Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Um, Loch Leven seems a good idea as I'm driving passed. Plus I won't be able to get lost. 

• I  would appreciate some advice.

I will start training for the Royal Parks Half in a week or two and am trying to decide on a training plan. I have been running for about 2.5 years and done 6 HM's all in the 1:50s.  My PR is 1:52:30 and I would like to break 1:50.  I have a tendency to run at medium effort too much.  So, I don't have much experience running Fartleks, mile repeats etc, I just go out and run.  I am usually  pretty good about running hills during training because the small town where I work (and run during lunch) is pretty hilly. 

I am also trying to lift weights 2-3 days a week to improve my woeful upper body strength, so I would like to run 5 days/wk at the most.

Any training plan suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.  have any particular plans worked well for you and why?

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

LA - I am a devout follower of the Runners World Ultimate Schedules.

My first HM last year was 2.06, then 2.07 then 2.08. Getting worse as you can see.

Then I followed their sub 2 hour schedule - I bagged a 1.55, then a 1.50, 1.43 and this weekend in Shrewsbury a 1.41.

I've found a schedule that I enjoy and are easy to follow. But each to their own.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I know I've only done ten races but I can remember the time on each one. Does anyone else have this problem.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

I know I've only done ten races but I can remember the time on each one. Does anyone else have this problem.

I wouldn't call it a problem.  I know all my marathon times down to the second.

LWA - it's what suits you for a plan.  If you're running 5 times a week, the general combo to get faster is 1*LSR, 1*tempo (fast bit in the middle), 1*speed (intervals), 2*recovery.  All of your runs should gradually creep up in speed.  A spreadsheet is essentialimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh and to add to ATM's lovely non-running post: I have a new vacuum called Henry.  SUCK it Henry, SUCK MY FLOOR!  Bwah haaaaaa ha.

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

oh and to add to ATM's lovely non-running post: I have a new vacuum called Henry.  SUCK it Henry, SUCK MY FLOOR!  Bwah haaaaaa ha.

Perve image

Well, happy to report that my run led to a state of clarity and calmness and have been able to communicate important things today. My run was good, although I feel it now. Sore Achilles, probably some trigger point tension in my quads. Was a jolly good workout.

14kms, came second only to Yan the Dog  by a metre or so (but I guess he probably did another km than me). Second place human runner put in a strong challenge but I broke him on 'Heartbreak Hill'. Managed to do the course in 56:36 which I was very pleased at given my general lack of training and total absence of any speedwork. Not so far behind my two previous better times of 54:22 and 54:37. It's the fastest anyone from our work running club has done the course in the last year.

LawyerAaron - my recommendation would be to find a good, structured running programme, and base your training times on the results from a VDOT Calculator. You don't have to understand it, just do it. If you want to understand (optional recommendation, read the excellent book Jack Daniel's Running Formula).

Cheers, TD. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    James B 73 wrote (see)

I wouldn't call it a problem.  I know all my marathon times down to the second.

Umm.. No. I dont. I know roughly the times down to a minute for the 'important' ones.

TD - well done on the race and hope today has gone well. I wish i could say the same - i'm going to the gym before i send an email that i may regret later on tonight.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Emmy - do you HAVE to send it today?  Sometimes it's a good thing to sleep on it...if you're able to.

TD - My Henry is powerful, has a large bag and an ecofriendly setting.  GRRRR!

• TrevO, if you are looking for somewhere to eat I can recommend the Bein Inn at the north side of Glenfarg on the old road to Perth.  They do nice bar food.

http://www.beininn.com/images/stories/beininnbistro.pdf

http://www.beininn.com/

I used to drink in the pub in the 1970s and I recently ate there with my French foodie teenagers who gave it a big thumbs up.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Well done to Yan the Dog ! Perhaps we should ask him for advice.

I answered 5/7 question correctly on Ultra marathons but it means nothing as I still think JD running formula involves coke and ice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23044244

• ATM - guard on the Eurostar yesterday started his announcement with 'Leesten ver' cairfully, I shall say thees only wernce' image.

+1 for Henry the hoover, although I'm not sure I've ever been quite as keen on mine as RS appears to be about hers...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My Dyson doesn't suck a single bloody thing that I want it to.  Do I need a Henry?

LA - P&D.  That is all.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

henry is red with a smilie face.

• Great running TD (and Yan of course). I  am struggling to find any speed at the moment.  I know it is there, just struggling to find the motivation to dig deep enogh to find it!

ATM - one thing is certain - I will NEVER win a triathlon! My swimming is slow, my cycling is slower, and my running (whilst relatively good)  doesn't  claw back enough time. And it's my first open water race. Would be nice to see you though.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

ooo, it looks like http://www.llhgb.com/html/triathalon.htm  , Simon.  I think I'll enjoy watching that... Have you tried OW swimming, yet?

I have a red, Henry-looky-likey. It's rubbish.

• ATM - i have only managed 2 OW swims - totalling about 10 minutes and 200 metres!! I hope they allow life jackets.

• geezz..  running..   it seems ages since my mind was focussed on running...

In the meantime..

We moved house a few days ago and in updating my car insurance to the new address I was pleased to hear that I would get a refund...  this morning I received my new insurance documents, 10 pages, sent first class mail, announcing the proud refund of £0.14...!!

yes..  14p...   image

Living the dream........

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

yes..  14p...   image

Living the dream........

Don't spend that too quickly, Pet!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

You're surely not gonnae spend it all! Young people, I don't know....

• I think I need good financial advice.....

where's yer_maj..?

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

I have Henry as well but I might have to lock him away when RS comes round .....

Just had a ruddy marvelous day on centre court. Fed Ex just got mailed back to Le Suisse. Now having a quick pint with all the toffs before me and Cherub make for North London

• TJB - another one bites the dust. This is the year for Andy Murray. Good to see some serve-volley on display. Do they serve pints?

This IS Murray's year. Yes Stella at 4.8 pp

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

I think I need good financial advice.....

where's yer_maj..?

You rang?

That'll cost you, you know....

• Send him an invoice for 14p.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm worth *way* more than 14p, sweetheart....

• Lost post due to hotel broadband image

in short +1 p&d

henry has eyes too and a snout. elephant vacuum hybrid with cutes

• Another plus one for P&D.

After Sunday's DNF debacle I'vce had a couple of good days.  Did a 14k run on Tuesday with 8k at 4:28 pace.  OK, I stopped twice in that bit but it was very hot and felt a world away from Sunday.  Even better I didn't get much stiffness in feet or calves afterwards.

Yesterday I had another massage and seems my ankles are far more mobile and calves easier than before - good enough that she felt I'd be fine to just work on them at home now.  Then in the evening I did 45 mins on the exercise bike and it felt really easy.  Sunday and Tuesday were the first bits of faster paced running I've done in a long time and maybe I just needed to feel the benefits of those.

Might be too late to get my target time for Berlin but feeling confident I could have a crack at a PB if things carry on like this, and feeling that I'll get through ITLR ok!