Is 13:38 a competitive 5k time for 16 year old

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to hearing back from Matt sometime soon...

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I imagine Matt will be looking to run the first half of a marathon at some point to get a feel for the distance before doing the full distance in April next year.

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

I imagine Matt will be looking to run the first half of a marathon at some point to get a feel for the distance before doing the full distance in April next year.

And smashing the world record in the process.

Seriously though Matt, you may be a good runner with the potential to become a very good runner but to be that good at your age with no formal training would pretty much make you the the most talented runner that ever lived. The chances of that, especially as you are not African are, well, zero.

• Grendel: Good point.He also might well be going for a 10,000m 'tester' in the near future.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

No chance or a world marathon record based on that 5K time - which Macmillan says would give him a 2:12 marathon -

But egg on our faces if it turns out to be true - after all Zola Budd broke the world 5K record at a similar age.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

And smashing the world record in the process.

Seriously though Matt, you may be a good runner with the potential to become a very good runner but to be that good at your age with no formal training would pretty much make you the the most talented runner that ever lived. The chances of that, especially as you are not African are, well, zero.

Besides which, someone would definitely have noticed!

• Grendel: I think he's still  too young to officially run a Half Marathon. Wonder what his 1500m time is ? Perhaps about 3:36 ??

• Matt Bratovich wrote (see)

Hi! My names Matt, im 16 years old and am about to be a junior in HS. I have NEVER run a competitive race in my LIFE! I run to feel good and to maintain a good body fat %. I am on again off again with it, sometimes I run 20 miles a week, other times I run 10 miles in 3 weeks. But out of sheer curiosity I was wondering if I did join my HS track team or something if i would be able to compete and not embarrass myself! Just today I ran a 5k in 13:38! I appreciate any input!

Matt - sounds like you are pushing yourself too hard in training - a 13:38 5k converts to a 13:38 5000m which is really quick.

Try upping your weekly mileage but slowing it all down a bit and throwing in a long slow run at the weekend and you should see that time come down.

Also join that HS track team - I think that your solo time trial should probably mean you will be in the top 5 or 6 runners in the team.

Also just reading the Zola Budd comment reminds me - do you wear trainers or not - try running barefoot and your times should plummet (although Nike might not want to sponsor you quite as much!)

• From memory Brooks sponsored Zola Budd. When she wore shoes...

• The English Schools results this year will surely confirm this amazing talent...

• birkmyre wrote (see)

The English Schools results this year will surely confirm this amazing talent...

Pretty sure he's American.

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm guessing not too many British high schools are known for having track teams. Unless things have moved on a bit since my day.

• The mention of becoming a Junior in High School definitely points to him being American.

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Agreed, although my granddaughter's excited about her upcoming high school prom so it's probably only a matter of time before we too are talking about juniors, sophomores etc image

• Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

The mention of becoming a Junior in High School definitely points to him being American.

That and the dollar sign in his other post.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

birkmye

1. Yep too young for a half (but maybe one of those Kenyan juniors who look about 30)
    2. Your memory is correct she was sponsored by Brooks (Do the have Ostriches in America - maybe that is how he got so fast)
    3. And yes his 5000 metre time does equate to around 3:36!!!

I can't wait until he competes against Tom Chinnery in Rio!!!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

As much as it pains me to say it, Tom will be of little concern to Matt in rio. The time Matt is posting as achived is way beyond what Tom even has in his minds eye!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt -  the US trials 5000m all time record was broken last yr and it had stood for 40years. That was 13.22.  So you were only 10 secs off being the all time all american hero at 16 and off no training or races.   The world is yours.   

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I'm sensing some scepticism towards Matt's claim here.

• Taxi Driver wrote (see)

I'm sensing some scepticism towards Matt's claim here.

You are very perceptive image

• maybe thats why he posted on a british forum..........in america there might be someone who lives near him and might be able to disprove his ability..

Cannot believe that if he has been running for 5 years and has that kind of ability that the american system would not have picked him up roped him in

• I ran for the bus this morning and did a 10.01sec 100m off no training and in my work shoes and clothes.

• Precisely Seren, if it's true he's a prodigy, someone would have noticed.

Actually he would have noticed before now wouldn't he?

• Nobody in the world ran under 13:38 until Gordon Pirie in 1956, and even the great Henry Rono only managed a 13:06 despite a lifetime's dedication to his sport. And those were on the track - the 5k road record remains 13:00 flat.

Makes you wonder what the rest of the world has been tw@tting about at when some young 16yo Seppo punk can bang out a 13:38 off no racing, and a maximum of 20 miles per week. 

Wake up world FFS.

• This story must be a fantastic inspiration to Tom Chinery eh ?

It CAN be done if you just want it enough...
  • Forgive me if I'm being thick but I seem to have missed the whole Tom Chinnery thing - is there a linky thing?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Is there an age limit for the Olympics - I'll be 56 in in 2016 - Last year at my sons school sports day I ran 8.96 for 100 metres - on grass and beat people half my age. It was definitely 100 metres as the head teacher said it was and my garmin confirmed it too plus mapmy run also mapped it.

• DT19 wrote (see)

As much as it pains me to say it, Tom will be of little concern to Matt in rio. The time Matt is posting as achived is way beyond what Tom even has in his minds eye!

My mouth is already watering thinking about the 5k and 10k at Rio - Mo Farah, Mike Rushton, Tom Chinery (all Team GB) plus Matt Bratovich from US plus all the Africans - it is going to be amazing!

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Forgive me if I'm being thick but I seem to have missed the whole Tom Chinnery thing - is there a linky thing?

Some Tom Foolery: -

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/insane-training-plan----wise-idea/252026-39.html