✭✭

Thank you for all your kind words.

i hope to also go back in 2015 SumoSue, will be doing Germany next year (15hr cut off, like to make it more difficult!)

of course next year I'll be wearing the pirate colours!!

• Pingu - when I was waiting at the swim start at Windsor last week, some bloke next to me said 'Oh you're a Pirate, you must know Pingu' and then proceeded to tell everyone around you're bike story from Lanza!! It set to become a thing of legend!! Although I think you're milking a little if some complete stranger knows about it image 

He was obviously a dubious character though as he then said ' That Slag, he's s a nice bloke!!' - he's obviously delusional!! image

• Haha, I know who that was, I shall be seeing him on the weekend, he was at IMW the last couple of years. 

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Pingu - when I was waiting at the swim start at Windsor last week, some bloke next to me said 'Oh you're a Pirate, you must know Pingu' and then proceeded to tell everyone around you're bike story from Lanza!! It set to become a thing of legend!! Although I think you're milking a little if some complete stranger knows about it image 

He was obviously a dubious character though as he then said ' That Slag, he's s a nice bloke!!' - he's obviously delusional!! image

LOL!!

Bungles, don't beat yourself up over it.  What a tough year you had on the lead up.  Well done for just getting to the start.  That's more than a lot of us.  

And with that, I think my mind's made up.  Just need to persuade someone I can do the training as well as losing the weight!!

• Finally done my race report, still not checked my GPS data though. They are quite long but there are photos and videos to watch.

Pre race

Race Report