Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Well done, that was a great start. It's not going to take much for you to go under 16.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Great 5k races tim & matt.    Tim that Lymm course is tough so that's a good time. Congrats.

matt that's a high class field.  But a very good debut. You went Faster than my  debut 5000m last year but in my next race I went sub and I genuinely believe you should too.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Timmy and Matty nice runs.

Luvsa, sorry to hear about your bone problem. Sounds an odd one!

Having probably the most sociable weekend in years, last night's festivities, and catching up with an old pal for most of today.

Topped off with the 12 with Phil tomorrow.

Lovely stuff.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'm going to give Lancaster 5km a go next week. Supposed to start and finish on a track with an out and back stretch on a cycle path. I'll keep plugging away with the training as my original aim was to hopefully go sub 16 at Capenhurst in August. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great run there Mattl, when ever I see those 16 minute something 5000m's, I think of my own season of track racing/survival. 16:27 was the best I could manage by some way. 

Luvsa, lump on the bone, sounds like the repair mechanism of a fracture. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

quite a few really good 16:xx 5ks on the thread now....Ric, was your 33 10k a 33:5x?

If so, I guess a 16.27 5k matches that?

I'd like to put a proper 5k down before I lose the fitness. But clearly in rehab mode at the moment. It really is a case of grabbing the chance to put a pb on paper when you have the chance.

Luvsa, good to hear from you though.

Had one of those poor night's sleep where you never quite hit deep sleep. Probably due to all the diet coke (yes I am that rock n roll, allow it)

However, 12miles up at 7am with Phil. Should work well, longest i'll have run in a couple of weeks, and slightly slower than i'd do alone to ease back in , and good company to boot.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Definitely true about getting the PB,s down when you're in form. I feel I missed A chance of a really low 16 after Salford. Hopefully with me getting some regular track training in and now finally turning random races down to be a bit more specific with my goals I think I'm now heading in the right direction. Just on feeding dutitho these last couple of nights so sleep has been very broken for myself. I'll be handing over the reins at 9am and doing 10-12 myself. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

have a good one Matt.

Ta for the run Phil, consider your ear well and truly bended! (if that's even a word)

Mine came out at 12.5 in the end, av pace 7.21.  With 2 late nights, being a social run, longest run for 2 weeks and that long hill 3/4 in, I'm pretty pleased with today's fare. Could certainly feel the knackerdness kicking in near the end.

Can still feel the ache a bit, but I suppose it's less impacting now, so I'm bandying the idea of thinking about light quality for Friday.

Either way, 48miles this week, not too unlike the last 3 weeks, but the last 2 without quality as I manage my way back to full capacity.

• 15 miles done with SG early as last night the weather forecast was clear followed by rain. Changed over night so the rain not due until dinner time (tea time for the northern part of the thread).

Mix of paces in the 15: couple of 8s and a 7:30 to warm up, then 4 @ 7:00 far too excited and talking about racing, another 3 @ 7:15 when we put the brakes on a bit, then 3 uphill to the end at 7:30 and a couple at 8 to cool down at the end and pad it to 15 and 40 for the week off 5 runs with 22 in the last 24 hours as today's run finished before yesterday's 7 started (if that makes sense).

Average for the 15 was 7:35 but the average does not reflect those silly miles down along Boundary Road. bus always says they are hard and uphill in the Wycombe Half and you certainly notice the are much easier the other way.

Easy tomorrow, Wimbledon on Tuesday, 5k race Wednesday, easy Thursday and then last Friday of the Month 5k on Friday. Padding at the weekend to bring the week up to 40 and me close to 1000 for the year which looks good for 2000 in 2013.

• 15 for me this morning. 

Marathon training starts here! Loosely following the P&D 55-70 plan (cheers Literatin!) but making slight adjustments to my normal training.   The plan suggested to run it in 1:50.. Did 1:46 so pacing almost spot on.. A bit quick at the end as I'm used to doing a few miles quicker at the end of a long run. 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Tim, nice going I know how hard that course is after a crazy first K. The rest of the course just keeps throwing hills at you! Nice result.

Matt, great running in such a good field. It could have so easily been a negative experience getting dropped by the big boys early doors, but you showed great character to carve out an excellent time. Let's be fair... you were towing the line with Ben Fish et al.

Seb, glad things are looking better. A cracking 5mile time to boot, so you seem to be in great touch still.

I ran the Stone 10K this morning in horrific weather. It looked OK at my end but as I got to the village it was looking bleak. Wind (again!) and lots of rain. Turned up late after the M6 did it's usual of closing 2 lanes. Rushed warm up but felt ok-ish.

Gave it everything, and was a slobbering, retching, mess at the end. For 37:10. A great time wasn't there today at any point so I'm not disappointed at all, just happy I kept to sub 6 miles for a great training effort.

I also had a scary insight into SG's world at the end. I was desperately looking for a loo as I needed a pre-race dump. Queues were crazy so set off for a bush, no time. Uh oh... during the last 200 meters, amongst the retching, rocking and rolling, my arse began to give up on me and I came as close as you can to plopping myself. A guy was behind me so I decided if I was gonna poo me pants it was going to be during a 10K. Made it to the line, sprinted to the loo. Disaster averted! Just image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, can I just put on my record that I have never needed to unleash during a race.

Well...aside from race number 2, where i'd overlistened to chumps warning me about the risk of dehydration, so set off with a gut full of fluid on board, and ended up leaping into a bush around 10miles, gutted that the 1hr 31 I was on for wobbled to a 1hr 34.

Will never forget that ring sting! Oooh.

I have had many a race where I've come away from a 5mins before race monstrosity wondering how nasty it could have got if i'd attempted to set off with that little passenger on board.

but erm..anyway...as you were!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

'race number 2'! image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie - sounds like I choose wisely to give stone a miss in the end.  Hopefully the weather improves for tuesday.

If the weather is still like this on Tuesday, I'll do a session. More to be gained from that I'd have thought then a wind swept 1500.

Sorry SG, didn't mean to be slanderous there image Was scary stuff though!

Official results for today put me 29th/600 in 36:50? Not sure how but I'll take it. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good run there Ss, especially being able to knock 20 seconds off while on the way home.

15 mile runs seem to be the order of the day. Did one myself starting at 5:45am. I tend to stop and start a lot on these easy paced ventures so was out over two hours.

Took a camera along to record one or two things. One is the road I'm aiming to blast down tommorow.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/copsewood1_0.png

There's at least three Bentleys hidden down there.

The other was this chap

/members/images/493151/Gallery/bull.png

You can sense some ad hoc speed work being required at some point.

er, 83 miles this week following weeks of 74 & 76. image

🙂

• Sweepstake for Ric's mileage next week: 79.

He looks pretty mean.

I've used toilets on marathons, but the pace was never fast. HAve been caught short a few times on training runs and always managed to find a toilet.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, a big name poster like yourself shouldn't give any clues to where you can be found.

Your runs will be upset by autograph hunters and well wishers.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, the closer to the start of the race, the looser the definition of "the toilet" becomes.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Iron, the closer to the start of the race, the looser the definition of "the toilet" becomes.

Like the lake in Cantley park at the Wokingham start. image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to evacuate my bowels while out running. Today I had to nip to the town centre bus station toilet. I always take a key for my parents house and regularly have to divert past there. Sessions at the track have been known to include a rep towards the toilet and I've had that many wild ones ive lost count. Always take some loo roll with me but on the odd occasion I've been known to finish a run with only one glove or sock. image 

i find not drinking enough fluid doesn't help along with eating a massive bowl of cereal each day too. Dropped out of a Xc race  late last year with stomach cramps but not had a problem since as I take an Imodium on a race day and cut the cereal out too. 

Just going to finish my supper. image 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Is it just me who has never, ever needed a poo in a race or when running?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

We'll get you on doubles Litty, and i'm certain it'll strike you at some stage.

Matt, good stories, right along my experiences! My dedication to the cause is well known, but there's one story that even I can't put up here!

Iron, there's a lake there? It's the long bushes parallel to the start line that normally take a collosal going over .

• To the right of the baggage drop tent there is a lake/pond thing. At least there is immediately before the off!

XC always seems to give me GI issues. I'll stuff my face at the post-xc buffet but I'll be in pain all afternoon.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It took me ages to get my tiny little brain around the fact that I never had any problems in races, yet often did in quality sessions.

Presumed it was the adrenaline. It turned out to be the skimmed milk!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I have a pint of skimmed milk everyday on my cereal. couple that with the fibre. Disaster. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Mattl, this might sound revolutionary, but have you ever considered... not doing that?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I stick to a protein based breakfast on race days myself. The high fibre fueling is for the day before.

As for dealing with such problems 'up the track', on one session I was involved with, one particular runner just blasted off the track into the darkness of the 'infield' and returned at speed for the start of the next rep. "needed a dump" was the explanation.

Must have been quick. I guess top runners are.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I can't give up the cereal. I could live off the stuff. I usually go through 4 boxes a week. :-/