Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Mile tonight chaps, 5:00.5... HALF A SECOND! Still loved it though. Pace wasn't the best but never felt like I was 'done' until the end. Rough laps were 72, 77, 76, 71. Has a bad end to the second/start of the third lap. But finished strong, thought I'd scrapped it! image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Mile race for me tonight.  if I'm being honest the whole purpose to race this was to get on the all time v40 rankings.  Good evening to race, no wind although still quite warm. Met up with stevie see and warmed up.  We were broken up into 2 races.  But the split still allowed a thread head to head as stevie comfortably made the A race.

plan was lap 68s and hold on as long as possible.   After a fast first 200m I settled into 4th, and was on target for 800.  3rd lap i move into 3rd but am losing time despite it feeling like I'm moving faster.  i target the young chap in 2nd and start to reel him in.  I pass him with 200 to go and he responds but I lift my pace and make sure he can't get past.  Into the last 100 and I kick, dropping this youngster.  It's a decent kick and I finish comfortably in 2nd.  4.34.  no regrets this was as good as I could go today.  Very happy.  And it's for a 3rd v40 ranking in 2013 and 12th  on the all time v40 Ranking.  Not to bad for a debutimage

now stevie has a story, but I will let him tell it ... Edit cross post

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

hmmm, I s'pose that's true.....

How can people even contemplate ultras? Madness...come on UG, explain yourself image

12th on the ALL TIME rankings on your first attempt is just awesome! I'm searching for another mile as we speak! Might do that Oxford one!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great miling guys. Just thinking about it makes my lungs explode.

Bus, positive thoughts about the marathon, indeed. You're going to be positively knackeredimage.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Ricimage

Stevie, Dean, missed your posts last night. What can I say Dean? True quality! What a debut! Stevie, fantastic time-that 0.5 sec will have to go next time out thoughimage. Well done guys (it's made me thinkabout a mile too...)

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Fine effort on the mile lads!

SS - if you take the expereince of this one into the next, you'll smash that 5 min barrier.

Dean

/members/images/496080/Gallery/worthy.jpg

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Brilliant running lads. 12th on the all time list on your debut. unreal. That sub 5 is nailed on Stevie! 

What do you lot think is best for pacing wise for my debut 5000. I'm hoping to run low 16s and ill most prob be running solo (at the back) such is the quality of the field. Do you lot go off and try to run every lap at target pace or maybe slightly behind pace then try and wind it up later on? 

Im fearful of the target being maybe being a bit too much and then suffering even more late on. On the plus side I'm guaranteed a PB.image 

• Good going guys. Very impressed, even with the 5s SS.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps, Stevie thats a great last lap and you were flying down the final straight so a strong finish does hint at more time to come off it.  Maybe a few 1500s as practice.  Im tempted to go to oxford too but its in the week of my wife and sons birthdays so logistically it might throw up some problems. 

Matt - i would go at ave target pace and try and lift towards the end.  but depends on your style, how would you normally run a 5k or 10k?  do you record big first miles and then slight fade or are you more even?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice miling both.  Dean, 12th on the V40 AT list?  Good grief!  You've got a phenomenal amount of speed still for your advanced years image.  SS, frsutrating not to quite break 5 but sounds like it's well in the tank.

Like Bus, I now want to do one.  What is this Oxford mile of which you speak? However, I must keep my discipline and stay away from such short-distance frivolities. 

Speaking of which, 12 for me last night, average pace 6:53.  Too fast.  However, it was nice to use the Garmin for the first time on a longer run, meaning I could make it up as I went along instead of always running the same pre-planned routes.  Could have done without having to start laying laminate flooring afterwards though.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

i tend to run everything quite even. I'm always massively wary of going off too quick and crawling home. It's just the doubt of whether I've got a very low 16 in me at this point but erring on the side of caution could leave me thinking I'd more to give. will stick to what I know and try and go for even laps with maybe a something left in the tank at the end. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Mattl - You 've got a quicker 10K time than me and run your reps faster, and I think that I would be capable of a low 16, so I don't see why you wouldn't be.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt - you are good for a low 16.  if you go off too conservatively the 5k has a habit of making it difficult to claw back.   go off suitably hard and hold on to the pace as long as you can.  the first 2ks take care of themselves, 3rd and 4th is where you dig in and it hurts and the last km you will find you get back on pace. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not really in a position to give advice as my 5k experience is very limited - what Dean and Dachs say makes sense though.

Very hot, humid and hilly 12.4M off-road tonight in a very pedestrian 1.49. Ready for a cold beer now!

Matt, I'd go off at an even pace. Turning the screw on a 5K can sometimes be very hard. Brave move in a field of that quality!

Dean, there's another mile in Southport in August. Still a bit of a trek for you but it is a Sunday. Thinking of doing a 1500 on Tuesday rather than a 3K as I might be a little leggy from the 10K on Sunday. Plus I'm kinda' looking forward to it now after last night!

16 x 200 off 1min (standing) tonight: 34, 34, 35, 35, 36, 36, 36, 35, 35, 35, 34, 35, 34, 34, 34, 33. Felt pretty easy image

• Dean, great, great, great mile.

Stevie see wrote (see)

12th on the ALL TIME rankings on your first attempt is just awesome! I'm searching for another mile as we speak! Might do that Oxford one!

When is that? Oxford is close to me so may be tempted.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

That the one.  It's also a bmc event too, 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps - very nice haircut by the way - people will think you're a V40 now image

• Dean, do you fancy joining me on the 16th July?

I'm toying with the idea of a 3000 or maybe 1500..I e-mailed the organiser and he says one can just turn up on the night..

http://www.traffordac.co.uk/tac/docs/2013_Programme.doc

You guys have fired me up to do track races now.. At least to try 1 before the summer's out.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Tim, yep.  stevie and I do those races plus loads from our clubs. they are very popular. The next one is on tuesday which im in the 800 and stevie in the 1500.  There are so many heats that are run in expected time groups that there is a race for everyone.   

• I'll make sure he gets up early enough to do a good warm up and some stretching - when you arrive you will probably see him doing a few strides in the car park so he will be able to run it hard and keep up. I hope so anyway - I get fed up of waiting for him all the time.

Interesting bike ride this morning.  Not the Enid Blyton, singing songs, having picnics under the leafy trees type bike ride I was expecting.  I've managed to mend my bike, clean the gunk from my tassle top, untangle myself from the barb wire and get most of the grit from under my skin. I'm sure the wounds will heal quickly.  Looking forward to the next one!.  Those TT bikes.  www.d2ride.co.uk

DL – I won't be doing the Manchester10k as I'm golfing all week in France from the Monday to Friday before so I don't think I'll be best prepared!  Also doubts about Penny Lane 10k now as we may be away for the weekend - not that I'm trying to avoid you or anything.

My races pencilled in over the next month or so are:  Ascot 10k 25th June, Warrington Road Runners 10k 24th June (Thursday, another fast and flat one) and then the two Sale 5k races on 12th & 26th July. Hope to see you at one of those.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

my lunch time session was 4*300m off 5min recovery.  Target was 45secs.

they came out 44.7, 44.1, 43.1, 43.5.   so very happy with that.  Even ran topless as there was nobody at the track a la Bus.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

an open top bus?

impressive stuff Dean. out of our whole club that turned up for track on Monday night, only 1 ran sub 30 seconds for 200m. Puts those splits of yours into perspective - Quick!

5x 6mins threshold off 60 secs for me last night. averaged 5.45 per mile so covered just over 1 mile in each rep. Legs still felt heavy though from last Sunday's 10k. Looking forward to a beer or two tonight.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hill session for me, with the tough bit starting at 6:00am. Same session as before but average speed nearly 4% faster.

However, nearly all of this was due to being able to run back down hill faster than before; which is progress of some sort, perhaps?

Recovering so fast from the training at the moment that I was looking forward to tomorrows run while I was finishing today's.

Admit it, when not on form the next day becomes something to dread; well if one insists on training that is.

Which brings me a point about training zones based on current race times.

If the race was repeatable within 48 hours and then again, I would say that level was just that, level.

But if the result of that race was serious damage, which needed some accurate recovery strategies to overcome, then not.

Running wise, we are only as good as we are at any moment in time. Planned training works, but works better if every day is weighed on it's particular merits.

It doesn't work when executed regardless of unplanned variables playing their part.

I could be accused of making up my training on the day. I do, but its part of a combination of short term and long term plans based on current ability.

It can become quite complicated.

🙂

Great work fellas, plenty of cracking sessions there!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ss. glad to see some of us; actually quite a lot of us are keeping this thread going.

I was hoping that due to the limit testing nature of our activities that injuries were part and parcel of the deal. 

On that basis I see no shame in fielding an injury update post.

Isn't how we deal with set-backs one of the keys to future success?

Dean, every one of those was better than my pb for 300m (a pathetic 46 seconds) I need a lie down. My hamstrings must have read those times.image

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Ss. glad to see some of us; actually quite a lot of us are keeping this thread going.

I was hoping that due to the limit testing nature of our activities that injuries were part and parcel of the deal. 

On that basis I see no shame in fielding an injury update post.

Isn't how we deal with set-backs one of the keys to future success?

Still injured. Or should I say, still recovering? 2 weeks since my last run and in that time I have done 90-100 heel drops each day. Calves (calfs?) are strengthening. Another 2 weeks to go and then it'll be an easy couple of km.

That will be the hard part, not going back to fast or hard and undoing 4 weeks of work. Plus I need to learn to back off or stop if I feel a twinge again.

And as SS says, cracking work guys.

• Dean- reps on a Friday lunchtime?!! That must be what separates mortals from Dean R7s!!