Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• I was planning on shorts as I have been trying to address the tan lines that i got burnt onto me in a marathon  in april 2011,(having trained all winter in the snow),which mean I look like I'm permanently wearing gravy coloured calf supports, but red spotty rash thighs probably aren't any more attractiveimage

• Just thought I would say thanks to all the organisers of this marathon, myself and my buddy Neil are very much looking forward to coming down from Gloucester on Saturday to be tortured on your Dorset trails.  Weathers looking good at the mo which is a bonus ! 

• Nettles !!! .... I have re-read through the course description a number of times and I see no mention of nettles .... ah well, I suppose the sharp stinging pain will be a nice distraction!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Nettles? noooooooo not the evil nettles image

I'm trying to pack 'everything' for the weekend but forgot one thing... where the tent isimage

• I do like a good list.  I ought to make one, but will do that tomorrow night, when I get back from sunny Scotlandia image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

yeah I was thinking that too...
    get up, put on kit, drive to start, pin on number, run (walk), drink cider, collapse
    have I missed anything?

• will you be checking it twice? image

• Well that's it now ... last run done .. 3 miles .. leaden legs ... stitch for 2 of them ... and felt like crap ... gotta love the taper (and more importantly gotta hope it gets better on Sat.)

• Lol I've hurt my knees so will be a bit hit and miss now. Just feel badly bruised and a bit sore to run on, don't think its chondromalacia patellae (Easy for me to say or runners knee) so hopefully a few days rest will do them some good. Should have tapered too but the GHM is my long run this week  image At the moment i'd settle for getting round. Will be very annoyed if I can't do this now image

• Cake! How are you doing? image

Virago -I won't be checking my list twice - if I haven't got it, I'll have to manage without. image

Dustin - is there anywhere you need us to put you when you collapse?

Lee - what's on your list?

Bruce - it'll be great image

• Bad luck TV, you're not alone. I strained my groin playing with the dog 3 weeks ago and haven't run since.  All I've been able to do is risk a few medium walks with a teeny bit of running built in. I had hoped that would be enough time for a fuller recovery, but the tuggy feeling persists and I may have to be very measured in my pacing to get through this.

On the bright side, just being at the start of the first GH will rock, there will be cake  - plus at my revised pace, I can now include carpet slippers amongst my footwear choices.   I love ths stuff.

.... and I have a list.

• my list starts with Ibuprofen and ends with paracetomol image Even if I got to walk all the bloody way i'll do it

• TV - how have you managed that? Or has it been coming on for a while?

Thanks for the home-made gel info - I will give that a try, but not this weekend. Am trying without gels :S

• Vixx,

Oh its been creeping up for a while, definitely over use me thinks. I rested 3 days last week and it was OK for Monday's run but Yesterday it was back. So I am thinking of resting till the day and play it by ear. It's strange as its both knees - doesn't hurt when I walk - doesn't hurt when going up and down stairs - doesn't hurt to touch. Its more of a niggle, I can run ok but there's running 10-15 miles and theres running a marathon!

Yeah i'll be packing my home made gel in my funny plastic tubes image

I think I would die if I didn't have my gels, I'm out there far too long. If I were a bit quicker I'd reconsider but this Saturday eitherway i'll be out there a while

• pre-race haircut now all done and dusted image

• I think GB should have had a hairdresser at mile 6! Would have been a good idea

• Even I wasn't planning to be out there long enough for my hair to grow.  image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TheVicar wrote (see)

I think GB should have had a hairdresser at mile 6! Would have been a good idea

At the marathon du Medoc there is a make up station at Mile 25... will that also be the case for us? image

• Make up station is that for the photo at the end? You got to look your best!

Perhaps next year GB if you don't have a break down this year?

• I'm not sure about getting your make up 'touched up' at mile 25, or getting a 'cut and blow dry' at mile 6  but some of the rumours I've heard about mile 20 ... imageimageimageimage 

• If I make it to the finish line within the time limit, my smile will be so bloody big, no make up would ever be able to top it.

It may just need somebody to pick me up and turn me over to see it, but it'll be there.

Bruce, you started most of the rumours about mile 20.

• Ah boo, I'm not going to be able to make it, I think I may have been banned anyway as I actually trained for it. I have a 125 mile bike ride instead but alas no medal with a penis on which is sad. Not sure what the policy is GB but someone is welcome to my place if that's how it works, otherwise stick my entry fee in the charity pot, Bruce can have my cake and Emmy can have my cider.

• That's a shame Kate, but good luck on your bike ride.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

Bruce, you started most of the rumours about mile 20.

That's true... But he needed to get himself going somehowimage

KateF wrote (see)

Ah boo, I'm not going to be able to make it, I think I may have been banned anyway as I actually trained for it. I have a 125 mile bike ride instead but alas no medal with a penis on which is sad. Not sure what the policy is GB but someone is welcome to my place if that's how it works, otherwise stick my entry fee in the charity pot, Bruce can have my cake and Emmy can have my cider.

Kate: say it isn't so??! how will we be able to rule the marathon talk podium?! I will happily drink your cider for you image

It is the one thing I regret about taking part, I don't actually get to watch you good runners do your thing 'cos you leave me behind so quickly.  That's a pity, I'd have liked to see how strongly you guys can run this course.  

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dawn Shadow - Stay with the 'relaxed' crew... I have a feeling we'll have a lot more fun!

• Ooh yes Emmy, I'm definitely with the 'enjoy the view and have some more cake' crew.