Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• I have done 2 OW swims this week..........2 fast runs............1 slow walk.............and I will be on my bike tonight for alonbg ride in the dark to do a swim in the sea at dawn.then a long ride to arrive back in time for the 10k race........and then taper can begin image

• who me.......I forgot  did a fast 23 miler on the bike this week as well...........this migfht be my biggest training week for the last couple of monthsimage

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

agreed, Nutter

sounds nice though, wish I was close enough to the sea to do that.

• Come in #536...your time is up!

Did my 4 hour / 125km bike route this morning. Managed it in 3h:49m, averaging 33kmph. VVVV happy with that!

Honestly, I am following Fink to the letter and not even a whiff of taper yet. 2hr run tomorrow!

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Come in #536...your time is up!

image I did a o/w 3k swim event this morning and had just been saying similar to myself as I washed the number 30 from my hand.

Now letting my lunch go down whilst trying to decide wether its a 2 hour run, short bike this afternoon or 4 hr bike short run.

number 816 needs to make his mind up and do one or the other

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Come in #536...your time is up!

Did my 4 hour / 125km bike route this morning. Managed it in 3h:49m, averaging 33kmph. VVVV happy with that!

Honestly, I am following Fink to the letter and not even a whiff of taper yet. 2hr run tomorrow!

image was that on the local hills as well? Inpressive image

• No hills...down through Hazel Grove, Poynton, out to Holmes Chapel, Kidsgrove, Congelton, Macc and then back via the A6.

New 60mm clinchers made the cross winds "interesting" read terrifying!!!!

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Number 881 - HELP!

Anyone else doing "just finish" and now bricking it, as it seems so close?

Still worried about all the cut offs, not done distance in swim yet, planning 2 o/w swims this week after work - hopefully one will be full distance but not sure i can make 2hr cut off, then onto bike and try and keep above 15mph?? then shuffle.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

TJ I've not done the swim yet as just can't squeeze that last 0.4 mile into our 2hr swim sessions. Managed my 2nd ever 2 miler this morning though, so I will crack it. This morning excuse is it was cold raining and windy so quite choppy for half if each lap. 

I'm not planning on tapering the swim will that be OK?

Flat out in the Fens tomorrow is worrying as I'm knackered after this peak week training and the weathers going to be bad. Ah we'll I shall give it a go got to be up say silly o'clock again. 

• I'm feeling strangely calm. What's wrong with me image ?

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'm feeling strangely calm. What's wrong with me image ?

Fabulous mentor??    image

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

AliBear I'm not tapering swim either just back off in last week.

Had to plan swim training very carefully as too much and damage shoulder and out for month at atime due to wear and tear from being a kid. So last few weeks building slowly, now up to 2 /2.5k in intervals roughly around 2.37 pace. If no time limits I couldeasily do whole lot breastroke but that isnt fun in a wetsuit so f/c it is and manage the shoulder.

When you see a pirate out of the swim at the back with a massive smile like they have won the blinking thing that will be me!!Otherwise extra help for feed station!!!

• I wouldn't wory about doing the distance pre race..........I hadn't gone further than about 2k before my first ironman...........I have only gone over 3k a handful of times in my life..the 3 ironman races.the 1 double and a 5k charity swim......

on the day just keep folowing everyone else until they let you outimage

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

No hills...down through Hazel Grove, Poynton, out to Holmes Chapel, Kidsgrove, Congelton, Macc and then back via the A6.

New 60mm clinchers made the cross winds "interesting" read terrifying!!!!

image Thank funk for that I was just trying to work out how? Still bloody good mate.

TJ Don't worry and trust yourself getting in some open water at this point is a good idea but I wouldn't hammer it. 2 weeks out overtraining is far worse than undertraining.

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'm feeling strangely calm. What's wrong with me image ?

Fabulous mentor??    image

That's it! image

• anyone else feeling a bit more concerned now they have their race number.  I started on fink intermediate but it went out the window after a couple of months.  Have done what I can.  virtually no swim training but can do a 1hr30 in the pool.  Did a 3hr43 marathon the back end of last year and I'm pretty poor on the bike but am pacing it and staying at HR Z2 the whole way round.  Well that's the plan anyway!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Not worried at all about the swim, but even though I'll be out of the water and t1 in I'd have thought 1:30 at worst, my cycling is SO slow I'm still worried about the bike cut off, especially if I puncture or have some other mechanicalissue.

Ill be even slower if its cold or windy...

Had a bad ride today. Sciatica playing up so moved deat forward - which helped a lot, but made Grammy knee on the other side play up. Then something on the bike started to rattle. ...

Tried a brick but heart not in it and sciatica leg felt weird so it was only a mile in the end.

Now cross with myself.

Not excited or nervous today. Just demoralised and feeling a bit broken

• K9..you should rest .thats what your body is telling you.after tomorrow all I will do in the final 2 weeks is one swim and maybe a short bike or run.nothing much but lots of rest.I always prefer to get to the start line rested ..not a traditional taper but it works for me....

You will be fine on th ewday as long as you don't go made and get injured in the next 2 weeks......

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Mind you..I've honestly felt utterly negative from the word go about this.

The training - although not much more than what I would usually do - has felt really arduous, and made me get slower and slower rather than faster.

I feel less fit than I felt this time last year which I can't understand

All I can think about is getting this over and done with so I can get on with my life..

Surely I should be excited and apprehensive.whats going on?

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Just read serens post! 

Im sure you are right.

If I rested for a week or two, I'd be utterly champing at the bIt, stir crazy!!!!!

Ill do it (ish)

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Also..

What is everyone's view on alcohol?

I only drink red wine, but would happily have it every day with dinner, and deliberately have wine free days (or I'd be yellow in 15 years).

I really don't feel any different with or without it as along as its less than half a bottle (!) and not late.

Been on holiday for the last week so not many alcohol free days recently. 

Should I be making more of an effort to abstain in the next 2 weeks? Or do I carry On as normalgiven Ifeel more chilled after a glass in the evening?!

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    K9 wrote (see)

Also..

What is everyone's view on alcohol?

I've been trying to not drink too much but now that you mentioned it image

• Ozzy287 wrote (see)

anyone else feeling a bit more concerned now they have their race number.  I started on fink intermediate but it went out the window after a couple of months.  Have done what I can.  virtually no swim training but can do a 1hr30 in the pool.  Did a 3hr43 marathon the back end of last year and I'm pretty poor on the bike but am pacing it and staying at HR Z2 the whole way round.  Well that's the plan anyway!

sounds familiar ozzy...I''m in pretty much the same boat. Too late to go back now though so just enjoy it.

• Have a glass or two K9 - I always have a glass with my dinner the night before an IM!

Time to kick back and consolidate, physiological adaptations take two weeks so too late to make any gains training wise but plenty of time to injure yourself. Whilst not quite as extreme as Seren I also have a very aggressive taper to ensure that I reach the start line fresh as I carry a lot of residual fatigue. I also recognise your 'just want to get it over' mentality - but you'll feel differently when you cross that finish line.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

I hope so LMH..

Live wanted to do an IM for years but injury has always stooped me doing the run training.

This time, although I've got this'd far, it's been stuttering alongwith injury always hovering. I've been constantly worrying and stalling, but not enough to allow myself to give up!

-anyway - here I am. Tired, slow, negative and demoralised!! I did love my alps trip, but recognised it was the first training I'd actually properly enjoyed in ages.

I love my sports but don't feel I'm actually properly getting to enjoy them at present

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Sorry for typos...

I-pad keeps changing what I type

• k9

dont worry about the wine... ts a mucle relaxant.  I normally have a couple pre race......   

re beeing buggered.  taper time.  go easy for 2 weeks and see what happens.
    do 3-4 hour ride next weekend, a couple of 30 min runs and let the body recover / feel refreshed.  my last 6 days pre lnza were...

Mon - rest
    Tue  1 hr swim, 2hr ride, 30 min run
    WED - rest
    thur- 1 hr swim, 1 hr rise, 20 min run
    fri rest
    sat - race day

the taper is all about recovery and 2 weeks is ideal, (3 is too long in my personal opinion).  IM training is long, boring arduous and hard.  and it wears you down  

you are not fast.... but you are strong and efficient.  you can keep going whereas the 'fast' people collapse after 2 hours.  
    cruise the swim, be strong on the bike, ( if you can ride the alps then whats a head wind???) then find an easy pace and just keep moving forward on the run.

i look forward to shouting at you as you cross the line.