PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Good work badger hahaha! Any consolation I have been there, not in that exact situation but I've been there bro..... image

• PPPPPP

next time, you'll think eh?

Too many bikes, me thinks.

Seriously, I have a suggestion and query for you all. If you got totally swatted on your bike and were a mess in the gutter, how would a Good Samaritan know who to contact to say that you weren't going to be back for tea? (or worse)
    Your thoughts.
    Maybe it's  a separate thread, but we'll start it here, and personal.

• I have a little bit of paper in my back pocket that says who to contact in emergency. I always carry this. Everyone should do this! image

• I always have my phone with. an ICE contact. I agree it's a good point to raise and I don't take it out on a run so might do the bit of paper.  

• So... That's another week gone, another week closer too Henley! So training has been reasonable this week, since last Sunday I have done no running on the advice of cat and others, only managed 5k of swimming due too weird work schedule, as 2x 2.5k sessions, and over 400 miles of cycling... Went a bit nuts as I have a new bike! Back too running this week.... Current plan for Henley at the moment, survive the swim, hopefully same as last year or better 1:20 try and absolutely go mad on the bike and come in sub 5:30 and try and get a 3:30-40 marathon which is doable even in my state at the moment.... Hope everyone else is feeling ok and training is going well... 

• Good work Whizkid. Do you have the mental fortitude to take another week off running?

Completely unrelated to Henley; I'm now 2 weeks in to my 4 week run break, and decided halfway through last week to MTFU and do some bike work. Committed to 10mi/day during the week, and a tab more at the weekend. So that's 371 km/230 miles for the past 11 days.

• 3.5 hour club run for me today with some hard efforts up the hills. I'm fortunate(?) in that the hills down here are decent. Was very windy today! Only 5.75 hours for me this week due to holiday. The holiday and the week when I was ill have really hurt my average training hours for the build period. They aren't going to be much more than the base period! image

• I probably could take another week off running, in reality how much is this going too affect my run performance, I'm not looking too go mad at any race up to and including Henley run wise, I plan on going for the holy grail of a sub 3 mara in the winter but that's a different story...

badger - 3.5 hours I don't think I have ever run that long, ever.... Nice!

cat - nice bike miles mate I think 10 miles a day is a reasonable amount without compromising too much, if u ever wanna come too newbury or fancy a riding partner let me know... I promise it won't turn into a race....image

• I think it is likely to have minimal impact on Henley, which is still 3 months away. You could do double bikes instead - with the second bike an easy replacement for run? I can't imagine you'll lose much at all over that time.

I'm sure our resident running guru Blisters will have something to add.

It'd be nice to head over your way. I did a long bike last year that ended up going through Chievely and beyond. Gets very lumpy round those parts. The 10mi/day was something to keep me going, and it's nice to see the extra 2-3km adding up. Really enjoying my road bike again.

Are there any TTs round your way?

• As Whiz says, another week nearer. After the first couple of weeks this month (when the sun shone!) were about 300/350 mile cycling weeks, last week (cloudy!) was nearer 150. Hopefully do a bit more this week.

My running is getting there. For no reason other than it seemed like a good idea I've  upped the amount of fruit I'm eating and that seems to have helped. Sometimes it feels like my (tired) legs are all that is holding me back and the rest of me just wants to go, go, go! Having had a month off a few months ago due to knackered tendons - that I put down to not enough days off running - I'm being careful not to overdo it though.

Swim is getting there too. I had a mega, 100 lengths in 50 mins, caffiene fuelled swim on Friday and did another 3k this morning. Tuesday has become OW evening for me (well, I've been three times) and I'm doing about 2 miles (so the Garmin says) in an hour. I'm happy with that.

Marlow HIM in three weeks, a chance to see how it all fits together! (If it fits together).

Hope everyone has a good week this week.

• Not run Jamie - by club run I mean bike. I couldn't run for 3.5 hours! (run/walk for me @ CH) 

Jeez, some of you are putting in some serious training - 300-350 miles a week on the bike? That seems like massive overkill to me. I think I've done 1x200mile week so far, with most in the 100-150 range, though obviously there will be some bigger weeks to come in the peak phase. 

You've got me all flustered and worried now! image

• cat - yeah it gets properly hilly up here, was using my new toy today garmin edge 800 and went on a 53 mile route with 2k in feet of elevation, a lot of that was Coombe jebus the hill was long and I would say 20% at least (I've done a few 25% so I know the gradients) and that was interesting! Also yes there is a TT series up here which actually goes past my mums house it's a super fast 10 mile TT and it very close too where I live, if your interested I could take you round it/race it...

nice work CC your going too be smashing me swim wise I'm about 1:06 for 2 miles.... Well done on your bike miles too!

UB - I ride a LOT more then a lot of people do, don't get worried mate, I plan on doing some crazy bike time so I'm doing over double the bike training with a lot of speed work, also no running means more biking!

• Where is blisters when I need him need some running advice! image

• UB: Race your own race. Train your own training. It's easy to get worried by others' totals but don'e sweat it.

Whiz, I do fancy a change of scenery for a TT. Have you done the Woolhampton course? That ride sounded very lumpy. I did Bradfield & Whictchurch Hill last Sunday and only managed ~450m in 70km.

Good mileage CC!

I look forward to seeing you all whiz through the feedstation.

• yup I done it the other day, as I live in thatcham and I use it for a fast flat route, I adjusted it slightly too make total mileage 16, straight down the a4, and back... On a windy day I managed about 22 mph or so wasent going for it and didn't have pointy hat Orr race wheels on.... Oh and my climb today was over 1k metres in 50 miles! image

• Whiz - I dunno. This is all new to me. Not done any OW when there are lots of other people about too. Marlow HIM will be an education. 

UB - I do a lot of riding too. I've no plans on doing an Whizzy outstanding bike time. The miles rack up because when the weather is good I really enjoy the cycling and am able to extend my bike commutes to be out there.

• Hello?

Whizzo, I am told that this Ironman stuff is all about the bike. You have got to be able to get off the bike feeling fit and strong, because you are just about to start what the majority of this entire RW forum reckon is a big event. You've got a great base-and CV engine. A bit of a running injury? Get thee to a physio, and stop worrying.

For me, a full on marathon campaign is 3 months long. Within that I'd want to get my long run distance up to 22 miles. There are always a few bad days at the office, but those are the ones to learn from. 5 or 6 of those 20 milers in the campaign and endurance won't be your issue. Even if you only do a couple you'll be fine.

I'm not trying to win this event, just complete it.

• Hi all,

Some really interesting and useful tips;

whizzkid - you are a beast !  Well done on all the training

Ironcat - great point about racing your own race.  

Blisters - useful feedback about the running.  I tend to do 3 runs a week totalling between 25 and 30 miles depending he how far my long run is.  I usually do a couple of 6/7 milers and one 10/13 miler.  I am finding it hard to pace - tend to average just over 7 min miles when on race day my time will be much slower. I also find it hard to eat / drink while running.  Hopefully when I do some longer runs I will be more patient. I'd be really interested in any thoughts or advice (will running at a higher speed / intensity be helpful or am I being stupid / more risk of injury ?)

Cheggars (great name !) I am similar in biking...if it is a nice day I try to get on the bike

Badger - seems to me you are doing fine...someone told me that consistency was very important and you seem to have a good plan.

I've had a poor weekend...after missing the bike recce I forced myself to do a cycle...big mistake...have been in bed with terrible migraine and aching body all day.  Hopefully a bit of rest will solve things.

Take care chakeep and keep up all the good work !

• Brooko - I'd say slow your runs down and if you feel the need for speed add some intervals at the beginning or end of the runs. My stand alone Marathon best is 3:37 and I'm doing 1hr runs at about 8min miles at the moment (i'm fitter and faster than my last marathon build up). If you are going slower your heart rate will be lower and it will be easier to eat and drink which you will need if you want to run over 2 hours in training.

Badger - Your bike mileage is similar to me, remember the others are cycling on commutes (or are maniacs like Whiz). I do a long ride (so far up to 85miles) the 2-3 rides 45-90mins each a week.

Shoulder seems to have got worse again,I'm going to speak to the physio again and maybe week off again.

• Too be fair ST a fair chunk of my mileage is from commuting, what I will say is go and get a century in, as one its obviously good training wise, two it's a great mental boost too, only did a short ride of 34 miles, and had a lovely 13 hour work day so that's it, day off tommoro I need it!

• Oh and thank you for the time too reply blisters your knowledge of all things running related is helpful, the bike is one thing I'm not worrying about as I've been doing century rides since February, so that box is ticked, and the swim is well its alright, well  up too a couple of weeks ago I was running up too 18 miles... image

• WhizKid - I don't care how much of it is commute you are still a bike freakimage. I totally agree about the century, I was planning to do one last weekend but the recce came up, the next 2 weeks will be century rides before HIM on 14/7. Still not sure weather I will do 112 before the day, didn't do 26miles before my first marthon but then it was a single sport event, maybe a 120 bike with brick as my last big day before taper?

• Mate I only did one 112 last year, in my opinion don't worry about that, if you can do 100 miles you sure as sh*t can do 112... Saying that I have a 130 mile bike planned for this weekend, but no running or very little as I do plan on a short plod at some point this week, means that too stop me procrastinating I ride loads image

• Does driving a 1000 miles in a week count for anything? Bother. Training severly limited at the moment. Put it this way, I was well chuffed to get 30 mins on the turbo this evening. At least I got my gear washed.

• Sucks blisters you can only do what you can do!

• Am envious of all the training...yes Blisters..even your 30 minutes on a Turbo seems like a luxury to me...my migraine got worse so went to doctors yesterday and was sent to hospital...lots of tests and prodding and it seems I have viral meningitis.  Bad news is that it is very painful and no training for some time...good news is that i will recover. Whether I get fixed in time for Henley is another matter...but to be honest it's been a bit of a reality check...I have gone from feeling indistructable (last Thursday did 50 mile hilly bike in 2.50 and a 9 mile run in 1.02) to feeling as bad as I can ever remember.

I'm filling myself with all sorts of cheesy quotes to keep my spirits up !

So chaps, keep up the good work...keep strong...however much we do it will never be enough and remember to enjoy yourselves !

• sorry to hear that Brooko image

I DNS my Olympic Tri on sunday due to a migraine so I know a little of how you feel - it's taken me a couple of days to get over it and I do still feel drained.

You may be able to drop down to the Henley Half if you feel you may be up to joining the pirate posse ?  Anyway, rest up and I hope you start feeling more with it soon.

• Hope your feeling better soon brooko, that's really bad, I can't even run with a slight headache I can't imagine what a migraine is like! You will be fine for Henlemate em, if its any consolation I can't run still image

fraggle that's no good! But it's best not too get yourself really ill, and racing with a migraine would be unimaginable pain, hard luck and chin up!

• Brooko - At last you have a diagnosis, meningitis is a nasty beast, take care of yourself. I've had to come back for a very bad place since last September, it takes time and there will be ups as wells as downs but if you can hold on to a focus such as  Henley be it the Half or full it can be a help. Don't let either the race or the illness rule you and I hope you are well soon.

Might be time for some reading, if you haven't read it yet get hold of Chrissie Wellingtons book.

• Guys, thanks for all the lovely messages - it means a lot.