The running confession from the Simon Mayo show

Not sure if anyone caught the confession on Radio 2 last night. It was from a guy who was a fairly succesful amateur runner in his youth but was getting frustrated when his 18 year old son started beating him. They organised a race and £100 bet and basically the dad cheated by getting a lift in a car (he had a 1min headstart).

It made me laugh, but it made me think of my 6 year old boy. Right now I love running with him and often pick him up at the end of a long run to go for a cool down jog. Does the feeling change though when they start to kick your backside? Not sure it would for me but just curious on anybody's experiences.

Comments

• surely part fo bringing up children is to do it in a way so that they surpass you in all things.thats how society evolves and improves...........

so surely you are just waiting for the day when they are better than you to know you did the job right.....image

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Remember Competitive Dad from the Fast Show?  Don't be that guy!  

• I did hear that last night and I did have a good old chuckle to myself ... !!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Notes down another reason to glad to have no children!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I am happy to be beaten by my 10 year old son at whatever we do, monopoly, chess (I don't think I have ever beaten him at chess), swimming, but running is different - I will not let him beat me - so I am guessing as he gets older I will need a  a supply of EPO.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the time I nearly beat my Dad at golf (at the time I was 25 and he was 55) . I had played the best 15 holes of my life and was 2 up with 3 to play.

My dad then went on to birdie the last 3 holes and win the match.

I gave up the sport very soon after that.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Millsy - Did he punch the air as the last putt went in?  I hope he bought the first pint, at least?  image

I was never much good at cricket but I was bowling to my 9 year old nephew in the back garden the other day.  He's already got a straighter bat than I ever had.  Good lad!

• I beat my boys at downing jagermisters at christmas,.......they were going on and mouthing off and so i took up the challenge.....won the first round so they said best out of 3..won the next round and so they changed it to best out of 5 .when i won the next I had to tell them that was the last or we would be there all night.....

maybe not the correct contests for a middle aged mother to get involved in...........image

But I ruled supremeimage

• haha great stories.

My Dad was never that competetive with us, he would balance out us winning and losing. However for some reason when we played snooker he would mercilessly crush us. Not sure why snooker got him going but it was always funny he enjoyed himself so much it made the experience fun for us.

I can't imagine cheating to beat my kids but boy they will have to work hard for the win. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Phil

I wish he had punched the air!

He just holed his putt, shook my hand and said "thanks for the game" and nonchalantly just strolled off the green whistling to himself, as if finishing, birdie, birdie, birdie was just how he finished every round.

He did buy the first pint though.

• I could no doubt beat my dad now he is in his 60s, I suspect I'll never get close to his pb times though.

At the moment our kids are quite young, so i let them win sometimes and beat them others. I guess letting them win will become less of a pretence as the years pass.

As seren says, I hope that eventually the surpass mein every way.