Is 13:38 a competitive 5k time for 16 year old

Comments

• Grendel - the image of you at the start of the dad's race at your son's sports day with your finger poised over your garmin start button is a funny one - I remember one year trying to do it in work shoes because I was too embarrassed to wear trainers as I might look like I had come prepared.

From memory all the dads waited until someone persuaded them to go to the start even though they had obviously spent the whole sports day waiting for the dads race. (or maybe that was just meimage)

• But did you win, Skinny?

• Not in the work shoes Bob but I clocked up 3 wins (including one in a banana suit - another story), 2 second places, a couple of mid fields when I wore work shoes and a fall flat on my face just in front of the finish line and everyone else trampled all over me - I fell right in front of my daughter and her friends, she wasn't happy.

I retired at 40 with my last win when my wife said I looked too determined and everyone else looked like they were enjoying it (I won that one!!)

• Ha, ha...excellent stuff! 

(I'll be the one with the determined face when my turn comes in a year or two as well I'm afraid - these competitive streaks run deep. image )

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I've never won one, even in my younger days when I was a 2:40 odd marathon runner - now 20 years later and a lot lot slower and a lot lot older I don't have a hope!!!!  My only saving grace is one of the dads is 59 and has bad feet!!!!! So am never last!!

Anyway back to topic - come on Matt where is that picture of your time from the treadmill that you promised us even though you don't see why you should jusitfy yourself to a bunch of sarky Brits.

• No Dads races at cougie Jrs schools. Clearly we've sent him to an athletic backwater.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If he is, as seems likely american, then he will only now be having his oreos and milk and mentally preparing himself to pop on the treadmill and smash out a world record.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

my first dads race tomorrow,  i have tapered today, do you think spikes and starting blocks would be too much?

• It's a good job Stateside sensation, 'The Brat' is (probably) neither a Dad nor British is all I can say, Deano.

All the spikes, starting blocks and even performance enhancers in the world would still leave you trailing in the wake of this undiscovered prodigy.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

DeanR7 - I would take the starting blocks and spikes - the important thing is to embarrass junior. (super glue or chewing gum is also needed just in case they decide on an egg and spoon race. 

• Peter: Well done on your 10.01 100m todayimage

Was it a standing or rolling start ? No starting blocks either, might have got you 'sub 10' if you had them with you...image

• DeanR7 - given that you still haven't managed to break 2 minutes for 800 metres I would think you should save yourself the shame and give the race a miss.

• Dean - I think at your speeds a tempo effort should suffice - after you win try not to walk back to the school gates with a stupid smug look on your face - my wife didn't like that either!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good point Max, but one of the other dads has a bad knee so i got him beat so hopefully wont be last.     i have already talc'd the lycra body suit in preperation.  I have emailed the teachers and they are looking to get it on Po10.

i will think of something suitably embarrassing for my daugther, maybe my knee high compression socks crossing the line gangnam style.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My main reason for having kids was to beat other dads on sports day.  So far, no such thing as a parents' race has come about.  To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.

To the OP: Bit sluggish.  Work on it.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Given my ealrier comments looking back I thiunk I have always been first vet 50!!!

• I bet none of you lot would want to race Matt's dad - imagine! image

• you lot should run the mothers race.....they always seem to think its just a laugh.....the art is to wear some casual shorts and trainers ....becuae its summer.....without letting on that they have beem selected for maximum running potential......and then make a fuss when people say come on join the race....then go and slam the competition

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

My main reason for having kids was to beat other dads on sports day.  So far, no such thing as a parents' race has come about. 

You wanna get on the board of guvnors and start making changes!

• seren nos wrote (see)

you lot should run the mothers race.....they always seem to think its just a laugh.....the art is to wear some casual shorts and trainers ....becuae its summer.....without letting on that they have beem selected for maximum running potential......and then make a fuss when people say come on join the race....then go and slam the competition

Love the competitive edge serenimage

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

I bet none of you lot would want to race Matt's dad - imagine! image

-----------------My Father was actually a Marathon runner back in his day, before he   blew his knee out. He's also very old so running isn't his thing anymore!

I woke up this morning as stiff as I have ever felt, so I feel very doubtful that I can come close to my time Today, or Tomorrow! Soon though I will give it a shot! And I will re-familiarize myself with the metric system just to be sure image

Also not quite sure how to get out of this quoting box...lol, as you can tell I'm new to forums.

• Matt Bratovich wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I bet none of you lot would want to race Matt's dad - imagine! image

-----------------My Father was actually a Marathon runner back in his day, before he   blew his knee out. He's also very old so running isn't his thing anymore!

I woke up this morning as stiff as I have ever felt, so I feel very doubtful that I can come close to my time Today, or Tomorrow! Soon though I will give it a shot! And I will re-familiarize myself with the metric system just to be sure image

Also not quite sure how to get out of this quoting box...lol, as you can tell I'm new to forums.

wow.don't tell me he is over 40image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt - promise when you realise the mistake you will tell us what it was. image 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Can't believe how sceptical you lot are. First shattering Tom Chinery's dreams, now this. Tsk.

• Is your real name Barry Allen?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All the usual suspects have been hooked into this thread, it's like the RW Stasi!

At least Matt is following the more classic approach of quoting some hilariously impossible training time.

The boy Chinery favoured the less common "what he will do" approach.

Both have their ridiculous merits though.

• Stevie... Did you see the Alex Vero documentary? 

It was a few years ago, but I only saw it last week. He went from zero to 1:13 HM in a very short space of time... I'm thinking Master Chinery could actually do it! 

I think if we didnt have jobs, that 70 min HM wouldn't be so elusive. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nah, Tom C's got a job now, Tim. I'm pinning all my hopes on Matt instead.