Temperature Fluctuations post ultramarathon?

On Saturday I completed the 69 mile 'Wall' Ultramarathon.  It was by far my longest distance run and I am proud to say I made it to the end in 17hrs 44mins.  Unfortuantely in the process I also managed to cause a stress fracture in my foot.

But that isn't what this question is about.  As I am out of action for a few weeks, I have spent most of the last few days on the sofa and have been noticing a weird effect.  My temperature seems to be fluctuating quite a lot.  Every hour or so, I will swing from being cold (Enough to want to pull a blanket over me) to being hot enough to start sweating.  Now, it's not enough to make me really concerned or feel ill, but I am curious as to what may be causing it?

I am a 30 year old male, so preumably the menopause isn't to blame!  After I completed the race, by urine was very dark suggesting I was quite dehydrated (despite having drank a lot during the race), so I was wondering is an electrolyte imbalance/deficiancy to blame for this sort of thing?  Is this a known side effect of running a very long way?  As a sidenote I tend to be very hot most of the time, and burn up when running.  My preferred running temperature is anything below freezing!

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'd hazard a guess that you've really damaged yourself quite badly.

Your mind is so strong that I'll also hazard a guess that the first occasion you consider you've over done things is when you wake up in hospital having been in a coma for a week.

Some people are like that.They need to be sectioned for their own good.

Does that ring any bells?

In mitigation I've just downed two glasses of red wine on empmty and am feeling relitevly  relavxed.

🙂

• Oh dear! Sounds like you may have an infection... get yourself to the doctors!