ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Run out of time...should have been in bed 25 mins ago....will catch up with you all tomorrow so I can read through everything properly

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - good to hear you are sorted and returning to normal activity. I used to hate resting but now I really believe in taking a complete break for 1, 2 or even more weeks if necessary.

We shall see re. the house. Three houses we've been following have dropped 20K in the last week so demand seems to be falling (there's nothing obviously wrong with the houses except for the price). I'm sure the owner will be wondering if they have made a mistake letting us go just as we're wondering whether we should try and raise more funds. It's a case of who snaps first image

Ha - I'm with you on the good view and bar proximity for gigs. I still prefer standing though. We saw the Killers at the O2 last year and it just isn't the same when you're in a seat. Not that I am much of a dancer. I can be coaxed into a gentle bounce but when it comes to dancing I have always been known as 'Minimal Movement Malcs' image

I am toying with the idea of the Dartford half marathon in July and maybe the Orpington 10K in two weeks. However, I may just stick to parkruns for now.

How about you, what's next on the list?

How is Mrs Shady and the Shady bump? image

Sarah - Get yourself back to your packing, don't worry about posting here you are moving tomorrow! Good luck, hope it all goes well!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Malcs, its a horrible waiting game putting offers on houses! I sympathise. You may like to know that next door to me has just gone on the market image It comes with a life supply of granola bars!!

Ady, I think you are right about speed work, I just find it so frustrating, I did manage to knock seconds off my time, but I am impatient, and think I should be much better !!image 

I tried my new shoes out for two miles Tuesday, Don't think I'd like to do any great distance in them, I was aware of the impact as I plodded along. However, I did find sprinting much easier, my stride seemed more fluid and efficient if that makes sense. I will continue to play!

I've been looking at marathons early next year. Anyone fancy Dubai?

• Hi All, i've not eloped but been out of posting action.

Sick children and sick better half has taken all time i'm afraid.

Good news here on the running front last pb I wanted was 10k at 47:07 on sunday. Well happy with this and now to the next challenge.

Glastonbury, now there is not enough space here to give you all my memories from this.  Next week all the influx of visitors start for us. Lovely times.

• Evening all!!

I am lurking just have issues posting off my tablet! but anyway....

I have a race report.......Yay...... I didn't run it but I'm very proud never the less!

THE HAIRY HELMET - 2 and a bit relay race hosted

So this was our club race, its the third year we have held this event,and it was amazing! 1 week before the race we had sold out, we had the capacity for 150 teams, along with the 100 places in the kids 'Little Loop' and they were all full!! I arrived at the park venue at 1 last friday afternoon, and did not stop, putting tents up, staking out courses you know the norm for hosting an event! and as the the runners started arriving I was busy running here there and everywhere, organising is hard! we had 148 team actually run and whole night was a complete success, for running our race you get a pint of beer from the local brewery they ran out and had to replenish their stock twice! After a few beers and dismantling gazebo's in the dark we hit derby! Fab night, that's the good news! and no hangover even after Jaeger Bombs!!

The bad news is that my knee is really not happy! I am really worried about TR24 but what ever happens I will be there! I decided not to do what was to be my first tri on the 14 July (Day before my birthday!) It just doesn't seem to be getting any better!

But on a brighter note...

On Tuesday not only did I do my first ever 2 mile pool swim, (first 20 lengths broken up, the 108 straight lengths) I also did a 23 mile bike ride with a 12 mile time trial in the middle! OH HOW EXCITED WAS I!! I loved it, yesterday I only did a mile. But lets face it I may not be running but if my knee is ok then maybe I can wing tr24 right??

Im really missing running, but can't really bring myself to think of any other races, just get through TR24 and my OW tri in august!

I am swimming at Treeton Dyke again near Sheffield on Thursday and can not wait!!!

• Hi All,

Quick drop in as about to go to theatre image, but only one more on call In Doncaster to go image. Been frantic this week, so no time to think let alone come on here.

Sarah- good luck with the house move!

Malcs- hope the house offers come off- hang tight as suspect they will be more desperate to sell, and likely might budge. Are the Estate agents doing their job and tried to meet half way?

I saw the Killers last year too- I agree about the seats, but loved the show. That was the second time I'd seen them and the first time my wife said if they sang 'read my mind' at the end we would go back to Australia; they did and we did! Same prediction last time but I'm only going as far as Sheffield it seems...

Tigger- love the race report! That is great about the swimming- think I'd struggle to do 2 miles, especially in the pool. what time are you swimming at Treeton? It's on my way home so might try and come next week? Sure you will have a good time at TR whatever happens with your knee.

DS- sorry to hear about the injury- hopefully a bit of rest will ease it, and then you can get back 'in the saddle'- mind you after the bike challenge you are about to do that might be the last thing you want image

Ady- glad to hear things recovered, and that you are back to exercising. What plans have you got lined up?

Reg- hope the family feeling better

Jen- Dubai might be a bit hot for me... What about Walt Dsney World first week of January??? Mickey Mouse shaped medal...

• Lol, thanks Malcs...really cant believe how much moving house involves. We've been packing since I got home from work at 18:00 and we still have stuff left to pack and dismantle. This is despite more than 20 hours of packing....im never moving again!

after we move in tomorrow we've got to drive up to newcastle as were watching the athletics and then were going out for a leaving party so I have a feeling im going to struggle to come on here again properly for a few days as we will need to continue unpacking on sunday....wish I had a week off now!

happy running everyone and good luck to anyone racing...looks like I will be having a few more days off running!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Nice pb Reg! image

Hi Tigger! hey you are seriously on the dark side now!! but I'm so pleased the swim/bike are going well for you. I'm sure you can wing the TR24, but hopefully the knee will have settled by then. Any diagnosis on it??

Sarah, with all your fantastic runs recently I think you deserve a few more days off running. Hope move goes well. With regard to unpacking...I moved 15 years ago and I still have unpacked boxes under the stairs! ( obviously can live without those things!!)

Clive, I must check Disney out, although I have ulterior motives for Dubai, as my daughter is out there, they run at 7.00am, and its pancake flat.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Jen - ha, that would be fantastic. Granola bars on tap image.

So you're going the other way now with your running - sprint instead of ultra? Its all the power squatting!

Dunno about Dubai - I'm with Clive, might be a bit hot for me too or is it indoors and Iain conditioned?

Reg - well done on the PB! Are you in Glastonbury then? Do the bags of sick land in your garden?

Tigger - congratulations on your event, sounds like it went really well. Sorry that the knee is still playing up. At least you are killing the swimming and cycling - brilliant stuff!

Youll be fine for TR24 and even if you can only do one lap you'll love it. Dont overdo it though - keep the knee in check and stretch and ice.

Clive - killers were amazing. I wish I'd seen them before now. My son loves them. Im enjoying this brief amount of time where our musical tastes overlap - I know it wont last!

Nice try for the second Aus trip btw image 

Someone on the Paris thread did Disnand this year and loved it. 

Funny you should say about hanging tight on the house. We did and they came back and said they would accept just a couple of K more than our best and final. They are chain free so it's game on now! Scary stuff though.

Sarah - hope the weekend went well with the move and your trip away. Now you've just got all the unpacking to do image

• Thank you Malcs.

I live in Street which is right next to Glastonbury. The actual festival is in a place called Pilton which is 5 miles from Glastonbury. The whole area this week is going to be hectic with fesitval go'ers. Hopefully no sick though! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

First run for two weeks this morning. Oh dear!!!! Knee uncomfortable all the way. never got worse but wasn't expecting this. In fact, I've had no real pain since last Wednesday and cycled 34 miles on Thursday really hard and no discomfort whatsoever.

I have to make a decision today or tomorrow at the latest whether to go ahead with the End to End bike ride. If I commit to it then the charity has to settle the organisers invoice which means everything I raised during my marathon will be wasted if I don't recover in time.

It's only 10 weeks and would be pretty much starting from scratch again and 1000 miles in 10 days would put huge pressure on my knees as would training for it.

Feeling a bit despondent to be honest. Thought I would cheer myself up by submitting my GFA entry online but the link isn't up yet despite VLM saying it would be there today.

Sorry to sulk!!!image

Back to better things! Sarah - can you put the link up for your three peaks sponsorship again please? How did the house move go?

Will comment on everyone else's exploits later when I get a minute or two, but suffice to say effort of the week goes to Tigger - It sounds like you earned a few beers there!!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - so sorry to hear you're having to face these decisions. If you had no pain from it on the bike on Thursday then surely that's a good sign for the cycling at least? Maybe it's just running that's aggravating it?

I guess you're probably asking yourself the same questions. If you think that the training will be touch and go then the event itself is going to be tough. Might not be worth the risk. It's a shame that you can't do a few weeks training and then decide.

Really don't know what to say. I'm just gutted that you're wrestling with this issue so close to your event. image

Reg - what's the general feeling about the event locallly, is the festival viewed as a positive thing for the area? Do you ever go on a day pass or do you totally avoid the area?

• DS2 sorry to hear about your injuries. and your dilema's. The end to end would be a fantastic achievement but at the end of the day there are other rides but you only have 2 knees!

The festival does bring a huge amount to the local area and so many people benefit. From catering to stewards (which get paid) A lot of local schools supply people and this brings funds into them.

I used to go with a local carnival club, would be up there from Sunday to the following Monday after it finished. Not now though as I am no longer a  member and with kiddies and all that. 

Love to go back again and will at some point when the line up is better.

• Hi, sorry I haven't been on here for a whole, been a bit of a busy week and we don't have Internet sorted at our house yet so I'm having to do this on my phone which I a bit of a nightmare. Thankyou for all your kind messages and good lucks for moving. The move actually went quite well. It was a long day, from 7am until 11:30 pm but we got quite a bit done. Drove up to Newcastle afterwards arriving there at 1am so it was a pretty long day but it was nice not to be able to do anything but chill for a day. The athletics at Gateshead were fantastic ad my night out in Newcastle fun, managed to let my hair down and get drunk knowicould wouldnt be running in the morning. Attempted a run on Sunday when I got back to york but I could only manage 5 miles before my foot started to hurt. On arrival back home it was then back to unpacking. Been at work all week and wa working 8-9 today so it's been another long week. I tried another run yesterday ad only managed 4 miles before my foot started hurting again. It's really getting to be now as I'm scared of loosing fitness and speed, I'm supposed to be doing the three peaks on fri and start marathon training on Monday...just hope it recovers by then. It does seem fine when I'm walking so I'm hoping it will be ok for the weekend...if not I will be on the ibuprofen!!

So sorry to hear about your knee Going knowing how I feel at the moment makes me understand what your going through. Maybe just try to stick to cycling and see how the knee goes and if its ok go from the lands end to jOG cycle.

glad to hear that you knee is on the mend tigger with youcomment on FB today...fingers crossed you will be fine for TR24. What swimming event is it down at Treeton dike?

congratulations on the acceptance on a house Malcs....is it one of the ones you had mentioned above? 

• Never been to Glastonbury but went to V and thy sounded the same with pint glasses of pee being thrown around...the shower I had when I got home was the best shower I've ever experienced. Hope it's not like it at TR!!

I wish you was my neighbour Jen!

Addy the race was fantastic, synch a lovely atmosphere and horgeous scenery. I hope to go back many of times. Have you recovered completely from comrades now? What do you plan to do next?

• DS2 this is the link for my sponsor page, thankyou http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SarahAttwood

Not long now!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

DS2, don't envy you the decision. image how frustrating after all the great training and hard work you've been putting in!

Good luck for Three peaks Sarah. Hope the knee holds up, watch the downhill! Haha I'd love you as a neighbour as long as you didnt think I'd be a running buddy! I'd be on a bike to keep up!!

Malcs, no I'm not changing to sprinting, in fact I've just printed out application for Born to run Ultra image lol

• Haha thanks Jen image

Tell me more about this born to run ultra?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Sarah -its 40miles all on cycle track, mainly flat with one long gradual incline for 10 miles which you come back down. march  29th. only 100 runner, you get well looked after! tempted? Google Born to run ultra Llanelli  

• I will google it now...wanted a new challenge for next year!

my run went better tonight, and because I was in the gym I wasn't rained on....who would think it was the middle of summer! I managed 7 miles in 60 mins tonight. My foot twinged a few times but didn't become painful like on tue and make me stop running. I'm so relieved! 

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I would recommend reading' relentless forward progress' by Byron Powell , Sarah. and to further tempt you, seaside accommodation can be provided! !  glad foot seems better.  

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Jen - excellent, good for you! Have you submitted your application yet?

Sarah - that's a great sign for the foot. I reckon you're well on the mend now. Very best of luck for the weekend!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

cheque written, stamp on envelope Malcs! image training for ultra starts the week after I do Snowdon!!  All advice /tips  will be gratefully received.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Wow Jen, that's fantastic. I have no idea about ultras - will have to leave the hinting and tipping to the Shade-meister. 

Well done on going for it!

• Morning all! Jen that is amazing! Go girl! 

Just thought I'd share.....only 1 stabbing of the knee on Friday and non at all yesterday,  even after my ow swim smooth training course! I am saying nothing more as yet! Watch the space thunder runners......

Oo and entered my first 1500m ow swim! Yay! Its on saturday eek! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been sulking!!!!!!!!image

Sarah - glad to hear the foot is a lot better - but be careful, these things can develop into something more sinister very quickly, especially when they are an overuse injury.

Jenf - respect!!!image I will follow your progress with great interest.

Tigger - impressive swimming. I'm always in awe of those that can swim well. I'm rubbish - keep meaning to take some proper lessons but can never seem to find the time!

As for me - still no running. Cycled to work a couple of times last week but uncomfortable when I get out of the saddle so I have had to take the rather regrettable decision of deferring my LEJOG ride. image I have decided to make sure the knee recovers completely before resuming serious training so may take at least this week off.

Enjoy the week - I'm off to wallow in self pity!

On the plus side - I have been accepted as GFA for VLM14 and have paid the entryimage. At least it's nearly 10 months away!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hey DS2, a good sulk always makes things better! Do it properly, a week is minimum! and you have to say 'its not fair' at least three times a day, and call us all lots of names.image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Talk about contrasting fortunes.

DS2 - so, so gutted for you. Sounds like you made the right call though.

Great that you're into VLM - that's something positive for sure! You have plenty of time to get yourself sorted for that and for Abingdon in the autumn. By then all this will seem like a distant memory and you'll be flying again. 

Also, VLM GFA + LEJOG on your 50th year - that's a pretty nice way to celebrate image

Keep your chin up.

Tigger - I'll whisper this but it all looks like it's coming together for you in time for TR24. That is great news on the knee. Also, brilliant swimming. I'm with DS2 on the swimming. Very impressed. Best of luck with the OW swim. I've heard they are quite an experience. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs/Jen - thanks for the support. I'm being quite positive and got a really nice email this morning from the charity organiser. My money raised so far is not wasted and can be carried over to whatever event I do for them next year - it looks like LEJOG isn't going to happen next year so may do London to Paris again - it's a great event if anyone wants to join us.

Hopefully, I can get back to training soon and give a decent account of myself at Abingdon. No real pressure since it is a stepping stone to next April.

It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair ...........................I blame everyone on the 26.2 thread for getting me over excited about training.......it's all your fault....image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Well its day 2 of my SNOD marathon plan, all going well so far image