RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carter there is no doubt - you know how to treat your lady. 

I'm assuming Mrs C is aware that you are indeed 'quite the catch' ?!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Yes Ricky, although I do have to remind her on a regular basis just how lucky she is.....

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Thank goodness you're there to remind her carter!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I can assure you she doesnt feel the same way about it image

I'm out for a 10 MLR this evening and think I will take in some hills on the run.

What's everyone else's plans ?

• Rest day for me - just had two speedy sessions on back to back days which was naughty ... Only 2 days in to P&D and I'm breaking the rules already tut tut.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - I'm in the same boat with my wife.  She just doesn't recognise how lucky she is... image

I've got a speed or hill session tonight, which ends up being about 2 or 3 miles of effort plus warmup/cooldown.

For my October marathon, I've signed up for a Half in September as a taster to see how I'm doing.  I haven't done the event before, but it's supposed to be flat and fast so it will be a good race to see how my training is going.  It's not ideally timed as it's a short while after I return from holiday, and also a bit too far away from the October marathon but beggars can't be choosers.  I looked at others, but this was the best for various reasons.

Can I add a couple of events to the thread calendar?

8th September - Bridgwater Half Marathon.

20th October - Dartmoor Vale Marathon.

I will say that I'm not expecting an epic time at DMV as it's hilly.  I've entered it as it's local and I need something to focus the mind from a training perspective over the next few weeks.  If I can keep things going after DMV (barring injuries etc etc) I think I'll be in reasonable shape for a marathon attempt next Spring.  That's the plan, anyway!

• Hi gang - apologies - I'm not getting on the forums much at the minute as life keeps getting in the way.

I've had a quick ready over the last few days and it sounds like the training is going well.

Carter - stick with the LT sessions - they do work even though they are tough.

I managed to get round the Wales Trail Marathon at the weekend. It was brutal but great fun. I'm not training seriously at the minute - just enjoying myself doing lots of trail running which is what I love.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

June 30th - Thame 10k – Andrew

June 30th - Mersea Island around the Island race 12.2 mile XC - Oirish

July 6th – Para’s 10M Colchester - Oirish

July 7th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

July 14th – Dartford HM - Oirish

July 14th - Whirlow 12:12 trail race - Carter

July 21st - Olympic Park Anniversary 5M - Carl

July 21st - Dundee HM - AliBali

August 4th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

August 4th - Helensburgh HM - AliBali

August 10th - Long Tour of Bradwell (16 miles) - Carter

August 24th - Thames Meander Marathon - Oirish

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 8th - Langham 10K - Oirish

September 8th - Salford 10k - Rachel

September 8th - Bridgwater Half Marathon - Big_G

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

September 29th - Loch Ness marathon - AliBali

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM – Carl

October 13th – Oxford HM - Andrew

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 20th - Dartmoor Vale Marathon - Big_G

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - yep, the LT sessions  are tough but already getting easier so I'm hoping I can continue with how the way things are going at the moment.

Good to hear you finished the Wales marathon. Brutal you say ? Does that translate in to lots of long, steep hills ? What was your time ? Have you anymore races planned before Robin Hood ? I agree with you about trail running, it's so much better than pounding the sreets all the time

Also on the race schedule for me is Perthshire Half Marathon 7th september

Today I went after work for a quick 4 miles in just over 30 mins. Main plan for me this week and going forward is to get back to those long runs which I do love. Planning 15 miles on Friday on a nice out and back route through the lovely Aberdeenshire countryside. I also know that I need to do more in the way of challenging runs and less 'easy' runs. I am just so busy with work and other things just now that running easy seems, well, the easy option.

Carter- how was your 10 miler tonight then?

carl- hope you're not too jealous reading this thread whilst out. We are all with you in spirit and know how frustrating it can be!

spoons- I LOVE trail running and would really love to do a trail marathon! I think that although I'd obviously be much slower, time would pass quicker than doing a city marathon! Although Inverness is not a trail marathon, one of the reasons I look forward to it so much is to be doing a marathon where much of it is in countryside not cityscape.

• Time was 5:29. There were no flat bits! 

I've entered the Dovedale Dipper up near Carter in the Peaks at the beginning of August. Another hilly trail marathon.....

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

There are a couple of Dovedale events including the dipper. I'm thinking about entering the Dovedale dash with the hounds as its a bit of a fun run where kids can also enter. There is a section called the stepping stones where you have to cross a river and depending in the weather the crossing can be slightly tricky. 

10 miles for be tonight that took in 3 decent hills. It certainly gave me a good workout and once again I felt strong. All is well in the carter running world at the moment 

• good to hear things are going well Carter!

•  

How the devil are we all? I've tried to speed read through all that I have missed over the last few days but it has been a bit hectic at Chez Oirish, I have no idea where this week has gone.

Well after a few days rest and some time resting the old hamstring I have managed two runs in two days without any hiccups. It was a steady 6 miles last night and a bit of a speed session this evening over the track. I thought it best to start tentativly last night and went at a steady 8:55 pace. Tonight opened up the lungs again and all in all I think I am good to go for Sunday's run image

It is a bit of new ground for me doing this race it is around an island and is a combo of footpaths, sand, trail and grass and is meant to be fairly tough. Why do I always find the tricky courses? On the plus side no matter how badly I do it'll be a PB at the 12.2 mile distance image

I am really looking forward to this, it is 8 miles down the road and offers some pretty fantastic scenery with an ice bath in the sea  afterwards, what's not to love?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - great to hear that you are ready. Sounds like it will be good fun as it is not your normal type of race and as you say it will be a new PB. You never know you might get converted to these types of races and before we know it you will be running XC ultras.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - really pleased to see that all is going well with your recovery and training. Really sounds like you are enjoying it too which is even more important.

I remember those dark and cold winter nights and cannot honestly say that I enjoyed thoses sessions.

Am expecting great things from you.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons - great to hear from you. Funny how life seems to get in the way of most folks as the summer comes round. It somehow seems easier to be more disciplined about running in the winter even if the cold weather can make it really tough.

Great result for you in your trail marathon last weekend and you are anotehr on here who has come through a tough time with injury and are back enjoying the running again.

Gives me hope.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

AliBali - frustrating is only about the half of it. Another session planned with the physio for tomorrow and am hoping that I can restart light training next week. Everything feels much better but I still need to keep working it.

Having been away this week helped as there was not much time for thinking too much.

I have however got stuck into my P&D book. Alot of good material in it.

The LT runs look tough.

Reading about diet. This is definitely an area where I need to focus on.

Anyway good to see that everyone is generally getting on with it. Hopefully I will be back out there soon.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Keep your chin up Carl.  Hopefully you'll be back out there soon.

I got an 8-miler in after work today, with 5 at half marathon pace.  It's a session I do fairly regularly on the same route and it's interesting to see improvements over time on that session.  It was a bit drizzly today, but that made it quite refreshing.

Last night there was a surprise party at a pub for two people from my club.  They both recently ran their 100th marathons at the Dartmoor Discovery, which a 32-mile Ultra our club put on.  It was a really good turn out, with buffet etc, and a really good cake image

/members/images/465898/Gallery/cake.jpg

• Spoons = great result on a brutal 26.2 mile course! Well done sir.

Carter - it appears the USM is well & truly back in business!

Oirish - great event at the weekend by the sounds of things - don't forget to pack your tom-tom  image

9.5 miles "General Aerobic" run this evening ... avg pace 9.05

• Hi all, been a little absent for a few weeks, tbh I've been sulking at not being able to run much with my ankle so been avoiding all things running! Been having Physio on it, lots of ultrasound on the calf and a nerve that runs down the inside of the leg and ovand the ankle bone I think. But fingers crossed its slowly getting there.

anyway its too late in the eve for me to read through and catch up, so I hope everyone else's injuries have continued to improve? That utility our runnigood going well? Ill try to catch up over the next few days. May even have a race report to post on Sunday (had to withdraw from the last two annoyingly but thinking of running the 10k I had planned this week and try not to go too crazy. Pity as this was the race I had targeted for as sub 43 push)

will make sure I check in again over next few days all image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hi Andrew - good to hear from you again. Good news that you are slowly getting there, even though it's frustrating.

Ricky - have you been a naughty boy ? I thought P&D said General Aerobic runs are 15% - 25% slower than MP ?

Big_G - mmm, cake. Cake is good !

Carl - the LT runs are basically the same sort of thing we were doing earlier in the year but with an extra couple of miles warm up/cool down really. I'm sure we will cope with it.

Oirish - good to hear from you. Your busy summer calender is carrying on this weekend, best of luck with it.

I've had to change my runs around this week due to 'stuff'. So, I did my long run this morning, 16.7 miles @ 9:55. The legs still feeling a bit heavy towards the end but I've not got a recovery week to look forward to. Beers tonight with Mrs C........

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - the provisional route for Robin Hood has been announced - http://www.robinhoodhalfmarathon.co.uk/race-info/marathon.htm.

It's pan flat so I'm looking at you qualifying for London under GFA image

• Did someone say cake???? image

Ricky - No need for a Tom Tom on this one, it is literally around an island, hence the random 12.2 mile distance.  As far as I can tell if my feet feel wet I need to go right a bit........or if I start getting encouraged by supporters in French. At the first "Allez Oirish" I know I'm lost.

Carter - You are definitely well and truly back into the swing of things and that GFA is within sght, it's disappearring over the horizon but it is in sight. image

Spoons - Tough old race that one. Hats off to you.

Carl - They often say sportsmen become better following an injury period as thet get to step back and analyse their sport. It sounds to me that this is what is happening with you, the more I read the don'ts of running the more I find myself thinking "Oh I do that. Oops"

You'll be full equipped to come back even better once you are all healed. 

As for being ready I have just ticked over between races, got my LSR's in but generally just listened to my body, I'll do the same next week too. I'll do a recovery run Monday, maybe some speed stuff Wednesday and a gentle tick over for a couple of miles Friday before giving it a bash  Saturday morning. It'll be another PB as it is over a 10 mile course. Another distance I haven't done before image

Then after this fortnight it is back to a more formulated training routine ready for the end of August and my next Marathon. Where has this year gone?

oirish- your race sounds really fun and I can't wait for a bit of a report.

Carl- I am interested in what you're saying about needing to work on diet- what does your guide say about diet for training?  I am sure this is also an area I could work on quite a lot!

Today my run was a weird one...I had planned a slow 15 miles at just under 10 min mile pace but unfortunately our online shopping was late to arrive (exciting story alert...) and I had a haircut later in the afternoon, so the gap between shortened...I had about 2 hours to run so headed out annoyed I wouldn't get my 15 miles in but went ahead anyway.

Had had a horrendous night's sleep last night and was feeling lethargic, stiff and just generally lacking in energy.  I also felt really dehydrated and hadn't eaten or drunk much in the morning.  And not getting my allotted time to run put me in a stinking mood.  But lo and behold, a couple of miles in, I realised that my legs had a bit of spring in them, and I was starting off a good bit quicker than I normally would.  Ended up running about 14 miles in the 2 hours, so just around 8:35 pace I think... and weirdly felt amazing!!!  Hadn't planned to run that fast at all and don't know where my energy came from.  My legs are feeling sore now and my body is exhausted but I am very happy.

Just  one of those strange days when all the odds are stacked against you but you still end up running well.  Can only hope that those kind of days happen to be on race days...but alas, not often!

• Great running AliBali - sometimes the best runs come when you least expect it and yup it never seems to happen on race day!

Andrew good to hear from you & good to hear you are on the mend.... the hospital ward that is this thread has had quite a few dischargees over the last few weeks. I think just Carl left but close to signing himself out by the sounds of it.

Carter - well done on the Long run... just a few short weeks ago I would never have thought you would be getting that sort of distance in by now ! image Mmmm I forgot about that P&D rule for GA.... I just sort of ran it at Long Run pace & heart rate.... I am hoping to be at 8;20 MP for Dublin so +15% then would be 9.35 pace for GA runs I suppose. Maybe 9.05 was a little fast - felt quite slow though.

Oirish - good luck with the race... you will burn up the course for sure!

P+D scheduled me for a 3 mile recovery run tonight but this summer training brings extra distractions - it was 10pm when I got in from cutting the lawns, strimming & washing the car. I'm not stressing too much about skipping it as it's only a recovery run and I had an extra session this week anyway with my Club session on Tuesday. 12+ miler will end the week tomorrow (moved from Sun morning to facilitate a game of golf image)

• 14 miler this afternoon.... 9.23 pace .... extremely hard to slow down to this pace!

P&D say LR's 10 - 20% slower than MP... so for me that equates to between 9.10 - 10.00 pace

That's week 1 done - 17 to go! 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - well done on getting week 1 done. I thought I ran my LSR's at a slow pace when preparing for the Paris marathon. But reading P&D this week, clearly I ran them too fast. I can see that you found running at the recommended pace a challenge. I seem to remember you running these a little faster a few months ago. But everyone says P&D is good so they must know what they are talking about.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - best of luck tomorrow. It is going to be a hot one so make sure you take on plenty of fluid steadily beforehand. And if you do detour a little no worries.

Saw so many people out running today enjoying the fine weather. It would be nice to be out there too.