Favourite distance

What's everyone's fav distance to run?

I'm coming to the conclusion that I just don't have enough time in my life to train for long distance runs.  I think I will concentrace more on speed instead and go short distance.

I have a HM booked for later this year so will be doing that and then shall start shortening and speeding up.

So I will vote for 5k being my fav.

Comments

• 5ks are over too quickly, 10k is challenging enough, halfs feel like a bit of an adventure and a marathon I have yet to do - its my bucket list distance!  Would love to do an ultra.......

• yes I too would love to do a Marathon but I just don't have time to train for one..... maybe when I retire image

• Did my first marathon in London this year  as have been retired now for 10 months - was such a treat to have the time to train properly! But half marathons are still my favourite - am now trying not to do too many!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I prefer the Marathon as it will find you out if you haven't put in the training.

You can just about wing a 5/10 k or even a half if you are reasonably fit but the marathon difference is a real step up which requires commitment.
  • A marathon i think is most rewardi g but i do love a HALF. 

• I've run 5k 10k half and full marathons and ultras up to 70 miles, I think marathons are my favourite as I usually take 4:20 to 5:00 depending upon difficulty. At my pace I find the people running them very sociable and chatty. One thing that always puzzles me though, how come the last half mile even at 5k is always agony and I cannot wait to cross the line.

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

In the last year or so I've raced over distances from 800m to a half marathon. I don't really have a favourite, although 5k is probably my quickest relatively.

As for marathons, surely to run any distance to the best of your ability requires equal commitment? Weekly mileage will vary, but not effort.

• Not sure about favourite, but I think 10k is probably my least favourite. 5k is unpleasant, but it doesn't last very long, whereas HM pace is reasonably comfortable and only starts to hurt towards the end. With 10k however, the pace is a bit too long and the distance a bit too far so you have to push the whole way.