Trionium Midsummer Munro

Comments

• Very much watch this space. I ran over box hill each week fir the last week.  I was in my rosd trainers and it's been fine. However rainsis forecast  down here all week. 

• Cheers....will do.  Travelling down straight from work (in Liverpool) Friday evening to crash at Mr Yaps.  Will probably just bring both and see on the day.  Could always pop the thicker orthotics in the speedcross and hope for the best.....am praying for rain mind.....cramped up to buggary last weekend

• Im bringing both pairs,  will assess on the day.  Typical its baking hot now after weeks of lovely cool running weather

• Aye...there were a fair few dnfs at freckleton half over the weekend and at least one ambulance called out through heat related collapse! Good facilities provided but just too damn hot. Will be my first trionium event and have been warned its a heavy slog

• Weather forecast suggests it might rain, so that will take the heat out the air if it does. It is a heavy slog Shaun, but the medal at the end, the knowing of completing a really tough race is worth it. It is fun though, there is no race like it, and even though I was in agony last year, I am still coming back this year. It is worth it.

• Sounds good. Have a few trail halves under belt this year but nothing near the hills on this I don't think. Already six toenails down on the marathon training so in for a penny methinks

• Hey people

My brother has dropped out due to achillies injury, so got a place up for grabs (just checking with Rob first on info he needs).

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Weather looks set fair for tomorrow. About 18 degrees, sunny intervals, chance of showers. I'll buy that.

My quads are already twitching anxiously.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

He he he... good luck everyone!

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

It's going to be a great day... mind how you go!

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Urgh - wet out there! Slippy too.

• What is the advice please from experienced runners out there? 

Normal gym shoes or old worn out road shoes? Or mudclaws (guessing not enough mud around for mudclaws)?

Thanks!

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Forecast is for it to be drying up during the race (no rain forecast for duration of the race), but it will be slippy. Normal trainers would suffice (studs and spikes are not needed). Mudclaws would be a bit OTT.... but up to you. Others may have different advice... (I'd do it in ordinary trainers).

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

In past years the weather was dry so the ground was firm to good although there can be some softer areas especially under the tree cover.

In between the steps there is a fair amount of running to be had along the trails.

I think this year I'll bring the Adidas Kanadias (cheap off-road shoe good for firm trails).

• Thank you, gentlemen.

I am an inexperienced runner, so do not have trail / fell shoes, yet. Normal trainers it is!

Looking forward to this afternoon. Thanks again.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone.  It's a FABULOUS race.  Gutted not to be there...

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Cheers HappyChap - good luck with the Polesden Lacey 10k tomorrow!

Well done to all participants and huge thanks to all the marshals. Results, photos and video will be up by Monday morning latest.

• Fantastic experience, thank you!

• Cheers for a fantastic event Dr Rob! Definately one for next years diaryimage

Well done Derrick on your first half you mad fast b*****d!

• ha ha ha ha! what a laugh!

I've done the Picnic twice but never the Monro. 'stepping down' to the half isn't as easy as you think, you just push harder and that last foray into the steps is as unpleasant as it gets!

thanks Rob and the marshalls!

• My first Munro today, together with Dr. Rob's niece, Sophie. We had a fabulous time, nattering all the way round, working together as a team. This most certainly was the hardest run that I have ever done but it was all very worth it. Thank you, Sophie, for the great company and a BIG well done to you for completing your very first half-marathon!!!! All your future halfs will no doubt be a lot easier than today's. Thank you, Dr. Rob, and all your wonderfully cheerful helpers for giving us all such a great day! I shall return. image

• I can Honestly say, that was the hardest run ive done. Thank you so much for giving me a last min place. Those last set of steps on the last mile are perverted! how do you sleep!

See you next year, thanks again.

• I realised last year when I did this race, that the only way to get through it, is to just enjoy it, not see it as a race in the traditional sense, where you are trying to get a certain time. It was just pure endurance, about keeping going, and being amongst some great people.

Races like Brighton half have their place but never do you get a sense of achievement like you do in this race, to have conquered the hill.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The morning after the evening before, and the rigor mortis is setting into my legs as I type. Two to three days of fearing the stairs beckon ...

A great day out as ever and thanks go to Dr Rob and assorted family members and the marshals for their hard work. I thought that on my fourth attempt this would be my year to crack 2 and a half hours but no, just 3 minutes over. I suppose I'll just have to come back next year and try again.

What was the deal with the bloke running barefoot and carrying his shoes? Must be a story there ...

• Muttley wrote (see)

The morning after the evening before, and the rigor mortis is setting into my legs as I type. Two to three days of fearing the stairs beckon ...

A great day out as ever and thanks go to Dr Rob and assorted family members and the marshals for their hard work. I thought that on my fourth attempt this would be my year to crack 2 and a half hours but no, just 3 minutes over. I suppose I'll just have to come back next year and try again.

What was the deal with the bloke running barefoot and carrying his shoes? Must be a story there ...

I saw that guy too. Could only figure his shoes were hurting more to wear them. I just got under the 2 and a half hour mark, but I owe it to this guy who I chatted too in the final bit, he got me through the last mile with his words of encouragement.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

The 'barefoot runner' did not intend to run barefoot: One of his shoes disintegrated at mile 5 and he decided to take them both off and go for it barefoot. He said it 'wasn't too bad' (wtf?!) apart from the section from the top of the steps to the mad major's grave, where there is 100m of razor-sharp flints to run over. Holy moly.

• I bet he drinks Carling Black Label...

• excellent event as always Dr Rob.  Every year the notion that we run at 4pm to avoid the 'heat of the day' turns out to be somewhat laughable!  Could have done with night vision goggles under the trees. Note to self - run faster next year.  My 4th munro & I will be back next year.  Thanks to you, all your helpers, and the marshalls.  Especially whoever it is that does all the finish line cooking.