Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools  - that will be some going in three days!
    AR - take care now.
    Ant - Therèse Raquin was the first Zola I read and it's excellent.
    Just about to set off on my sub 3:15. Weather looks atrocious.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

0302? Out-Gulled himself.  Respect.   Someone call Guinness World Records.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Hi Poacher. Just got back. 16 slow miles d&d - longest run in nearly 2 years. 53 miles this week - highest in over 3 years. Now drying out. image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good effort that man. And get entering that marathon. You are more than ready to race

• Gul - Well done on that sub-3:15!! And not just a run round the block, a 16-miler! What time had you gone to bed?

Blisters, yesterday

Actually, no laughing matter - hope domestic life is happier for you soon. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Now getting some breakfast - can't seem to logout?
    Poacher - I'm in the VLM ballot and trying to decide on a backup.
    Ant - later than intended - about 10:30, I think.

• Gul, love the concept of a sub 3:15 being a run you start before 3:15 am!

Off for a wet parkrun.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done Gul image Legend.

• Well, did a 6-miler in glorious sunshine and the foot felt much better. I don't think I've lost any fitness, either - in fact my legs were fresher and looser than they've been for a while. May this be a lesson to anyone worried about taking a few days' break from running.

The really amazing thing was that it was sunny!image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - great news on the foot.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get my head around being up in time for a run before 3.15am and yet having been to bed.  So little sleep!  Gul: psychiatric assessment team are en route.

Ant: good news about the foot.

10M including parkrun for me.  Conditions were a little windy so fairly pleased with 20.25 or thereabouts: not a course pb (that's a frustrating 20.01) but a sign I'm in reasonable shape, especially as it was my best descent: 5.30m/m for the third mile and 5.16m/m for the last 0.1 as I kicked to ensure I remained 2nd lady!

• Ah, bookmarks are back and I've found you all again. What happened there? 

Did barcode scanning at parkrun this morning and will be heading out in the wind and rain for a 14 - 15 miler a bit later. Then I get to have tomorrow off before I start my 12 week training block for the GNR. 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Gul. image  Thread nutter for June, but lets watch out for SJ as he hits the taper madness.

Good to here your progress Ant.

Sore hamstring meant a switch to the rower this morning and did a 13.1 mile paddle in about 1:38.  Freshly laundered kit now on and about to do some recovery miles.

Any one used Kayanos before. Startinh to run out of my cheap 1170s and will be looking to get some GT1000s but noticed a few good deals on Kayanos recently. This was he shoe Asics recommended to me - probably because they are expensive at full price?

• SJ is going to have to go some to topple Gul off the "nutter of the week" perch. That was sheer lunacy!

No idea what's happening about the bookmarks - sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not.

OKish parkrun for me - the rain held off, but it was a bit blustery and (yet again) I struggled on the 3rd K before picking things back up on the run in to finish in about 19:40. Consolation of being 1st in my age category.

Might treat myself to a pair of new racing shoes - I've got a pair of Mizuno Wave Elixirs, but does anyone have any experience of Wave Mushas, Wave Ronins or Wave Universes?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Can't beat Gul for Nutter of the Week but did a treadmill HM today image in an airless hot humid room, lost quite a bit weight in fluids.

Nice runs Joolska, Ant, Lorenzo and no doubt more.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul you are the man!

Very pleased to hear about your foot Ant. There is nothing worse than a foot injury.

18:45 for me at the parkrun, 4th overall. Bit disappointed with the time though.   

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

my bookmarks are sh*gged too. Try saving the thread to your favourites.

• AR
    I've used Kayanos in the past, once. Nice enough shoe (being nice to them) but heavy, HEAVY, They are built for comfort, not for speed. The whole concept is to throw every design idea into the shoe to see how plush they can make it. Hence they describe it as "flagship". Others describe it as a boat.

Personally, I found that the Nimbus satisfied my long slog requierements, when I felt that I could afford them. Now I'm on Mizuno at half the price.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Plus one for Mizunos. (Inspire 9s)

Tapir madness has yet to strike! I received the "final race details" email today which included my number - sent a tingle of fear / excitement / nausea through my body. 

Then I went out on my bike and was sh1t.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Nice parkruns from Jools, Lorenzo and OO.
    Poacher - dreadmill in a hot humid room sounds pretty crazy to me.
    SJ - fear / excitement /. nausea - you can't beat it!
    A long day yesterday including sermon prep and a wedding celebration - didn't get to bed until nearly 1am image I hope I don't fall asleep during my own sermon. Next week is cut-back week image

• I keep a bookmark tab open

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/MyBookmarks.asp?v=1

15 miles done early as last night the weather forecast was clear followed by rain. Changed over night so the rain not due until dinner time (tea time for the northern part of the thread).

Mix of paces in the 15: couple of 8s and a 7:30 to warm up and meet a friend, then 4 @ 7:00 far too excited and talking about racing, another 3 @ 7:15 when we put the brakes on a bit, then 3 uphill to the end at 7:30 and a couple at 8 to cool down at the end and pad it to 15 and 40 for the week off 5 runs with 22 in the last 24 hours as today's run finished before yesterday's 7 started (if that makes sense).

Easy tomorrow, Wimbledon on Tuesday, 5k race Wednesday (Maidenhead AC, you there AR?), easy Thursday and then last Friday of the Month 5k on Friday. Padding at the weekend to bring the week up to 40 and me close to 1000 for the year which looks good for 2000 in 2013.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

18M for me on a fairly hilly route, so pleased with 8.04m/m.  60M for the week.  P&D starts tomorrow image

• 9M for me, 3M @ HMP, foot not great but manageable, Southport HM entered (26 quid). Onwards and upwards.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Just over 20M this am, with 10M @ any old pace, and 10M @ 6:57.

That concludes  my 'doubles trial' with 107M for the week (although 24M were steady rows duen to injury). Todays run felt good, apart from the tweaked hamstring which insists that I run with a shuffle.

What did I learn?

• Need to 'man-up' and wear soggy stinking kit
    • Also need to 'man-up' and forget about showering
    • Combining speed work with high mileage can hurt
    • All sessions start to blur into one and I started running everything at the same pace without focus
    • I got a bit bored with the plodding - felt more like a job than a hobby
    • No time for gym work, stretching, strengthening or life in general

Probably will do one or two doubles per week in marathon training, but by combining it with rowing. Back to normality next week, but first up rest the hamstring.

• Must have been tired, I slept until 1.30pm. Oops. 

15 miles done in the pouring rain yesterday though, so today is a rest day. Hoorah! And my GNR training starts tomorrow. I don't think I really like the 'inbetween' bits. I love a good schedule, I do. Speaking of which, I need to type mine up in glorious technicolour.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

You are providing me of memories of the student lifestyle Speedy image

Would read back and make some comments but need to give the family some love.

North Downs 30k for me today. 2hr 14mins - 4 mins faster than last yr, but this yr I was 14th overall, where as last yr I was 7th. As it was the 30th anniversary I think many more runners turned up. Pleased to be back running having had 4 days off this week with a toe injury. Disappointed not to see DS2 on route, but surprised to see one of the 6th formers I teach marshalling in a random out of the way field.  Highlight of the day was mistiming a style and ending up forward rolling over it without any negative consequences. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

We'll call that a planned dismount Keir. image Well done on a cracking time.

• Nice gymnastics en route Keir!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

16.5 for me today but at a lower pace than you lot. About 8:30 pace. Brings me to 41 for the week. 

Good job your student didn't see the tumble Kier, you'd not live that one down.