Advice for a newbie

Evening all, 

I am new to a regular running routine and looking for some advice. I am running to improve my fitness and lose weight although I do feel like I would want to enter events further down the line if it goes well. 

I've been going out regularly now for 4 weeks running every 2nd or 3rd day. I started running between 2 and 2.5k each session but the last 6 runs have been 4k each and I've improved from around 33 mins to 26.15mins in that time. 

i feel like I'm getting stronger each time I go out but how do I make the routine more worthwhile?

At the moment at the end of a run I'm feeling tired - as if another k would be a struggle - do I keep going at 4k for a few weeks to build up my fitness or try to increase the distance now?

im not particularly concerned with speed however I'm finding it difficult to move past 4k. Slowing my run down so I have more energy at the 4k mark is difficult because I feel like I'm holding myself back and not running a natural pace. 

How do I overcome this?  At the moment despite my fears when I started this I am really enjoying the runs and looking forward to the next one so I don't want to overdo the distance and start hating it again. 

Is 4k every 2 days too much for a beginner? It doesn't feel like it is but it's significantly further than I was expecting to be at this stage. 

Any advice gratefully received. 

Comments

• hi Deecee, glad you have discovered the joys and benefits of running image I am soon off to work but a few quick thoughts....maybe enter your local park run (5k I think and free but need to register), join a running club (they sometimes have beginners groups), run with a friend occasionally, vary your run distance and maybe do some shorter runs with the odd burst between lamp posts and you will really feel the benefits. I only started running 7 years ago and built up gradually. I like a goal for training, so entered some race for lifes (5k) then some 10ks, half marathons and now am training for my 3rd marathon. I never ran before in my life and I started running age 40 so anything is possibleimage You will also get great support and advice on the forums. Good luck!

• Thanks lily of the valley image I will take these suggestions on board. 

Broke the elusive 4k mark tonight with 5k done in 32 minutes. I'm no world beater but this to me feels amazing. Legs pretty sore though. 

Thanks again image

• Not a bad time at all! I struggle to beat a 43 min 5k right now; I just seem to be Mr Slow and steady image

I increased my distance on rua a week, initially by a very small amount.  I'd literally turn about, run for 40 seconds, turn back to finish. I did this until the distances matchednatural  routes extensions. I can now quite happily plod my way to 6.5 miles and feel like I've a few left. right ink I ran my first non-stop mile in January.

• To be honest if 6 weeks ago you'd told me I'd do a 43m 5k I'd have been thrilled (to steal an old joke, my PB for a 5k used to be .. 1k image) so I'm amazed at my progress. 

Next step to increase the distance gradually over the next 3-4 weeks. 

In my younger days I used to be very fit so maybe despite my years of inactivity and putting on weight I've managed to regain a base level of fitness quite quickly. 

Legs still insanely sore tonight image

good luck dnth!

• Deecee, as the above have posted 5k in 32 minutes is admirable considering you are still very new (this time around). 

As a 53 yr old guy for the next 10 days (I'll be 54 not a girl then btw) this time around my 5k best is 30:35 and am sure my (first) marathon training will get me sub 30 minutes if I try again. Now, I'm not suggesting you go sign up for a Marathon but if you run (slowly) over the 5k distance you'll build up stamina and aerobic fitness which will help you over 5k.

As for losing weight through running, yes, it will help but, remember it's about 3500 calories to lose 1lb of weight and thats not counting the calories you may take in pre/during/post run (so be careful). I burn about 500 cals/hour so thats 7 hours of 'running' to lose 1lb!. A decent 'diet' (hate that word) will be the best way to lose weight and running will play a role as well.

As for being tired after every run that's natural to start with but you may think about slowing down during most of your runs? Have you thought about trying a Parkrun?  Free 5k runs in lots of towns across the country.