What: 45min Steady

Why: Wakened early

OH: Glad you also knew saying about the approach of winterimage

Tom: Good to have you back

Back later

Doh started this in General a minute ago...image

Comments

• Morning.

Was just catching up with yesterday's thread and trying to think of lyrics but you've saved me birks.

Great to see you Tom - I hope that the asthma is sorted but not 100% confident as it didn't happen every time I raced. Miss your posts when you're not joining in.

Blisters - weekend is looking like a washout here but from a weather point of view.

Paddy - hope the sea is calm! Looking forward to reading all about it.

What:            time on the turbo
    Why:             wind and rain
    Last hard:     looking at the weather forecast
    Last rest:      27/4

Lyrics - can't say that I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

Pouring down here now !

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

Will have to read back to see what Tom says

Hi Tom

Been raining  this morning

What: a run in a  park
    Why I said I would and i'm up
    Last Hard: haha
    Lyrics No

• Blisters - like your style man. Next thing you'll be asking for Kilburn back!!!!

Off to the seaside now. I'm told the sea is choppy - the wind is strong from the West - that should make the exposed cycle interesting!! The run should be grand if I get that far!!

Baby, I don't understand why I do this shit!!!

• Morning Paddy and Pammie

Paddy: All the best.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Good luck Paddy image

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Morning everyone!

Thank you all for your "welcome back"s!! Much appreciated!

Emzap - life with the baby is busy, but fantastic. I'm just starting to get a little more time into my day and am trying to use it for training and a bit of R&R! He is growing rapidly and will be 2 in October...how time flies!

Paddy - good luck!

What: Watching the Lions vs Aus...maybe a run later
    Why: It's once every four years (Lions tours or me running?)
    Last hard: Can't remember
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: Look familiar, but no

Back later! image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

how annoying, 
    just wrote a long post and pc just decided to refresh the page. How come that never happens in the movies when the masterminds are just about to upload/download some deed of high importance? They never get a pop up saying essential updates are about to be run either...
    Tom - good to see yo still active. Your 5k time would catapult you into the top half dozen at our local 5k event. I'm still at a loss to understand however why you yearn for the top group, when there is a sea of lycra waiting for you to wade through..?
    DD - thanks for bringing back the gulf weather...but yes, is there a summary of your ride, or at the very least the schedule? Sore backside - saddle soreness or strange lejog initiation ceremony?
    Emz- twas me that asked about Mizunos: want to expand my list of possibles in case I see them discounted
    Alex - enjoy the egg chasing, let the summer of beating the aussies begin!
    PAddy - enjoy the seaside
    Blisters - you have mastered the art of many of an opposition politician: state the facts, not state the solutions. Oh hang on, they state the facts, complain about them, but don't state any solutions. silly me.
    Wabo - run well, run fast, stay dry...or at least two out of three.

what - very slow easy run later, 8-10 miles depending on the legs, plus help setting up school summer fayre (for tomorrow). At least we have the weather for it....
    why - marathon in 7 days
    last rest - thursday
    last hard - tuesday

lyric - doubtful

• What: not a lot
    Why: on call. Home alone. Smirry rain
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: yesterday

Just got the (printed) picture of Thomas in 10x8 back from last Sunday image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Was a drowned rat by the end of my 7 mile run this morning in the rain!  Some heavy showers about!  And the nights are fair drawing in!  ;)

Managed to get round in 50:30 or so, got another wee ore throat today, hope it doesnt come to anything.

Lyrics - naw!

• The rain stopped the sun came out and I couldn't resist despite the wind so two hours on the bike and home before the rain got too heavy again. Very blustery out mind - the odd time when I couldn't let go of the handlebars in order to take a drink.

• As it was very windy I got to the beach and looked at the sea, but knowing it was from the West was hoping for a calmish sea - and there it was ---calmish.

This was small event with only members of two clubs taking part but for me it was a big thing as it was now going to be my first chance of a decent swim in the sea.

There was an Olympic distance and a sprint - a dozen or so of us in the Oly.

The swim was different than the one proposed for the race in two weeks - it was an up and down course.

Anyway off we went and the "up" section was perfect for me as I was breathing towards the shore. I looked around and thought shit I've gone the wrong way but no- -I was only in the lead to my surprise. Got to the turn which was a blue buoy!! hard to see and the tide had gone out since it was placed so the official on the shore was signalling to turn out from the buoy and not come in to go around it as that would have meant practically getting out of the water.

After the turn things weren't so good and I had my customary panic about half way back when I realised that the wind had blown me well out to sea!! Almost a 90 deg turn to head for the finish. I had to turn and do a bit of back stroke at this stage to settle meself down. That worked, I turned back over and swam to the finish. My lead was well diminished of course but still I was first to hit dry land. Second place got out just behind me  - but still - there I was first out of the water.

Anyway, it was time to settle myself down so I took transition easy and took my time. second place headed out before me on the bike but I didn't panic and just did my own thing - until I got settled and headed off in chase. I passed and retook the lead and felt good. the course was two "ups and downs" of a main road with a roundabout each end so you always knew where you were and where others were.

The roundabout at the Port end was smooth paving and at the bottom of a steep hill - care needed here. I do this route in training so was prepared.

Held my lead till the end of the cycle and probably gained a bit. The start of the run was tough as usual, especially as the first bit was into the strong wind.

Anyway, I finished first and got a nice €75.00 voucher for an SMT - that'll be well used!!!.

Delighted with myself but it was only a training race and its a long way from an official event but the big gains were another big step in the OW swim direction.

Finishing time was 2.19, which in the strong wind wasn't too bad especially taking into account that it was a Sea swim, given my past experiences in the Sea.

LMH - I nearly got blown over a few times too - the bike was visibly blown out into the road a few times!!

Hey Alex - good to see you man!!

• Not only did he not drown he only went and bliddy won!

Well done Paddy - nice prize for an inter club non-race too.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Paddy...well done that man, love the bit which read "when I realised that the wind had blown me well out to sea!!"

Dustin - you wrote ". I'm still at a loss to understand however why you yearn for the top group, when there is a sea of lycra waiting for you to wade through..?" Yes, I would agree with that....some people just don't know when they are well off..

Thanks for the nice thought about my geriatric prospects. As I've often said, I've reached the stage in my running career where continuing success can only be achieved by outliving rather than outrunning the opposition.

Donaldo - 7M in 50:30 is a tidy effort for a training run. I think I recall, says he trying to be tactful, that your recent marathon disappointed you. Do you currently have anything lined up for the foreseeable future.

LMH - "time on the turbo". Are you currently concentrating on the bike for any upcoming Tri, or is it just a day away from battering the legs. For me "time on the turbot" means fish for tea - a pun so bad that Blisters would be proud of it.

For myself - 22 miles on the bike done in the wind. Living where I do on the Flatlands, I'm a bit of a weather watcher, so I knew it would be a bit of a bash....my running brain tells me its about effort rather than speed and that's definitely what it was this morning. The bike is a pretty functional hybrid - if I can work out how to attach a basket to the front it would become fully functional.

My current injury issue is a calf strain - a regular (about every six months) occurance. If I'm sensible I should be running on it in a couple of weeks. If I'm not sensible then it serves me bloody well right!

Realistically that's not my main concern. I made a reference to my rather dismal performances over the past few months. I think this is down to an inability to properly address biomechanical issues arising from my regularly occuring Sacro Iliac Joint problems. In short, hamstring weaknesses, inactive glutes and general poor levels of prioception (I think that's the right word). I've been spending more time on this, than running fruitless miles over the past few weeks...it would be nice if it paid off, though that would probably be a triumph of hope over expectation.

I've always suspected that the art of running poses more intellectual problems ( the old "experiment of one" syndrome) than it does physical challenges - solve the former and the latter will follow. Rather the opposite of the "grab them by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow."
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice one Paddy!

Good to see you Tom.

What: 37 mins off road plus another 15 walking. Muddy and undulating.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tri training mainly at the moment Tom. I had an extended period of running rehab a few years ago now with a physio who was very in to biomechanics and she solved an awful lot of my on going and recurring issues - it is doable.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Nice one Paddy Congrats on the win image

Tom tis good to see you back here

parkrun number 5 done  yeah its taken this long. I was wondering how I would do  fearful as I have a time  from last week even though i'm not targeting times  at the moment and I certainly won't improve week on week and a friend was there marshalling  who is a great supporter who is vocal she was cheering me  on and  as the distance  went on  I was thinking i'm not going to keep this up and  gee next week is going to be  damn difficult.

only about 50 runners which is good  its growing  so quite spread out  but  did have people to chase  miles ticked by, ok its  only a 5km  I know .....

1) 1m - 9:38(9:38/m) 119cal
    2) 1m - 9:23(9:23/m) 119cal
    3) 1m - 9:27(9:27/m) 120cal
    4) 0.11 - 44 seconds

unofficially 29:13 which is  2m 9s quicker than last week 27th (up 5 places)

Gave a  bit  of a  woohoo on the finish  line  which was noticed "better than a arrgghh"

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

paddy - awesome stuff, top marks fella!
    pammie - nicely done, a huge improvement on last week, woohoo merited! You're still 3 park runs ahead of me....

• and five ahead of me! Lovely to see progress like that Pammie - keep at it.

• Nice one paddy

Tom; the route followed for JOGLE can be seen on wwww.rideacrossbritain.com i didnt write anything sbout it but suffice to say it was hilly, wet and windy. Head wind the whole way, by day 5 it was head down and pedal. Day 7 was 122 miles from Ludlow to Wincanton into a gale in the rain, 11 hours on the road of which 9.5 werespent cycling, nearly di me thatbday, day 8 Was just as bad but shorter at 108 miles and a sense thatbthe end was in sight. Total 994 miles including the getting Lost bits in 9 days, next year LEJOG !

Bliisters; im in for the 1/2 at Henley

• Oh it has been a while, but boy, has it been worth the wait.

Ignoring the lyrics thing, we have some gold plated gems in terms of contributions from Dustin, Donaldo, Tom, Pammie and of course, top prize to Paddy. If it is of any interest to anyone, I'll probably take the Parkrun Prize. I've registered, but not yet turned up to any of them.

And now, ignoring my lack of training today, I'd like to do a Reduced Shakespeare Company on Paddy's entertaining review. All in the original words

The swim was different. Off we went, got to the turn, I was only in the lead to my surprise. About half way back I realised the wind had blown me well out to sea, but still - there I was first out of the water. Held my lead till the end of the cycle and probably gained a bit. The start of the run was tough as usual, especially as the first bit was into the strong wind. Anyway, I finished first. Delighted with myself but it was only a training race.

Within this report I could boil it down to an even shorter phrase:
    Anyway, I finished first.

Not bad for an epitaph.

As for me, just dont ask.