Options

Is 13:38 a competitive 5k time for 16 year old

Hi! My names Matt, im 16 years old and am about to be a junior in HS. I have NEVER run a competitive race in my LIFE! I run to feel good and to maintain a good body fat %. I am on again off again with it, sometimes I run 20 miles a week, other times I run 10 miles in 3 weeks. But out of sheer curiosity I was wondering if I did join my HS track team or something if i would be able to compete and not embarrass myself! Just today I ran a 5k in 13:38! I appreciate any input!

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hmm, some proof of this feat may be required before further comment. 

5k converts to 3.107 miles.

Your finish time indicates an average speed of 4 minutes 23 seconds per mile.

Best check your data.

Otherwise you run the risk of being bombed out on the forum for posting hubris.

🙂

• Options

13;38 for 3k perhaps Matt. No way for 5k at 16 having never run seriously...

• Options

Are you sure it wasnt five miles? 

• Options

Well the world record for the 5000 m is 12.37.35!

If you truly ran it in 13.38 and haven't messed up your distance, then I'd get down to your local athletics track, get a coach & get training for the Olympics!

• Options
    JMopper wrote (see)

5 miles is further than 5K..... so I doubt it!

• Options

JMopper wrote (see)

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If this is true, I would be knocking on Alberto Salazars door first thing in the morning!

How was this 5k measured / timed? Need more proof on this as at the moment this doesn't seem possible, if the no training part is to be belived.
  • Options
    Lol - mo Farah did 14 minutes yesterday. You didn't run 13. The distance is wrong

Try doing a parkrun next Saturday - that will give you a good idea.

Keep up the good work though !
  • Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Before people jump all over you - are you Kenyan? - other wise it is unlikely that the 5K is accurate - to be fair if you are Kenyan it is unlikely that your date of birth is correct!!!!

• Options

Sure this isn't spam, peeps????

• Options

Definitely not competitive - the 125th fastest time in the world this year is 13:35.

You need to seriously up your game, laddie.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Can't believe some of you lot are asking for proof.

He's a whole minute off the best in the world for goodness sake. Not like he's claiming to be the fastest In the world or anything.

• Options

He'd only have got 25th in the last Worlds.

I think he needs to try a new sport. Athletics holds no kind of future for him.

• Options

Maybe spam, maybe trolling but probably just a kid who's got his distance wrong.

Been happening a lot here recently, it seems to have taken over from the "can I run a marathon with 10 minutes training?" trend.

• Options

I'm not trying to troll anyone, I'm not stupid I know It's a good time, however I'm just trying to figure out if it's good enough to have to sacrifice other activities I'm currently doing. In only the case that pursuing this would be rewarding (scholarship $). 

- I never said I don't Train lol, I've just never run in an official race. I've been running for 5 years

-Also I am pretty sure I have the right distance. 5 kilometers is equal to 3.1 miles - which is how far I ran.

When I feel 100% again, most likely tomorrow I will go out to the Gym and try to do it again on a Treadmill and take a picture of the stats. That's as far as I'm willing to go, I don't need to go leaps and bounds to prove myself over the Internet. Thanks for your Time! 

• Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    Lol - mo Farah did 14 minutes yesterday. You didn't run 13. The distance is wrong

Try doing a parkrun next Saturday - that will give you a good idea.

Keep up the good work though !

Did you read this post Matt? You are telling us you can run faster than Mo Farah who is not only genetically gifted but has trained for years to become as good as he is. Just think about that for a minute. Your claim is very, very unlikely.

• Options

presumably this is a 5k rather than a track 5000m which would mean you've run a time that has never been beaten at any parkrun, you've run quicker than any uk athlete so far this year. in fact I think you have to go back to mo's run in 2008 to find a quicker 5k by a uk athlete

so yes, you've definitely got a future in the sport or you need a new map

• Options

I'm assuming from his first post that he is from the U.S. Since they usually measure in miles it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he's got his distance wrong.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Matt -- How did you measure your distance and time?

• Options

Not that it really makes a difference but this kid sounds like he is American. And americans have a bit of trouble with the old metric!

Probably using some half arsed pedometer from China!

• Options
    I'd not bother racing it on the treadmill - they can be inaccurate.

If its anything near accurate then yeah it's a very good time.

Unfortunately time on the forum has taught us time and time again that fantastic times are 95% likely to be a false reading on distance. Just last months we had a woman on doing a 17min 5k in jogging bottoms and casual trainers - she swore it was genuine but never came back on....

How did you measure it ?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

ah, I needed this to fill the void left by Tom Chinerys injury!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    So today you ran 13.38 today and tomorrow you think you will be fit enough to do the same? If that's the case you have just about won the lottery. Give up the education. The likes of Nike , Adidas etc will be throwing money at you and you will make a killing at races.

I'd ring up their head offices tomorrow to let them know .
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Olympic gold was won last yr with a 13.41.  So you are not bad, pretty good really but whether you take running seriously and focus solely going forward depends on how good you at other things. 

• Options

Or let's put it another way - you have run the distance faster than any woman in the world has ever run it. Even all those elite African runners.

Does that sound likely?

• Options

I ran a very hilly 10k in 20 minutes this morning. I don't think the feller's lying.

• Options
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

I ran a very hilly 10k in 20 minutes this morning. I don't think the feller's lying.