Running Virgin... Advice appreciated :)

Hi guys, 

im new to the site and i find it a huge help but would like some advice on my own (what I think) running plan... Virgin Runner : I don't know much about much.

I'm training to run the 10 mile Great south run on Oct 27th. its a personal goal and at the moment i feel I'm not going to suceed image

For the past 3 weeks, ive been running 1-2miles 3 days in a row then have 1 rest day, repeat. I can't seem to gain much pace nor distance although I'm eating the right foods before and after, in between etc, warming up etc. I can however, run that little bit further the day after a rest day so don't know whether I should incorporate more but am worried I won't be ready in time. 

Is this too much for a beginner or not enough? All advice appreciated, I need your expert opinions =)

thanks in advance

Comments

• I find it easier to think about going for a few more minutes than last time, than thinking I've got to run x number of mile today.

lets assume that you can run a ten minute mile. For a ten mile race you will need to run for 100 minutes.

Now lets assume that you can run already for 20 minutes as you can do 2 miles. Therefore you need to find 80 minutes.

You have 18 weeks. Increase your running time each week by 5 minutes. So next week 3 x 25 mins, week after 3 x 30 min.

18 weeks x 5 mins = 90 mins, plus the 20 you can already do.......

110 minutes or 11 miles.

Also, try to have a run day followed by a rest day, rather than 3 back to back run days, 3 days a week should be enough, if you don't rest you'll burn out.

Good luck!

• It may be a tad ambitious to run 10 miles as your first run, but certainly not undo-able if you just want to get round.

I wouldn't worrry about distance at all at the moment but I would go out for half an hour minimum. Run slowly for as long as comfortable. When it stops being comfortable walk until you feel recovered enough to resume your slow jog, then resume your slow jog. Repeat until end of half an hour. Have a rest day the next day, another rest day if you think you need it the following, then repeat the day after. Try to up the amount of time running rather than walking each time, but mostly listen to your body. Go out 3 times a week at least to start with, but take it easy.

Might be worth seeing if you have a local club that does a start to run course or following one of those schedules from 0-5K initially?

• I think the run walk idea is a good one - as is the alternate rest day.

It takes me 15 mins to get into a run so on a lot of your runs you're probably finished before you've warmed up.
  • ^ this.

And keep it simple. Start by running 3 times a week wth a rest day in between each run. If you keep increasing one of those runs by 5 minutes every week, you will soon be running for an hour and (depending on your speed) over half way to your goal. 

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Don't try to go as far and as afast as possible each time you go out.

At least once a week- go for a slow run/walk, and just try to build how long you can keep giong- 5 minutes extra each week is fine. Take these as slow as you like.

The other 2 or 3 perweek should be a little shorter, but still not pushing too much at the speed. The amount of time you spend running at a faster pace should be a tiny fraction of your week- spend most of your time running at a slow pace, and you'll recover better between runs.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

The 3 days a week is important to begin with. Just relax and don't do to much to soon.

• Thank you very much image 

I have a great run training plan but it doesn't look that much hence gliding a lot more. So when I run/walk, do I include this walking in the overall distance/time? I thought I'd need to calculate the running distance only??

Sorry for all the questions, I've looked at soo much stuff on various different sites, that I'm getting confused image But from now on, I'm going to stick with this site image 

You're all a great help, thanks

• ^^^ Sorry, that's meant to say doing* a lot more! I don't go out gliding, haha.

• You would usually include your walking in your time/distance - put it this way, if you have to run part of your 10 miler your finishing time will include the walking bits.

But if you want to add a few minutes onto the end of your run to "make" up for your walking you can. Don't get too hung up on it though.

• When you are starting it doesn't matter if you are running or walking. The most important thing is you have gone out of the door in your running kit, you are moving, and you will do for 30 minutes. This mind sound simplistic, but actually it's the hardest thing for a lot of people (myself included), getting out of the door image.

It's much easier if you can take the pressure off and build up slowly. If you can get out for 30 minutes, three times a week, you will improve and then once you find you are running all the way you can increase the time by 5 minutes.

A mistake a lot of people make is running too fast. Try slowing your pace down and you should find you can run for longer. Most beginners will run at between 10 and 13-14 minute mile pace, and maybe settle at between 10 and 12 minute mile pace after a few weeks of running. So you will cover between 2 and 3 miles in half an hour. Nearer 2 probably to start with, and then maybe nearer 3 after a while. Some beginners may be speedier, but as you have 10 miles to go for, a slowish steady pace that you can keep going at is your aim.

Enjoy!

• Just remembered my first race was a half marathon, which makes my first comment particularly inappropriate! I can't remember how long I'd been running before I decided to do it though. I used to do a lot of walking and running though and it's a good way of improving fitness as it keeps you out there longer. Even when I was fitter I'd take breaks, I remember thinking that the race would be the first time I wouldn't stop! Quite impressive considering that I did it in under 2 hours image,  and it was hilly, but I was a lot younger then!

• Thanks a lot for the advice. ATM I am running at what seems my slowest pace (feels like jogging on the spot) and doing 1 mile in ave 10:20. I will start incorporating the walking and try to focus on the amount if time I'm out, not how quick I'm doing each mile.

I'm being quite competitive with an experienced runner from work! image (He doesnt know, he'll most probably laugh his socks off) But need to admit to myself that I simply WOULD NOT beat his 10mile time. Nothing wrong with Optimism tho, right?!

Thanks again guys image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

The way I sometimes do it when I don't feel like running is to run out for a certain amount of time so I pretty much have to run back again - that can also help with pace as you can try and run back faster than you go out!!! but just carry on and enjoy yourself which is the main thing to remember