Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Never ran on an indoor track, I can imagine the turns are fairly sharp!

Good Luck then for tonight Stevie, its time to take that sub 10mins!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Stevie - you could start with this: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur%20Lydiard.pdf
    If you want a book, the best one, imho, is the original Run to the Top (from '62), but it can be hard to get a copy of.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

TT, didn't do the Lydiard bounding stuff. TBH I wasn't following Lydiard's training except from a distance. The downhill running came from a comment made by Julian Goater.

Most of my training has been of my own making. I'll pick on an idea now and again and literally 'run with it'.

The latest mileage came from just wanting to run along with no element of pushing the pace. As a result, my average mile pace has slowed maybe 30 seconds per mile. However the benefits have been surprising.

Some things are just accidents. One road I did reps on took the form of a shallow 'V'. It was fast down hill and use the speed up the other side, turn and return. Very effective but at the time I gave the profile no credit for the improvements gained.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Dachs, yes I'm from the Burnley massive. Not an avid fan of the football club like Matt though. 

Seb, quite a few of my mates are entering them sort of races. Very pricey too by all accounts. Some ran short? Annoying if so. 

Nice session Tim. Very wick with the first but still a very good pace for the session. I'm sure that PB will go very soon. 

are you still thinking of a session on Friday SG? Still able to knock the miles out though which is always a plus.

Hopefully a PB for Stevie tonight at Trafford too. 

Track Tuesday in sunny lancashire. 15 x 300 off 90 secs. First 12 at 48-49 secs then 47, 47 then 45 . Pace picked up at the end as it becomes a sudden death race for the last 7 Reps. Starting at 60 secs the cut off drops 2 secs each rep. Miss it and you're out. Some like to just dip under by I prefer to go the same pace throughout And make it a solid session. Very pleased with the session. I was told by the coach that i had an effortless action and maybe I should try the 800 or 1500. He thinks that with some proper training It might be my kind of distance. I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of pain though. 

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Which reminds me Ric, I must get Julian Goater's book image It's supposed to be a very good read. I found the same with pace. I seem to have a sweet spot when my easy stuff comes in between current MP + 1:30-2:00 that allows me to hit bigger volume sessions and improve quicker from them. I also do a far amount of jogging too which is substantially slower than that again.

• Cheers Matty! That's a good session! Never tried 300s .. That's an intense pain later during the set I'm sure!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

800 for me tonight. ended up in heat 8 and target was 2.04.

went off well, and tried to keep out of trouble but found myself in 3rd.  Kept a decent pace and went through 400 in just under 61.  Was feeling good but the 2 in front of me didn't look too strong now and I was tucked right on their shoulder with 200 to go. with a 100 to go I move out to lane 2 and kick, passing them both and cross the line stopping the clock in 2.02.92.  A 3.2 sec PB.  happy days or so I thought.   they put the results up on the clubhouse so I went to look to see how close the 2 chaps were but I wasn't on it.  Checking the results again I notice I'm in 8th and with no time, so I assume its just a problem with the timing, but then I realise a DQ, next to my name.   WTF? How the hell have I been disqualified?   I wait to catch the race referee and he tells me I clipped the inside line of my lane and I broke early.  Well it's true I did run close to the inside of my lane but never went over the line and I definitely didn't interfere with anyone's race.  I definitely didn't break early, in fact to stay out of trouble I didn't go to the inside lane until 30m later.  But the officials word is final and i respect that even if i feel hard done by.  but as I won the race the clock stopped on me so I got to see how I ran but it won't help with rankings or Po10.   Also stevie was there and saw so can back me up image  The important thing is I know what I ran and the fact it's not on Po10 doesn't change that.  

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

completely forgot you were racing Dean. Apologies. That'd really piss me off and I'm not sure I could hold my tongue so credit to you there. At least you know that you've ran well and have improved on last time. Will you be searching another one out soon to get one on the board so to speak? 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nearly there Dean, sub 2 will be yours .

When at my fastest (relatively fast) I had a go at an 800m time trial. For the purposes of accuracy I had my wife hold the watch. For what subsequently happened I asked her if she knew how to use it. She did, ok.

So I smash my guts out and my wife holds out the watch with 2:13 on it. And then adds, "oh, you'll have to add on a bit, I didn't push the right button to start with".

It was the nearest I've ever come to punching her lights out. Instead I settled for taking the watch and kicking it over the fence of the track into a nearby field. 

Bob Parker (Bedford's coach) occasionaly reminds me of this incident nearly 20 years later. I was a bit annoyed at the time.

TT, Mike Gratton once wrote, "Don't force the pace, let it come to you". Takes some thinking about as most runners can only imagine going faster by using force. Even the easy runs. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unlucky Deano, nothing like a disqualification to leave a bad taste. I guess it's just a different world on the track, I was a bit shocked at my 1 3k the judge shouting "any pushing and shoving and i'll restart it".

Pushing and shoving?!

You'll have to get back there and not hug that inside line quite so closely, save that for training image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mattl wrote (see)

Dachs, yes I'm from the Burnley massive. Not an avid fan of the football club like Matt though. 

Hmm, this line played havoc with my tiny brain. Aren't you Matt?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Will try one last day of a 6&4,to make it 3 days in a row of that, then TH OFF, and hopefully will be in place to do a light quality sesh Friday. Then hopefully back in the game, rather than this skirting around it couple of weeks period.

Dachs, my stable has grown to 3. Skinny (who lurks, howdy Skinny) is having a similar slight niggle easy running limited period at the moment, but did smash a marvellous 5miler, and he should be on for a 10k and half pb once we get him over this niggle.

The other 2, one is making me think I've under played her training zones, so comfy is she finding them, and the other is probably where she should expect to be, having just done a big 10k pb, but it was a little soft.September's half is her big target.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Good effort Dean despite the Jobsworths.

RicF - image Got to love them though eh?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

SG, my brother in law is called Matt too. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Tim - nice reps indoor. Would love to have a go on an indoor track but a 5K would defintiely be a little arduous!

Matt - nice track Tuesday. how many take part in those sessions and are you all closely matched ability wise?

Dean - unlucky fella but great effort and fantastic time to boot. 3 secs in the scheme of things is a big PB

SG - good to hear you're on the mend. Was @ Wycombe Rye at the weekend and kept my eye out for a lanky git easy runningimage

Ric - a good reason for my wife to not get involved in my running at any level

Track Tuesday here too last night. 6mins threshold + 8x 600m (200m jog). Can't recall doing 600m reps before so wasn't sure what time to aim for. Managed slightly faster than 5k pace for them all so happy with that and all done in 1min 55s to 2mins. The last 4 really hurt.

EDIT: How'd you get on SS???

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

some good training going on johnas, tim and matt - looking good.   Matt i personally hate sessions that mess around with times.  unless it it to replicate a race i like to keep my pace the same.

Johnas - it certainly felt like a big step forward and set up the rest of the summer nicely for a shot at sinking the sub. But its still a big ask but i guess thats what targets are all about.  i felt i controlled the pace well, ran tactically and that at 150m to go my coach commented that even though i was 3rd it was clear to see who was going to end up winning.  so hopefully there is more to go at.  One of the team videoed all our races so will be good to review it to see my rule breaking, the official words used were i clipped the inside line of my lane (i was in the outside lane) so its not like i cut across the steeple chase pit image

stevie did well last night, im sure he will be along soon to tell

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Johnas, my second claim club has a few class runners. Most unfortunately seem to do sessions on their own at the track or on their own away from it. I do get some company on the reps though. Theres quite a few juniors who are very handy too. 

At my first claim club there's a lot of older runners with quite a few who are more interested in the fells so i used to run a lot of reps solo. 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Dean ran so well last night it was pretty frustrating to see the DQ. There is no way on earth the track judge can see if Dean 'broke 2meters too early’ from over 100m away. He seemed a little smug and patronising to me. Was a great race though and Deano smashed an epic 150 to break clear for the win. Suppose it's a 'lesson learnt' eh Dean?!image

I ran the 3K 3rd heat. I should have been a bit more inventive with my time as a lot of folks went sub 10 in that group for the first time, while in my race you'd have to pretty much front run it.

In the end I ran 10:05, a 3 second PB but obviously far from what I'm after. I was on target for 2K then lap 5 and 6 I dropped 3 (ish) seconds each, leaving me needing a 72 last lap. I finished with a 77 I think. Was a better race, and didn't feel half as shocking as i did in the Cheshire’s. My hamstring was super tight from Sunday from the off. Also, I went the docs on Monday and I have low haemoglobin levels for some reason so that will play it's part (that wasn't even the bad news!!).

I honestly think next time I'll chop 10 seconds off that time.image But I said that last time!!image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

He seemed a little smug and patronising to me. .

.whilst that could normally apply to me, stevie does mean the race referee (i think) in this caseimage

it looked like you got your race spot on for a PB last night and then with 2 laps or so to go you could see you tie up a bit, suprised it was 3 secs a lap though as you were still moving ok, but as you still had enough left to sprint home so i think those 5 secs will be found plus a few more.  I thought you needed sub 10 for a PB so was a result to realise it was a PB last night. Congrats.    Hope whatever the bad news was on monday its easily resolved. image

Ha ha, yes the track judge not you! I'm not certain of splits as I don't wear a watch in track races.

Monday was fine, low white blood cells and hemoglobin, but not anemic. They were very inconclusive, hence more tests. They also saw a dark shadow on my chest so I've had a second x ray, but I've been told not to worry as it's not likely to be anything menacing. The most likely cause was a 'density shadow' caused by my own body rather than something else.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good races all round guys.

Dean, I thought 800m races with tactics involving a change of pace went out the ark.

The modern way is one almighty sprint with the winner being he who slows down the least.

I suggest a 59 second first 400m, then hit the 3rd 200m as hard as you dare and then see how much you blow up (Though I doubt it) from 600m onwards.

It was a good enough tactic of Coe's to discover where his training may need adjusting.

Just done two days of 12 miles. Speed session tomorrow. Only aim is 'not to tear a hamstring or something'.

Stevie see wrote (see)

Monday was fine, low white blood cells and hemoglobin, but not anemic. They were very inconclusive, hence more tests. They also saw a dark shadow on my chest so I've had a second x ray, but I've been told not to worry as it's not likely to be anything menacing. The most likely cause was a 'density shadow' caused by my own body rather than something else.

Mind if say WTF!?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Track officials have to be a bit officious, that's in the contract.

Like the ones who told me off for nipping across the field rather than go the long way round.

It was about 9.40 and all the field stuff had long finished, if there even was any! Weasels.

Ric, having done 3 days in a row of 6&4 now, I don't know how you did that spell of the same distance every day. DULL!

Was tighter today, but I guess 30miles in 3 days at around 6.53 average isn't too much to moan about. Hopefully coach man has the perfect light quality for Friday that will test the water, but not destroy.

Ric, it all sounds worse than it is mate. I feel fine and am running ok, so can't be anything too bad. Back to the docs tomorrow to discuss blood test round 2! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

take it easy stevie, you're a very game fellow running through all manner of viruses etc...

Must be something in the name Stevie, being ultra keen!

• Dean, tough on the DQ, but I am sure it will give you some more mental strength on the next outing. At least it is early in the season and you won't have to wait logn to find another outing.

Midweek summer 5k series for me yesterday evening. The course is one I raced in 2011 (17:52 and my po10 5k PB) and 2012 (19:22, in the middle of the PF crisis last year when limping was vogue) so a course of highs and lows.

Came out at 18:05 in the end with quite even splits of 3:25, 3:25, 3:41, 3:41 and 3:43. Splits do tell the tale, spirited start, then gradual decline and in the end a lack of dedication to push on a grass and track course when I have Last Friday in Hyde Park tomorrow which is officially measured and on flat tarmac.

Last month I did 18:28 followed by 17:59 and I would really like to get 17:51 or better.

Starting to get a bit hacked by Steve Roberts at Handy Cross who is coming into a good spell of form. Head to head we are 8-8-1 on po10 (but the draw is actually a win of me so I am 9-8 up) but a few races recently off po10 have gone to him.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, was it suspected short again this year? Always seemed to come out quicker than the others by a big chunk, despite having a heck of a lot of twisty bits midway, and being mostly grass and rough.

Hopefully, all legit distance, and a good performance by you. Was that a top 10 job?

They changed the course a couple of times when I did it. You used to arrive and be parallel to the finish on the track, only to have to go all the way round, which always felt cruel! Then they reduced that pain, in that the finish was the other end of the track.

Just a question though, how can you quote the PO10 head to head, when it doesn't include the 5k series races. That'd be  a couple of races this season alone not factored in!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Good luck with the docs Stevie see.

Doctor reports haemoglobin and white blood cell levels on the up... all I heard was 'there's a PB on the way' image

Nice 4 this afternoon followed by 5 x 1K off 3mins later tonight.

• SG, Maidenhead is always short on the Garmin, 3.01 miles yesterday, and always a different course so this year it started on the track, 3/4s of a lap, then the main part, then back along the main road almost all the way beyond the track and in a little gate to a short finish. Finish was much better as last few years it has been on grass and a long out and back when the finish is in sight. I was 9th I think: was coming back gently in 10th and one runner came back and I pulled alongside a Wargrave runner but he wanted it badly so I let him sprint finish. Meep meep was there too. Datchet had top 4 and were missing 3 big guns.

The head to head has al the cross country races and includes Thames and Chiltern leagues so is 17 races which is a fair sample IMHO.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Puts me off when you know a course is likely to be short, but they protest it's accurately measured.

The change in route is even more annoying, as you can't even use it to compare to previous years.

Seems like only the first couple are well measured from what I can see, and remember from last year....

the Datchet one is especially up and down, as they seem to change that finish point too.