Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

IC, recovery from injuries can take various paths. In my early days I was bothered by damage to where my achilles was attached at the heel. I mucked around for what seemed like weeks on end but no improvement.

Then I caught the flu followed by a lung infection that stopped me moving, let alone running. So several weeks of inactivity later I tried the usual jog about the house and of the injury. No sign. Gone never to return.

Sometimes it pays to leave well alone. Then again, sometimes not.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

is SG just injured? Can someone throw some light on the subject. what's with all the secrecy? 

Me, we'll I've seen every hour on the clock today due to tears, tantrums, feeding, winding and changing. It's cold, wet, windy, i'm dreading the race but it'll be a track PB no matter what. image 

• SG is dropping hints on FB about being injured but is also dropping hints about doing small doubles. His usual loop is on the road home and I have not seen him out onthere for a while: and in the weatehr we have being having recently he does so topless so it is noticeable.

Off for a wet parkrun and then OCD padding tomorrow to make the week up to 40. 18 at the moment so need 22 in 2 days.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think SG is just sulking because no-one was impressed by his Fight Club reference. He'll be back.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, injured! possibly.

The last time he went awol was after some reference about race shoes; with no mention of an injury I can recall.

70 miles in the last 6 days for me. Being self employed with a start time of 9:15am at the earliest and 4 miles the furthest I need to travel from home to any job means that I'm essentially a full time runner.

The full time bit being the early morning slot I choose to train in to avoid meeting school traffic and general rush hour desperado's. Running again later is the last thing I want to do. Finish work, go home, stay home, eat, sleep. That'll do me.

🙂

• Got the Lymm 5k this afternoon.

I'm hoping the rain holds off. Would love to get a PB but people tell me it's a slow course.  I checked the profile and the first mile is downhill then steady climb of 200ft..

Would that slow me down much?! Dunno... Probably.

I set a 17:09 pb the other week at Bowdon and would love to knock 10secs off that. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Downhill start is exactly what you want Tim, gets you up to speed without to much strain.

Whereas an uphill from the word go just puts you right in the red zone, difficult to accelerate out of.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

he does so topless so it is noticeable.

Thanks big boy imageimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG. Lives image

🙂

• Ric, do you reckon I should just go hell for leather and sub 3min first k?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Now then, now then, relax everyone, I just thought i'd sneak off for a week or so.

Gots myself a bit of a pelvis weakness (which was showing itself as a stomach ache), and while I'm still doing 45mile weeks, it's all a bit tedious with the easy paced stuff, combined with tons of strengthening!

One of those weaknesses you fear will never go, but hopefully one day will!

In my brief absence, well played indeed to Dean for that very low 16 on the track and a great mile. (maybe a cracking 800 in there too I forget now!),

Johnas, very tasty 10k indeed, and I'm sure if we were head to head you'd be a nidger's nadge ahead of me now, as I had the luxury of a fast field to do my slightly faster 10k time.

See-man, good mile benchmark, probably one of those distances you need 2-3 cracks at to race an optimum one, Am certain you'll get nicely under that 5.00.

Bus, enjoy the small holiday.

Dachs, nice Ridgewaying, and that tempo made my pelvis ache!

Tim Nattajack, you're getting that 5k down well too.

Matt, good arrangement with the wife and newborn!

Litsy, well, I've probably spoken enough off the forum with you to need a post here!

DT2, Luvsa, Mee Meep, UG, how you all doing? You can't just disappear you know image

Ric, I'm expecting when I next see you, that you'll have the build of some kind of rake. I've never heard a runner of your lack of weight talk about weight so much image

ps ta for the many off forum messages of concern and support while I've been "holidaying", much apprecie!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I did briefly consider switching from runner to Friday/saturday night animal, but a late one (by my standards) last night, showed me how rubbish I am at that.

If Run Britain did rankings for how well you handle late nights i'd probably come out about 60 millionth in the country

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps northern chaps, Watford also do a mile. If you're considering Oxford, maybe Watford isn't out of your range?

We could have a right thread night out if we all targeted one location and meet, even if some of us did different events....

just let me get 100% first!!

Who else would be up for it?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, not a post for days, then three come along at once. Reminds me, where's Bus?

Tim, I wouldn't go so far as 'hell for leather'. Experience has led me to believe that the opening burst should only be conducted for a few seconds before pegging back the speed.

Unless leading the race, its at this point where those who 'race all out' from the start, appear to be getting away. Ignore them and concentrate on your own tempo. You will find that after a couple of minutes, runners start coming back. After 10 minutes just about anyone else comes back too, if pushing the pace too hard.

I'd try to accelerate gradually to race speed over the course of a couple of minutes. Difficult but effective.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep Ric, it's the classic be careful what you wish for scenario.

Now you've coaxed me back, you've got to endure an utter mammoth stack of posts.

Nice normal 6miler. steep woods to start, 8.40 first mile, then a 7.04 average for the last 5.

ps Seb, realised about 1mile in I'd missed you from the little roundup....cracking 5miler. Sorry to hear about the housemate! Horrendous scenes! Hope the running takes your mind off that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

about 1/2mile from home, I remembered how a pal marshalled there on the Wycombe race one year for my old club.

Having given up the reigns of Club race organiser that year, but liking to see it go smoothly, I was quite shocked that they were awarding 30 club points for anyone marshalling the race!

Bearing in mind the system was 30points for 1st club runner home, 29 for 2nd etc, to give 30 for anyone merely marshalling was amazing!

In the end sense kicked in, and they gave the points of the last finisher...which I think was 20. Slightly more sensible!

• Cheers Ric, I'll bear that in mind.. 

Looks windy out so not sure about this.. Pre race nerves setting in already!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, that's more like it. I'll await the avalanche of posts with interest.image

Good luck Tim.

🙂

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Welcome back SG image

Good luck to everyone racing today.  

8x 400m @5k pace (45 recovery) all done in 78/79 followed by 20 mins threshold for me this morning.

The wind was horrendous with cross winds on the bends and head on in the home straight. That only gave me a tail wind on the back straight - tough session but averaged 5.50 per mile for 20mins of threshold so I'll take that in the conditions

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

ps northern chaps, Watford also do a mile. If you're considering Oxford, maybe Watford isn't out of your range?

We could have a right thread night out if we all targeted one location and meet, even if some of us did different events....

just let me get 100% first!!

Who else would be up for it?

I'd be up for a mile at Watford. Oxford is on a Saturday so not a bad day as it provides little upset to the weekly routine. Will see how the 1500 on Tuesday goes.

Tim, good luck at Lymm. The first K is downhill and it's totally crazy, the rest of the course is horrible. Up and down, up and down. Least you get cake at the end though!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Welcome back SG and thanks everyone who wished well on the housemate situation. running has certainly kept me going and things are returning to some normality.

Great racing everyone, not been able to get online last week whilst away, broke my Tablet by smashing the screen image so not read everything.

Great 10K Johnas and smashing Miles from Dean and SS. 5mins and half a second! Unlucky Stevie! All time rankings eh Dean, brilliant! Just the start of many more hopefully! When are the Watford mile races? cant find any.. might be up for that! Good racing Dachs and Ric.

Ric your getting is sime mileage with those early runs and it looks like its paying some dividends now. Im just the opposite though, do some jobs early doors and do all the running in the afternoon/evenings apart from Sundays, I believe in being cautious in all races with regards to not starting too swiftly, it just ends painfully and is not so effective.

Did my old hometown 5mile race last night. Its got the first mile and a bit round the local park on grass then goes on country roads and up 1 average hill before coming back into the park for the finish. So its now classed as MT. Ran 27:5X again which got me 3rd place, on a tougher course than the other week, so my first proper race podium in a road type race, happy with that. Ran on my own after 1mile aswell and couldnt close 2nd down up the hill so just worked hard and ran my own race.

Recovery 5mile done just now, then Birthday 10mile Obstacle race tomorrow.

Good luck anyone racing!

• When is the Watford mile? I can't find that on-line, all I can find is the open meetings at 1500 and 3000m

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thanks Seb, noticed some finger issues on your keypad, curious about how the broken screen came about.

Your race times resemble mine a few years back. I once ran a 5 miler in 27:40 only 3 hours after a 32 mile bike ride. Those were the days.

The high mileage has a purpose which is to burn off fat. To do that means running without much; if any real effort. If I start booting the pace I make in-roads into my glycogen stores which is the last thing I want. I need those when I smash the sessions.

Another reference to weight is how glycogen holds its own supply of water. The hill session I conduct as part of a 10 mile run can drop a good 2kg without any fall off in effectiveness. 

The only upside/downside of this is having to scoff 750g of carbo over the following couple of days while jogging about.

Next session planned for me involves a road nearly half a mile long, dead straight, hardly any traffic but with an elevation difference of about 30 feet from one end to the other.

It'll be quick on the way back down.

🙂

• Back from Lymm.

That was a tough course.

Started fast as per Ric's advise, 1st k in 3:04, was downhill.. It got tough from there on.. Kept the lead group in sight for a while but lost my pace on the hills.

Found it very tough and finished in 17:18. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done Tim. Much to be gained from this. Best thing is that you had some sort of plan in place.

Most of us have to employ a race plan since we aren't quick enough to hold the front and use tactics.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Well done Tim. Not far off a PB on what appears to be an undulating course. 

I was a fish out of water at the northern 5000m champs. Got a rude awakening when I saw the whole set up and how professional it all was. Everybody just looked quick!!!! Ha. Was great to be part of a race like that. Decided I would go off around 77/78 lap pace and see how it went. There was 22 runners so they decided that those who were sub 15.10 would go on the front row. :-/ that left about 8 of us on the back row. 

Off we go and after a brisk 72 first lap I was leading the very back group of 4 people. We were way off the pace even then! first km in 3.06 and at at round half way two behind me dropped out. I kept thonling that some runners may come back me as the race went on but it never happened. That left me leading another chap at the very back. There was a tough head wind up the back straight with no protection from anyone. as I crossed the line with 3 laps left I was lapped by 1st 2nd and 3rd But just tried to keep pressing on. I ended hold about 15-20 metres up on the back runner and crossed the line in 16.20. Pretty content with it as its my first track race and others were saying their times were down due to the wind. Maybe with someone to chase and some more work I'm pretty confident a sub 16 isn't to Far away. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Thinking not thonling. Ha. Steve jobs again

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

DT2, Luvsa, Mee Meep, UG, how you all doing? You can't just disappear you know image

Still lurking SGimage   After seeing a physio & my own GP I'm waiting to have a bone scan on my right shin.  

Physio reckons I've got some bone abnormality, and not a simple splint or compartment syndrome. There's a permanent bump on the tibia which only gets painful along a small section after 20 odd easy miles in a week or straight after any tempo/speed session.  But then pain usually disappears completely after 24-48 hrs. No pain from normal walking, so I haven't got the foggiestimage

Time will tell no doubt.  It would be nice to do a race this year.  Hope all your niggles are just niggles!..

• Matt... Great stuff!  I was watching the European team 5000m before that I recorded.

Looking forward to trying a track meet this summer. How do you feel the pain compared to a road 5k?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I didn't think there was a lot in it. It's just the laps that can obviously feel like an eternity and I find with it being pancake flat, the effort is constant. There's no little undulations to let the legs go if even for a short while.