Shrewsbury Marathon

Comments

• All race ready now, just need a good night sleep!

just been out and done a drive around town, cones everywhere, we may have to weave around them !!

frankwell car park is huge and approach from welsh side of town To avoid closed roads.

abbey Foregate car park will be open too but approach from motorway / English side of town, I will be parking here.

the town is easy to get around as bypass around it so can get from one side to other in 15 mins max using bypass.

i will be in quarry park from 8am and will have orange Adidas t on with SHREK on the back, be sure to say hello !

good luck everyone, look forward to the reports afterwards

• Carefull to go in the "main" Frankwell carpark as this is unrestricted whereas the riverside Frankwell is only up to 3 hrs.

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Thanks Shrek - I'm just back in Mold from a birthday party in Llangollen , I never sleep well day before a race anyway! My alarm will go off in 5 3/4 hrs for porridge. Hope to leave by 6:20 to get to Frankwell by 0730 . Yes Foz the main car park - which as folks say is the huge one ! Sleep well , sweet dreams.

I'll Br running in a Welsh dragon Vest number 2326 it's my 26th marathon, so I can dedicate a mile to all my previous !,, 

• Good morning all.

looks like its going to be a nice day for the race.

wrexhamrob, don't forget the .2 miles at the end image

26 maras, well done. I've done 2 and hope to do 10 by the time I'm 50 so just 8 to go !

see u all in the quarry very soon. Excited.Com now. Good ljack everyone

0550hrs it's porridge o clock on marafun day. Hmm Tis fair bit of rain here in Mold. See you all soon . 

• Well that was fun image

fantastic run, very enjoyable and given my wonky knee a reasonable time, bang on my predicted time so happy.

some improvements for next year :

1. More marshals, I am local so knew the route but on some junctions there were no marshals and a bi. Confusing.

2. Keep pedestrians off the course image especially dog walkers.

3. The finish was no less than shambolic as this should be funnelled and runners only until clear of t shirts etc.

however overall a great race and will be there again next year.

• Pfft well disaster for me, had to give up just before 21 miles as I had been reduced to a slow shuffle.  Cross-training just doesn't cut it I guess.  Hope the rest of you got what you wanted.

25min wait, steep slopes, switchbacks, thousands of slow half-marathon runners in the way all didn't help.  They really need to get there act together if they are to do another one

• Sorry to hear that Keith, I ran the half marathon today on what I thought was a tough course, clocked a 1:23 and placed 21st, happy with that considering the course, the dodging and weaving between runners and the switchbacks.  Would I do it again?? probably not.  WrexhamRob, thanks for the shout, I was in the Deestriders vest.

• Great to be back in Shrewsbury for the first time In years after working at The Dana many moons ago.

I really enjoyed the race but a few improvements are definitely needed, a bit more imagination within The Quarry for a start, running up and down a very narrow funnel numerous times is one area that requires more imagination. 

Whoever put the cones down on the route obviosuly has a very high IQ level as the puzzle of which side to stay on got the better of me at times. Some areas of the route got very narrow and congested - at times there seemed to be more fun runners than actual trained mararhon runners, numerous people walking after 3 miles wasn't good especially when they hogged the narrow lanes. I wont even mention the amount of people zigzagging as they bopped to whatever was on their iPods.

More marshals are required as stated above.

Delayed start not good but it happens so not really overly concerned by that.

No display clock at the finish needs addressing as well.

Saying all that I did enjoy it, probably becuase i fot a pb, and it's nice to see Shrewsbury put something like this on.

Would I do it again - probably not but I would recommend that those who didn't do it give it a try especially if the organisers learn from the teething problems.

• I live in Shrewsbury and so had thankfully had time to practice on the route and managed to complete the half marathon in 1hr 59mins (which I'm really pleased with as currently 18 weeks pregnant!)

I've previously completed Bristol, Bleinham palace, Chester and Birmingham half marathons with a 1hr 43min PB and really hope the organisers for this race learn some lessons from these bigger races and change the course dramatically for next year.

I didn't mind the hills, quite enjoy them, but the narrowness and congestion in soooo many places around the course was ridiculous. I felt really sorry for the lead marathon runners and the cyclists trying to guide them through as their frustration was evident. The 3 lanes along the river was madness and runners still hadn't spread out much on the 2nd lap.

The finishing line was awful, and dangerous to those people who may have needed medical assistance but who would have got lost in the crowds. All they needed to do was put barriers up to keep supporters away until closer to the bridge and funnel the runners through to collect their bags, water etc.

Positives: Shrewsbury is a great running town and with a total change of course (wider), then even more runners could partake and enjoy. The medal and T-shirt were lovely, the people on the water stations (mainly volunteers I think) were fab and worked very hard to attempt to keep runners hydrated.

• Anyone know when and where official times and photographs will be posted?

• Keith, I understand your frustrations but don't blame othrun refers, we stick together.

slow, fast, fat or thin we are arun runners.

the issue was the course and this is what the organisers need to address, we should encourage more runners and not aim to put people comments regarding the slower runners.

• Well done Shrek, Darren, Sara, craig, andy. Sorry to hear that keith. Rob?

Agree with the poor organisation, which I sort of expected / dreaded with it being the first in Shrewsbury and agree that the crowds and the beautiful town did the best to compensate. I lost track completely of what the hell pace I was running with the laps, hills and sometimes confusing mile markers. Do know I did the first 10 in 90.11 but then cracked on. Needed to do the last 1.2 miles in 10 minutes to get my dream target of 3.49, and managed it!

• That is fantastic Egyptian Toe! I imagine your last lap was fab with all of us halfers out of the way image. 3.49 is a great achievement and especially on that course!

• Agree qith comments about course, but all in all quite good and I managed  a pb of 3.43!

• Thanks Sara. There were still plenty of HMers on my last lap TBH but it was fun as it was my quickest lap!

Well done Paul!

• Well done to every runner that took part today, a great achievement on such a challenging course. I was just spectating for this one but agree with comments about organisation. The cone placement and signage were poor, and in the Quarry park many Marathon runners were having to dodge pedestrians on the route. Shrewsbury can easily take a two lap marathon or even a one lap event with a little imagination, Chester is a fine example of this but that Marathon is organised by runners for runners not by a business. Still as a runner and a proud Salopian I am so pleased to see this kind of event in the town....GREAT JOB RUNNERS

• Ran the marathon today, will never run it again!!

Was like an obstacle course, dodging OAP's in the middle of the road, people queuing for coffee in the park, push chairs, mobility scooters and others runners on the zig-zag section, 2500 runners in 1.5 miles does not go!

To top if off a wall of random people stood on the finish line??? then a queue for your race pack!

The only good point was a PB with a sub 3 Hr which was a miracle as the route is hilly and narrow with cobble like surface in parts.

• Looking at the lack of marshals and the delayed start, I'm wondering if we came close to not running at all. Fair play to them for eventually getting it on.

• Gareth, when I was finishing there was an old fella just strolling down the middle zig zag totally oblivious to what was going on. Unbelievable at times.

• I ran the half today and enjoyed it just for the fact that I enjoy running events. I found my way without any problems. I agree with everyone else about the course, it really was too narrow and the switchbacks in the quarry were terrible. I don't like a switchback at the best of times but today took the biscuit!  The finish was a shambles but thats an easy fix.

My time was 1:49.18 (401st place!) which I'd say was a reflection of the conditions and course, my PB is 1:43 and I'm aming for sub 1:40. My training has been affected of late though with a bad knee so all in all I'm happy.

I'd imagine the course was very much dictated by the coucil and police, as it was the first year I'd put money on them not wanting too much traffic disruption and the route kept small scale. I hope this was the case as I'd like to give the organisers the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure that now they know that numbers wise it was a success next year will we the course opened out into one loop and organised far better.

Not that I think any runner has to justify their place in the event but I'd guess that as it was Shrewsbury's first even I think plenty of locals entered who perhaps don't run much. This would account for the early walkers however the course only helped to magnify the obsticles.  We all need to stick together as runners whatever our level.

I'll look forward to seeing the course for next year and with changes I'd be happy to come back to Shrewsbury. Its a lovely town and I enjoyed a bit of shopping post race and a bite to eat!

wow what a day - on the whole very enjoyable for my 26th time around 26.2. I've blogged a bit here; (apologies for the formatting , i ve not used the blog for a while).  I finished in 4hr29 pleasing - My fastest since about 9 races ago a 4hr24 in LLanelli March 2011.

Great to have lots of banter with other marathoners on lap 3 & 4 - i must have had a boost from my caffeine gel on last lap - didnt slow as much as others- thanks Shrewsbury Chris, Chap in Shewsbury Town FC shirt , group of runners with Rosemary (?) , Rooney top, Lampart top, and others.

... till next time 

Overall i'd give the organisers a 7.5/10 for effort. I quite enjoyed the laps and switchbacks- once i'd got my head around that Quary one - its a great way to see other runners. 

Yes they could gain a lot from the organisation of Chester- but i thinks laps like this is a nice change.

There are LOTS of oo what if etc - as the lanes were narrow, as others have said there were some bits unmarked - top of the quarry, i was really nervous that runners in the half would take all the water- a dister on a hotter day. But despite all this it seemed largely ok.

If it was run again on the same course- yes i'd probably give it a go. I didnt realy know Shrewsbury as a town - looks a nice place to have a wander.

Oh yes please improve the finish - have a funnel , yes it may have seemed  a nice idea at the time to shake hands and meet the mayor - but right at the finish - what were they thinking, and just after that , i was haunched over deciding whether i was ok - and various ? of his flunkies were just standing around in the way !.

Will i get an official  time - the timing chip is here at home - (yes it was on my shoe for the race) having stayed on my shoe all way home ! Chip on number please.

Baggage storage - seemed to work - very busy to drop off, quiet when i reclaimed . Would Not work with a few more runners. 

• Was only spectating and really felt for the marathon runners who had to dodge all the people exiting the quarry, many of them having run the half and then having no decency to leave space for marathoners to pass on the inside line! There had been marshalls there when the number of runners was high but they seemed to dissapear as soon as they thought they weren't needed.

Well done to all who completed.

• Was there any official photographer? link?

• Not one to use this site but hearing reports of lots of cheating & wondered what it was all about ?

• Wrexham Rob, many thanks for ya encouragement today - much appreciated buddy. Great time for ya there and hey hope to catch up again soon.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Only cheating themselves if it is the case Foxy.