Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Weedy, Weedy, Weedy! Heroic effort my man! image

• I am soooooo glad that I went for my run at KOC, the weather had deterioated immensly in the last two hours. I have a smug grin after getting 9 miles in whilst the world was sleepingimage image

And now due to my cunning time management I may actually have some spare time this afternoon!!!! image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Kaz - so the problems of the world will be sorted this afternoon?  Awesome!  SIT DOEN, put your feel up woman!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Weedy by name but not by nature (although you did get beaten by a girly). Should call you Ben Richards.  Well done.

Jimbob - I tried to look up something to replace "Well Done", and the thesaurus recommended "Overcooked".  You're not overcooked but certainly "Steaming", great race. Tell us more.... .

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Weedy - Well done, fantastic running.

Hope the Shewsbury crew had a great weekend too.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Weedy - fasntastic time - well done you image

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Well done Weedy.

Jimbob finished 4th in his category. The man is on fire.

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    PC91 wrote (see)

Weedy by name but not by nature (although you did get beaten by a girly). Should call you Ben Richards.  Well done.

Jimbob - I tried to look up something to replace "Well Done", and the thesaurus recommended "Overcooked".  You're not overcooked but certainly "Steaming", great race. Tell us more.... .

PC - i was bouyed by my new running top! Have had a fantastic weekend with lovely people and that helps a lot. i never plan a race too much, just say - if i feel OK i'll "ave a go" and see what happens. After a testing achy painy May with a fantastic 10k pb at the end mind - i've cut my June training back down to 3 days a week and had some very good sessions, so going into yesterday i was hoping to be at least my previous 1.33 best.  

I went off at 6.21 first mile which was my quickest of all 13 - we started very close to the front and the Elites just disappeared in about 30 paces! I did go off too quick but managed to settle. It was a tough course (in comparision to other halves a do) - plus going hell for leather made the hills seem even tougher.

It took me two miles to recover from mile 4 but as i went through 6 miles i started chatting to people around me (as i always do to help pass the miles) first a nice boy for about 10 mins and then he backed off from the pace - then i noticed i was running with this blond girl and a lot of people were encouraging her around the course "Come on Hilary" after about half an hour i broke the ice with some chitter chatter - she wasn't really interested, slightly cold toward me - ME?!, i could see she was in the zone and a serious runner - we kept taking it in turns to lead - that wasn't intentional - i was passing her up the hills she was steaming down the hills - and she had a good running technique. After a while we reeled another boy and girl and the 4 of us were just motoring - i really felt like we were the chasing pack in a real marathon race and it was kind of fun - everyone took their turn at the front! When we got to the nasty zig zagging near the end i pulled away and Hilary came for a bit but i was kind of on my own on the finish straight and there was a lot of cheering! so i held form and finished strong - not a sprint mind - i was spent! but no death marching (plus i could hear Hilary and Co trying to catch me up-so wasn't letting that happen)

Turns out the cheering was for probably for Hilary! - she won the girl's race! Actually now i think about it today, i do think i helped her to win the race - as she was in limbo for quite a while i could see her running on her own for ages and when i got close we did kind of push each other and close down the two ahead  - and she beat that girl. She won't thank me for trying to make conversation but hopefully i helped. Anyway the stats - were 1'28'42 at 6'45 per mile - so i'm elated with those numbers!

I don't know if i could run that route again though, it was quite annoying at times. The atmosphere was very good  - the locals were everywhere on route encouraging. The stool was flying at the 5K point. It was a lovely afternoon quaffing ales and bantering in the pub with a big fat juicy delicious lunch in our tums. I feel like i've eaten half a cow. I'll have to check stool chart later to see where i'm at.

Really looking forward to getting together with everyone soon for a social and for a race.

Weedy - you really did channel your Inner-Emmy .... image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

He's my forum hubby... it comes as part of the job description: being tough and completely crackersimage

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

why have you got a banner of a pommel horse?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    'OO'50 wrote (see)

Oh boy....just you wait until Radar Sal gets home....

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    'OO'50 wrote (see)

Excellent. image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

OO - it's a Bristol Stool.  Was your school not that well funded?  Did they made you jump over a stool rather than an actual pommel horse? So sad the state of UK education.

• Full marks to Jimbob for trying to chat up the winner of the ladies race - during the race image !

• 'OO'50 wrote (see)

Hahahahahahahahaaaa

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Full marks to Jimbob for trying to chat up the winner of the ladies race - during the race image !

see i can multi-task

•  

yer_maj wrote (see)
    'OO'50 wrote (see)

How else are they going to tunnel past ze Germans? image

Great race report Jimbob. I'm sure you aren't so bothered, but this 1:28:42 gives you a VDOT of 51 with a training potential to just under 3h08 for a full mara...

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

He's my forum hubby... it comes as part of the job description: being tough and completely crackersimage

Just imagine how crackers our forum children will be image

Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated. Checked the results to find I came 32nd out of the 265 two-dayers who fnished! Am slightly in shock, but think it was probably because I didn't faff about at the checkpoints, just stopped to grab enough food, then back out again. Some people were spending half an hour or so.

The battenburg toenail was a DNF. It survived Saturday, but yesterday was too much for it. Other than that, I feel fantastic today. Quads sore and I'm taking steps one at a time, but don't feel any worse than I did after Paris.

Jimbob - fourth in your class! Amazing going there. Don't worry about chatting up the ladies winner, look where it's got Eggy.

• I've been having computer problems and I've lost all my files, so apologies if any events that you've told me about in the past week are missed off.

Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.Jul 4: Bluegrass 10k - Lawyer Aaron. Peachtree 10k - Danni.Jul 6: Hampstead Race4Life: Alice. Foulees France des Isles - ATM.Jul 14: Manchester 10k - James B.Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.Jul 16-22: In The Long Run - DLR, Douglas Maus, Emmy, Helterskelter, Iain M, RR, Suzy M, TD, Weedy.Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday. Musselburgh 10k - Wohlf.Jul 21: Lottery Anniversary Run - Jimbob, RS. Run Melbourne Half - Jus T.Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.Jul 30: Maus' birthday.Aug 3: The Devil O' The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt, Sophia, John, Alexei, Yuri.Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.Aug 11: Isle of Maus Marathon/Half - Iain M, Maus, RR, RS, Weedy.Aug 17: Enigma Gold - Weedy. Helsinki Marathon - Pottermoss. London Gay Pride 10K - DLR.Aug 17-18: Enigma Gold Double - Emmy.Aug 25: Perth 10k - Eggy.Sep 1: Wolverhampton Marathon - Weedy.Sep 7: Aberfeldy Marthon - Clag.Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday. Cumbrae 10-miler - Eggy. Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan. English Half - Orbutt.Sep 14: Eco Trail Brussels - Emmy, TD. Silkstone Shuffle - DLR.Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, OO, RS, Steve Duffy, Tiddy, Weedy. Stirling 10k - Eggy.Sep 21: Langdale Marathon - Weedy.Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.Sep 22: Harvest Trail Half - Yer Maj. Ladybower 35 - RR. New Forest Marathon - Emmy.Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Maus, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy. Paris-Versailles 16k - ATM, TP.Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Great Scottish Run - Wohlf. Kielder Marathon - Weedy. Royal Parks Half - Carl D, Lawyer Aaron. Onetit's birthday.Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.Oct 12: PF's birthday.Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni.Oct 17: Paris registration opens (possibly).Oct 20: Abingdon Marathon - Steve Duffy. Amsterdam Marathon - Emmy, Megs, Weedy. Cabbage Patch 10k - Nic E. Toronto Half - Danni. Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.Oct 20-25: Inverness to Skye 136k - TP.Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Marine Corps Marathon - Fanfan, Iain M, Rick. Northumberland Castles Marathon - Weedy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.Oct 28: Dublin Marathon - Carl D, James B.Nov 2: DLR's birthday.Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.Nov 6: Danni's birthday.Nov 9-10: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.Nov 10: Athens Marathon - Wohlf.Nov 17: Marathon d'Orleans - PC91.Nov 24: Florence Marathon - Engineer.Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.Dec 1: James B's birthday.Dec 8: Newcastle Racecourse Marathon - Weedy.Dec 14: Enigma Christmas Marathon - Emmy.Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.Dec 31: TD's birthday.Jan 3: OO's birthday.Jan 4-5: Enigma Double - Weedy.Jan 9-12: Disney Dopey - Danni.Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.Jan 19: DV's birthday.Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.Feb 3: TP's birthday.Feb 6-9: Quadzilla - Emmy.Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.Mar 1: RS's birthday.Mar 2: Silverstone Half - Wohlf.Mar 8: Jus T's birthday. Peter B's birthday.Mar 16: Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T.Mar 17: Week at the Knees Marathon - Weedy.Mar 18: Paris Half - PF, Suzy M.April 6: Brighton Marathon - Iain M. Apr 8: Alexander's birthday.Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.May 15: Scott W's birthday.May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.May 23: Suzy M's birthday.Apr 6: Paris MarathonDefinite: ATM, DLR, DV, Eggy, Emmy, Jimbob, Kaz, Maus, Mrs DV, Mrs O, NGUG, Orbutt, RR, Steve Duffy, Suzy M, TP, Weedy, Wohlf, Yer Maj.Maybe: Carl D, Danni, Engineer, James B, Lawyer Aaron, NCane, Nic E, OO, RS, Scott W, Simon Mac.Apr 6: Brighton Marathon - Iain M.April 13 London Marathon

• Aaargh. And I've lost all the formatting as well it appears. Normal service will resume next week.

...Apr 6: Paris MarathonDefinite: ATM, DLR, DV, Eggy, Emmy, Jimbob, Kaz, Maus, Mrs DV, Mrs O, NGUG, Orbutt, RR, Steve Duffy, Suzy M, TP, Weedy, Wohlf, Yer Maj.Maybe: Carl D, Danni, Engineer, James B, Lawyer Aaron, NCane, Nic E, OO, RS, Scott W, Simon Mac.Apr 6: Brighton Marathon - Iain M.April 13 London Marathon - RR, TD.June 2014: Comrades - Danni, RR.

Not quite sure what all that means TD - you know i'm a bit of a "run forrest run" type, but i'd take that 3.08 and do a naked slow dance with it in my local pub - better get on with the endurance stuff then in time for Berlin - and will you be joining us for some convocaunicating?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Right, start training Jimbob.  Because I can tell you right here, right now, I'll organise a bus to make sure we're all there to see, photograph and film the naked slow dance....

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Great race report Jimbob. I'm sure you aren't so bothered, but this 1:28:42 gives you a VDOT of 51 with a training potential to just under 3h08 for a full mara...

What's a VDOT?

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Virginia Department of Transport according to google.......

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I see. It is based on the Jack Daniel's formula.....  mmmmm.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Right, start training Jimbob.  Because I can tell you right here, right now, I'll organise a bus to make sure we're all there to see, photograph and film the naked slow dance....

you don't have to wait till then if you wanna do a naked slow dance with me baby ...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jimbob - Amazing half PB. If you keep on improving like you have over the last year who knows what sort of times you'll start to hit. Get some good training in and that Paris time is there for the taking in Berlin.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

you don't have to wait till then if you wanna do a naked slow dance with me baby ...

The world's not ready for that imagery, sweetheart.  Wait until I start training again....image

• Weedy, Jimbob -- Amazing! you are almost inspiring me to stop being so lazy.  Almost.